Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  43
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Round 6 2016 - North Melbourne V Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I just wonder how deflation it is to the team when all the effort to get the ball in the forward fifty is squandered by woeful kicking at goal. As a professional footballer to miss a shot like Roughy did is inexcusable. At least one of the two set shots by Campbell and Stringer should have been a goal.
    We need to sort this out quick smart. Does our effort in the forward fifty fall on Gia's shoulders? If it does his coaching career might be short lived.
    Can't stand Norf and I'm still getting over the pain.
    I was talking about this exact same thing last week. Reward for effort is not there right now. We're still winning the ball and held up strong in defence so it doesn't seem to be deflating further down the ground....yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I just wonder how deflation it is to the team when all the effort to get the ball in the forward fifty is squandered by woeful kicking at goal. As a professional footballer to miss a shot like Roughy did is inexcusable. At least one of the two set shots by Campbell and Stringer should have been a goal.
    We need to sort this out quick smart. Does our effort in the forward fifty fall on Gia's shoulders? If it does his coaching career might be short lived.
    Can't stand Norf and I'm still getting over the pain.
    Not sure what you mean by "effort" but can you blame a coach for a professional footballer not being able to kick straight from a set shot? Its a basic skill, i would have thought? Look at Cloke for example, who's fault is he?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Was last night an example of the young bull versus the old bull? The way North have topped up with older players is working for them particularly with the likes of Waite and Higgins in possibly career best form compared to our preference to draft and develop?
    I think you are right which now makes me think 2017 is going to be our year. We are still very young and still learning and when our players that are normally best 22 are out, then we struggle to kick a goal. We proved we are still very good in defence, stoppages, contested pos. and getting the ball (total disposals). We just need our best players on the ground. I think Suckling would have made a huge difference last night with his accurate kicking, and Tom Boyd at FF (not rucking) would also have helped Stringer and Dickson.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes 1eyedog, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think you are right which now makes me think 2017 is going to be our year. We are still very young and still learning and when our players that are normally best 22 are out, then we struggle to kick a goal. We proved we are still very good in defence, stoppages, contested pos. and getting the ball (total disposals). We just need our best players on the ground. I think Suckling would have made a huge difference last night with his accurate kicking, and Tom Boyd at FF (not rucking) would also have helped Stringer and Dickson.
    I agree I think Tom at FF for the duration of the match might have been the difference.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I agree I think Tom at FF for the duration of the match might have been the difference.
    What I didn't get last night was why wasn't Tom C or Roughie resting at FF for the majority of the game and to try and stretch the North backman. Poor old Stringer was stuck there as our tallest player and it was never going to work.

I know Bevo is trying to develop Tom Boyd by putting him in the ruck, but I would like to see him 100% at Fullforward in future.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "effort" but can you blame a coach for a professional footballer not being able to kick straight from a set shot? Its a basic skill, i would have thought? Look at Cloke for example, who's fault is he?
    The meaning of "effort" is the work done up the field and some of that is questionable, into our forward fifty the mark is taken and basic set shots being missed. We are producing enough inside fifties but not making the most of it. I think the effort to move the ball off the half back takes more effort because we have lost the players that can brake the lines and distribute the ball with more ease.

With set shot kicking I think I'm as frustrated as the players. Our forwards seem to be turning into Baker-Finch on a putting green.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

What I didn't get last night was why wasn't Tom C or Roughie resting at FF for the majority of the game and to try and stretch the North backman. Poor old Stringer was stuck there as our tallest player and it was never going to work.

I know Bevo is trying to develop Tom Boyd by putting him in the ruck, but I would like to see him 100% at Fullforward in future.
    I'm 50/50 on this because I am worried about the scenario where he stagnates down there. But I think it would be worth a try and as I said elsewhere, perhaps we also look at a second tall marking forward at CHF. Start with Redders, perhaps.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I'm 50/50 on this because I am worried about the scenario where he stagnates down there. But I think it would be worth a try and as I said elsewhere, perhaps we also look at a second tall marking forward at CHF. Start with Redders, perhaps.
    I still think we can have Tom C, Roughy and Tom Boyd in the same team. Roughy has shown he is not a forward, so he can rest back.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo's message to members here

12. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I still think we can have Tom C, Roughy and Tom Boyd in the same team. Roughy has shown he is not a forward, so he can rest back.
    Could be a go and Tom C could rest forward. Worth trying because we lack contested marking power and Stringer and Dickson, etc. might do better into the bargain.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Next week I want to see Libba Wally ansd Koby at every stoppage except when they are having brief rests on the pine. We need to get our hands on it first against the Crows
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that's how I see it too BAD. He was traded as a FF and that's where he should play. While I adhere to the premise that playing ruck time may accelerate his development in some areas, I think the load is too much and it's severely affecting his forward craft.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Next week I want to see Libba Wally ansd Koby at every stoppage except when they are having brief rests on the pine. We need to get our hands on it first against the Crows
    Our problems have nothing to do with winning clearances... We did that last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Our problems have nothing to do with winning clearances... We did that last night.
    Agreed, it's was on the outside that hurt, I had a flashback to 2014.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    interesting where we've ended up in that debate. Before Mccartney my memory was people were critical of the outside players. poor old Eagleton copped it! Now its obvious that winning the clearances is only job half done.

19. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post