Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perspective

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    That's crap and you know it.. Even given the outs the number of chances we wasted and the basic skill errors we made, often resulting in North goals was inexcusable.

Time is on our side, but not being able to execute basic skills under the type of pressure that you get from decent opposition is an area of great concern.
    The age and experience of the playing group means we'll have some up and downs, where we just have an off night and look terrible. Combined with our best users out of the team and no genuine focal point up front, I'm not surprised we struggled.

Similar to the Demons game last year.

I'm sure it is an area of concern for the coaching staff, not sure how what I've said contradicts that. I'm just not going to throw a tantrum or get depressed that we're no good after a game like that.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The age and experience of the playing group means we'll have some up and downs, where we just have an off night and look terrible. Combined with our best users out of the team and no genuine focal point up front, I'm not surprised we struggled.

I'm sure it is an area of concern for the coaching staff, not sure how what I've said contradicts that. I'm just not going to throw a tantrum or get depressed that we're no good after a game like that.
    Completely agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Well said.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mantis. Hawthorn had patches where they lost Gibson, Mitchell and Hodge all throughout 2014 yet they found a way. We have to be a team that finds a way when the chips are down. And you always take your chances when you are 10M out, yes Mr Ruckman from Ballarat who GD has spent many weeks talking up!!!! Heartbreaker!
    But can we all make a note of this game - Jordan Roughead was not injured. Ok?
    Our forward line's kicking was the problem and boy did they have their opportunities.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

This is almost the Positive Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I'm circumspect about any team's season prospects this early in the year, including ours, which is why I've not let myself get too carried away with our early ladder position and form - especially given every game we've played has effectively been a home game!

Yes we're young, and yes many pundits tipped us to either stagnate or slip a little due to that and the improvement of some teams around us. We're playing a long game, one that will see us improve areas of weakness on our list and develop the players we think can come on the journey with us.

I've no doubt that even with the same players in the side we can improve and at least be more competitive and cleaner with the football than we were last night, so the upside of Daniel, JJ, Suckling and Boyd returning is as obvious to me as it is everyone else.

The things that concerned me about last night were things I'll be looking for closely over the coming weeks. I don't want to see a pattern of sloppy use by hand and foot, crowding of the contest and a lack of spacial awareness, and quick kicking from contested situations or bombing to the forward line handing massive advantage to our opponents. These things over time would present as a relapse into how we used to play, and ultimately a mental issue the club would need to address because the players who played last night are largely capable of not doing those things with the regularity they did.

Post Thanks / Like

That's crap and you know it.. Even given the outs the number of chances we wasted and the basic skill errors we made, often resulting in North goals was inexcusable.

Time is on our side, but not being able to execute basic skills under the type of pressure that you get from decent opposition is an area of great concern.
    We had lots of key players out last night but we were in the game from the start pretty much and they had their opportunities to finish it off. If only we took our chances and executed a bit better. Cannot fault our work rate which was of a high standard.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I thought we had a bit of a down night last night but thought the boys all gave their 'all' however I was disappointed in the spelling error in the first line about Luke Dahlhaus's 100th game. It was glaring. Should have been spell checked!

Post Thanks / Like

Perspective is that it is not as if we were fielding our best side last night and it is still relatively early in the season. Only Bob and Crameri are certain to miss the rest of the year. That is bad but last year we had a "winning season" without 2014 club champ Libba jr. Plenty of players to come back into the side and plenty of time for a few to find their form.

A real dark horse for mine would be a successful return of Clay Smith in the last third of the year.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Am concerned injuries have generated a Flag Which May Have Wagged scenario instead of TFWW I envisaged all summer.

Post Thanks / Like

And there enlies our biggest problem, take out 4 or 5 of our best kicks and we are left with a team full of contested hard-nuts or one-paced endurance freaks who all have below average foot skills... We need to get the balance better

I don't think anyone is saying we are no good, more that the issues we have had for forever and day don't look like disappearing and it's extremely frustrating.. The distinct lack of poise in our team is depressing!

Post Thanks / Like

And there enlies our biggest problem, take out 4 or 5 of our best kicks and we are left with a team full of contested hard-nuts or one-paced endurance freaks who all have below average foot skills... We need to get the balance better

I don't think anyone is saying we are no good, more that the issues we have had for forever and day don't look like disappearing and it's extremely frustrating.. The distinct lack of poise in our team is depressing!
    Yes but don't blame the team for the injuries. We had out 300+ games of experience and silk from the side. Daniel, Murphy, Suckling and JJ are all playmakers.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

At first I thought our only problem on Friday was smarter kicking inside 50. It was and continues to be something of a problem.

But the thing that was different on Friday in particular was our lack of goals from stoppages inside 50. north had a phenomenal amount of tackles and Ill best the majority of them would have been inside our F50 since the ball spent so much time in there.

Thats going to be a point of interest amongst opposition coaches.