Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs: North CEO Carl Dilena urges fans to prove small clubs deserve big games Read m

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...24-godvbj.html

North Melbourne chief executive Carl Dilena has urged Kangaroos and Western Bulldogs fans to descend on Etihad Stadium on Friday night to show the AFL that lower-profile clubs should be considered for more marquee games.

As lowly Collingwood and Essendon prepared to clash on Anzac Day, the Roos and Dogs were looking ahead to their primetime date, in which they will square off for top position.

North are undefeated through five rounds, sitting atop the ladder, while the Dogs are second, having lost only to Hawthorn in round three.

The two clubs have met 19 times at Docklands, but never drawn more than 37,299 across those meetings.

But Dilena was looking to top that mark, set in round 22 last year. "We'd really love to get 40 [thousand] plus," Dilena said.

"It's prime time, Friday night, [and the] Doggies are up and about."

North have five Friday night games this year, and the Bulldogs have three, but Dilena said this was a particularly good opportunity for both clubs to push for further chances on the biggest stage of the week.

"I think it's really positive that we've got two Victorian clubs with the chance to play a real blockbuster. It's a real opportunity for us to make a bold statement to the AFL that we can do blockbusters just as well as anyone else in the competition.

"I think that's very important for both clubs in terms of fixturing going forward."

North have beaten Adelaide, the Brisbane Lions, Melbourne, Fremantle and Gold Coast thus far in 2016, with a more challenging stretch later in the year. Dilena, who was appointed to his post late in 2012, suggested there was still plenty of room for improvement.

"It's huge at the moment. It's great to be sitting five and zip.

"I was hopeful of a very strong start, because we've got a tough fixture, probably one of the toughest fixtures in the league this year, so it was very important that we got off to a good start."

North Melbourne have passed 40,500 members, and are striving for 45,000. Dilena was keen to spruik that this was the time for lapsed members to re-sign.

"With North sitting five and zip and on top of the ladder, what are you waiting for?"

Kangaroos veteran Nick Dal Santo agreed with Dilena that the Roos were yet to play their best football.

"I think we are slowly improving. The first month of footy we were winning the games, but weren't playing overly well," Dal Santo told the club's website after Saturday's win over the Suns.

"Definitely in those four games there were some passages that nearly killed us, and we nearly lost because of those things.

"I actually thought tonight was a pretty good, consistent four-quarter effort."

North have overcome indifferent starts to the last two seasons to make preliminary finals, but the former St Kilda midfielder said it was vital to make early inroads.

"It's only early days, but it's really nice to be on the winning side of the ledger at this stage.

"Previous years we've been chasing our tails a little bit and really had to fight for it."

Dal Santo had 28 disposals against the Suns, and said he was pleased with his form so far in 2016.

"I've been happy with it from a different point of view," he said. "I don't think I've had a lot of the footy, but I'm just trying to complement those blokes who are playing a lot more inside, doing the majority of the bulk of the work.

"I've played a lot more on the wing, probably last year and the first five games this year.

"I'm actually really enjoying the role. I'm being flicked around a little bit, which means I have to be across all positions."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs: North CEO Carl Dilena urges fans to prove small clubs deserve big games Re

Normally I wouldn't actively encourage members to pay to attend away games, and I make that statement on the basis that we shouldn't be giving a financial free kick to the AFL and our opposition.

I make an exception here. We need to pack the house out this Friday night.

We need to debunk the myth that only the big clubs can draw a big crowd. That good football will bring people out in droves.

Even if its not a home game we've got the Friday night game we've been screaming for. Its time to make it count.

Gather the Pack. Be More Bulldog.

3. Likes GVGjr, 1eyedog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs: North CEO Carl Dilena urges fans to prove small clubs deserve big games Re

Agree Westdog54. I'm going to the game and looking forward to it. Playing in front of big crowds is a must for our boys in preparation for bigger things in the coming years.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes Eastdog, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And if its close we can push for more next year, the big four is changing and the AFL need to recognise Carlton, Essendon and Richmond have been shite for years and aren't part of the big four anymore.
    Bring back the biff

7. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    And if its close we can push for more next year, the big four is changing and the AFL need to recognise Carlton, Essendon and Richmond have been shite for years and aren't part of the big four anymore.
    Yes Yes for sure ledge. We are surely worthy now. I'm hoping we get over 40K on Friday night at Etihad.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have no doubt we will provide our 20,000 but will North ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

This Friday will hit 45k. No doubt about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Well I have no doubt we will provide our 20,000 but will North ?
    They have averaged bigger crowds than us over the last 2 years so I don't think getting more than 20K to the game will be a problem for them. Is there any valid reason why you think otherwise?

Post Thanks / Like

It would help attendances if reserved seat pricing wasn't so out of control. The cheapest seats on level 1 are $56 plus Ticketmaster fees. A seat on level 2 these days cost the same as a full season junior membership, & not much less than a 3 game adult membership. Even general admission tickets cost around $30 if prebooked.
    Footscray member since 1980.

13. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    It would help attendances if reserved seat pricing wasn't so out of control. The cheapest seats on level 1 are $56 plus Ticketmaster fees. A seat on level 2 these days cost the same as a full season junior membership, & not much less than a 3 game adult membership. Even general admission tickets cost around $30 if prebooked.
    I believe our end this week is the Coventry end as it is for away games at Etihad. Yes it is quite a bit. You will certainly pay more to sit Level 1. 2 weeks ago cheapest L1 was $47 and GA was $25.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    They have averaged bigger crowds than us over the last 2 years so I don't think getting more than 20K to the game will be a problem for them. Is there any valid reason why you think otherwise?
    2015: North average 27,725. WB: 27054

2016: North 18,571. WB: 33025

North looks bad so far due to playing at Blundstone and against the Suns.

Game by Game 2016:

North

Desc Opponent Venue Crowd
    Round 1 Crows Etihad Stadium 25485
    Round 2 Lions Gabba 18021
    Round 3 Demons Blundstone Arena 12607
    Round 4 Dockers Etihad Stadium 23393
    Round 5 Suns Metricon Stadium 13351

Western Bulldogs

Desc Opponent Venue Crowd
    Round 1 Dockers Etihad Stadium 27832
    Round 2 Saints Etihad Stadium 37353
    Round 3 Hawks Etihad Stadium 46808
    Round 4 Blues Etihad Stadium 27622
    Round 5 Lions Etihad Stadium 25500
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The first home game against a Melbourne side will attract a big crowd especially on a Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The first home game against a Melbourne side will attract a big crowd especially on a Friday.
    North don't attract big crowds. Even last year they only had two games in the H&A with 40k plus.

However, I agree they will get bigger crowds once they play a Melbourne team. Last year there were 37k when we played them and it was their home match. I am expecting in excess of 40k this Friday.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    North don't attract big crowds. Even last year they only had two games in the H&A with 40k plus.

However, I agree they will get bigger crowds once they play a Melbourne team. Last year there were 37k when we played them and it was their home match. I am expecting in excess of 40k this Friday.
    If you use our game against the Saints as a baseline for support, and remember that this is 1 v 2, there's no reason this wouldn't go over 40k

Post Thanks / Like

Can't be there as I am in Laos..you will all have to cheer a bit more for me !

20. Likes Twodogs liked this post