Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  44
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things I've learned-V North round 6

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I thought they were cringeworthy as it was the same lame routine every week.

This year they just stand around and do nothing. Even the half time sprint thing is against animated versions of them while they stand and watch. Confuses everyone.

My rugrats love seeing them though, gets them excited.
    Pretty sure that is the same animation every week too. Whichever dog is leading at the 3/4 mark (and usually by a lot) is going to lose comfortably.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I was mystified we didn't have one of them playing deep forward last round considering our "bomb it and hope" plan relied upon Stringer's low percentage speccy attempts or on at least two occasions that imposing figure of 47kgs of pure muscle Bailey Dale trying to outmark two North taller defenders.
    Yeah a TC, Stringer, Dicko and quality small set up seems like a logical set up to me. Even if the small is a Honeychurch instructed to apply pressure. We really are robbing the forward line (Dicko at half back and Stringer back / midfield) to plug the back line holes. As soon as Suckers and JJ get back the better we'll be. We have some small / midfield depth but that's about it. We have no depth across half back or anywhere within the forward line.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yeah a TC, Stringer, Dicko and quality small set up seems like a logical set up to me. Even if the small is a Honeychurch instructed to apply pressure. We really are robbing the forward line (Dicko at half back and Stringer back / midfield) to plug the back line holes. As soon as Suckers and JJ get back the better we'll be. We have some small / midfield depth but that's about it. We have no depth across half back or anywhere within the forward line.
    I can't agree with this comment...We have 5 HBF'ers currently injured.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I can't agree with this comment...We have 5 HBF'ers currently injured.
    Who are the 5?

I'd say we have Murph, JJ and Suckers that's 3. I think it's pretty clear that no one else can fill the role anywhere near to the same standard.

If you're talking about Smith and Prudden I'd say you're joking. One hasn't played the game, the other has played one, neither are guaranteed making it and both are coming off knees.

I'd pick Lynch before either of them but he's not ready either.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Who are the 5?

I'd say we have Murph, JJ and Suckers that's 3. I think it's pretty clear that no one else can fill the role anywhere near to the same standard.

If you're talking about Smith and Prudden I'd say you're joking. One hasn't played the game, the other has played one, neither are guaranteed making it and both are coming off knees.

With injury comes opportunity

Prudden probably would have been one they tried there although I don't see him in that role and not sure if he's played it at VFL or AFL level. Smith if healthy plays that position and does it well so I think he would have got a call up. I really rate Smith, kind of a poor mans Easton Wood at this stage of his career. Plays tall, good leap and grab, doesn't mind a stroll with the ball in hand. I'd love to have him fit and healthy right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    With injury comes opportunity

Prudden probably would have been one they tried there although I don't see him in that role and not sure if he's played it at VFL or AFL level. Smith if healthy plays that position and does it well so I think he would have got a call up. I really rate Smith, kind of a poor mans Easton Wood at this stage of his career. Plays tall, good leap and grab, doesn't mind a stroll with the ball in hand. I'd love to have him fit and healthy right now.
    I thought Prudden was impressive last year when he played in the backline, I think he only got 3 games. He is a good kicker of the ball and goes in hard.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought Prudden was impressive last year when he played in the backline, I think he only got 3 games. He is a good kicker of the ball and goes in hard.
    That's coming from someone with a very poor memory thanks to 2.7 years of very poor sleep. I don't recall him playing back but further up the ground. I'll take your word for it though.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm talking about depth though. Smith and Prudden are no more advanced than Dale or more specifically, Webb, less so actually. We seem more inclined to reshuffle our mids / high half forwards rather than bring in our so called depth players.

Post Thanks / Like

Who are the 5?

You never pre-fixed your comment by saying the same standard.. Nice add-in.. Of course we don't players to play to the same standard.. JJ and Murf are absolutely elite ( competition elite) players and Suckling is widely regarded as the most damaging kick in the comp.

And I'm absolutely talking about the likes of Prudden and Smith who are depth players.. If they were available they could adequately fill a role as required and allow for better structure.. Will they contribute as much as the players missing.. Not a chance, but they would be handy to have available.

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't an add in and I didn't need to prefix it. I said anywhere near the same standard. I don't think they'd even get a game to be honest. They're not ready and as I stated we are more inclined to reshuffle than bring in the likes of Webb, who would be better options than both Prudden and Smith.

I don't know about you but to me a depth player is someone who can come in and play to a similar, but not the same, standard as the first choice player you have out. Prudden and Smith cannot do this regardless of their injury. They are young players on the list who are not ready for the rigors of AFL. Goodes would be a depth player.

I'm talking about a Grundy or a Richards going down and a Reid coming in.
    Last edited by 1eyedog; 05-05-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't an add in and I didn't need to prefix it. I said anywhere near the same standard. I don't think they'd even get a game to be honest. They're not ready and as I stated we are more inclined to reshuffle than bring in the likes of Webb, who would be better options than both Prudden and Smith.

I don't know about you but to me a depth player is someone who can come in and play to a similar, but not the same, standard as the first choice player you have out. Prudden and Smith cannot do this regardless of their injury. They are young players on the list who are not ready for the rigors of AFL. Goodes would be a depth player.

At full strength we have Wood, JJ, Biggs, Murphy, Boyd and Suckling to play the HBF role.. To me that is pretty good depth.

It's just shit luck that 3 of them are injured.

12. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we had someone of similar standard as JJ or Murph they'd be playing already. Your definition of depth is unrealistic when applied to star players.

At full strength we have Wood, JJ, Biggs, Murphy, Boyd and Suckling to play the HBF role.. To me that is pretty good depth.

And having Prudden, Webb or Smith as backup for one or two would normally be enough quality cover. But as you said they're injured.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    If we had someone of similar standard as JJ or Murph they'd be playing already. Your definition of depth is unrealistic when applied to star players.

And having Prudden, Webb or Smith as backup for one or two would normally be enough quality cover. But as you said they're injured.
    Correct and they are.

Post Thanks / Like

Crameris run would be handy too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I was mystified we didn't have one of them playing deep forward last round considering our "bomb it and hope" plan relied upon Stringer's low percentage speccy attempts or on at least two occasions that imposing figure of 47kgs of pure muscle Bailey Dale trying to outmark two North taller defenders.
    Redpath named at full forward. Seems we're not so crazy after all.