Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs skipper Robert Murphy remains unsure if he will ever play again

I think there is a big difference between what the paper is saying Gordon has said and what he has actually said.

The actual quote is:
    “Our philosophy is that we want to make it as difficult as possible for Bob to say no,’’

“We will offer him as fair a contract as we can, commensurate with our other obligations and let him know the decision is his.

“From our point of view, we want him back, we would love him back.
    This basically says we will offer him decent terms that give him no reason not to continue, without going overboard.

Meanwhile the paper is going with "make an offer to good to refuse" including a guess as to his current salary and a declaration based on nothing that we will be matching that. This doesn't come close to reflecting the true meaning of Gordon's quotes, and borders on clickbait.

I wouldn't be concerned that we will offer to much at all, and it will be JMac doing the offering anyway and he has proven himself to be good at his job. Pretty unnecessarily sensationalist article really.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs skipper Robert Murphy remains unsure if he will ever play again

Offering a 34 year old off two knee recos something in the vicinity of 500 would be List management insanity .

Post Thanks / Like

Best player on our list. Objections?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Best player on our list. Objections?
    Yep who cares what he is paid, or any player is I certainly don't.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Not sure offering him 500K to stay sits well with me. Not sure money will be a motivating factor for Bob.
    Not sure we should be mentioning numbers in the media (if PG did actually give a figure). We want him to come back but offer him what's right with consideration to the total list. Murph wouldn't be about the money anyway, he will either play on or he wont, not sure ~100K$ either way will make the difference but it would sure influence a younger fringe player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Offering a 34 year old off two knee recos something in the vicinity of 500 would be List management insanity .
    Veterans list would help mitigate that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Not sure offering him 500K to stay sits well with me. Not sure money will be a motivating factor for Bob.
    I'm not sure the President talking money and list management sits well with me.

8. Likes bulldogtragic, Remi Moses, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Veterans list would help mitigate that.
    The veterans list got scrapped didn't it?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023