Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors - Round 6 2016

Bankers

Hunter - very good and got a lot of it

Morris - may be in the latter part of his career but so important down in the defence.

Our overall defence worked very hard and we restricted them to only 9 goals

Anchors

Inability to mark the ball well inside 50 and dependant more on the smaller forwards battling it out on the ground

Turnovers at times - very frustrating
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

We need to kick goals both in open play on the run and from set shots from contested marks in the 50.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers: Hunter - played like a rabid dog's saliva; he was all over the place.
    Morris - as steady as you come, cool under pressure, timely interventionist, plays short, plays tall, he does it all.
    Collective defence - all chipped in and played their parts.

Anchors: Set shots are heading south at a rapid rate. Something must be done.
    The MC - got it wrong this time round. We needed Redpath to replace Boyd.
    Stringer is falling into the trap of playing from behind too much.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Bankers: Hunter - played like a rabid dog's saliva; he was all over the place.
    Morris - as steady as you come, cool under pressure, timely interventionist, plays short, plays tall, he does it all.
    Collective defence - all chipped in and played their parts.

The MC - got it wrong this time round. We needed Redpath to replace Boyd.
    Stringer is falling into the trap of playing from behind too much.
    Stringer played in front against Hawthorn and was beaten by Stratton. I think playing from behind is a Gia suggestion. He almost always did it and Stringer trying to work his opponent under the ball so he can use his pace out the back is something that Gia would suggest I reckon.

If Stringer is going to be it then isolate him as much as possible and instruct him to start deep and lead at the ball carrier at every opportunity. We need to optimise his speed on the lead.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Stringer played in front against Hawthorn and was beaten by Stratton. I think playing from behind is a Gia suggestion. He almost always did it and Stringer trying to work his opponent under the ball so he can use his pace out the back is something that Gia would suggest I reckon.
    Which sometimes comes off when the ball is coming in on our terms. It's a ridiculous strategy when all of our forward entries are under pressure. I simply don't believe Gia would be coaching our forwards to play from behind.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

6. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Which sometimes comes off when the ball is coming in on our terms. It's a ridiculous strategy when all of our forward entries are under pressure. I simply don't believe Gia would be coaching our forwards to play from behind.
    I'm not saying he instructs all of our forwards to play from behind all of the time. I simply cannot believe that Stringer plays from behind as much as he does by choice. Sure his decision making is driven by how the ball is delivered but he has had many opportunities to either decide to take front position or work his opponent under the ball so he can run onto it out the back.

He does it too much to simply be his decision. It was a Gia move, and given Stringer's pace it has merit. I'm at a loss why he tries it so often and if Gia isn't suggesting it then surely Stringer is dancing to the sound of his own fiddle and should have been pulled up by Gia after the Hawthorn game.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying he instructs all of our forwards to play from behind all of the time. I simply cannot believe that Stringer plays from behind as much as he does by choice. Sure his decision making is driven by how the ball is delivered but he has had many opportunities to either decide to take front position or work his opponent under the ball so he can run onto it out the back.

He does it too much to simply be his decision. It was a Gia move, and given Stringer's pace it has merit. I'm at a loss why he tries it so often and if Gia isn't suggesting it then surely Stringer is dancing to the sound of his own fiddle and should have been pulled up by Gia after the Hawthorn game.
    I think it has become an ingrained habit.....one the coaches need to jump all over.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

It's probably a bit of both.

Playing in front on good defenders is a tough gig. It doesn't take much for them to push your starting position into the space you're trying to leave open, putting you into no man's land.

From in front or behind, Stringer needs a relatively open forward line to work within and that requires us to move the ball quickly and cleanly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's probably a bit of both.

Playing in front on good defenders is a tough gig. It doesn't take much for them to push your starting position into the space you're trying to leave open, putting you into no man's land.

From in front or behind, Stringer needs a relatively open forward line to work within and that requires us to move the ball quickly and cleanly.
    This is where we're feeling the loss of Crameri the most.

Man I feel so bad for spending most of last year at the games potting him for being fat. Please come back Stu
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    This is where we're feeling the loss of Crameri the most.

Man I feel so bad for spending most of last year at the games potting him for being fat. Please come back Stu
    Yeah he made a massive difference to how we structure up and how we moved the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah he made a massive difference to how we structure up and how we moved the ball.
    Took all of the confusion out of that zone 75-50m out from goal and gave us a much cleaner look at our forwards leading up. Even made Redpath useful in a couple of games!
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I'm not sure that we were worse on Friday night but people tend to ignore the misses in games that we win so it would seem that way.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not sure that we were worse on Friday night but people tend to ignore the misses in games that we win so it would seem that way.
    No one ignores them on this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    No one ignores them on this forum.
    Yep they've been consistently in the anchors after every game this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think stringer has been trying to do the flashy stuff to much and is not playing the team game. Whoever compared him to G Abblet senior needs to be shot at dawn as I think stringer may have read to much into that article unfortunately. He has been struggling ever since