Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'Aussie Rules' Football Coming to Texas? Asks Houston Chronicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I should add that with the excitement this upcoming match is generating and the potential financial returns to the clubs involved, the AFL is keen to support it but are potentially going to change the teams involved to Carlton and Richmond as they believe those two clubs are more likely to attract a bigger crowd.
    No way they push that trade event back to March and start the AFL season in the USA, because that's what they'd be doing. Starting the AFL season in US!! (for two clubs that have enough exposure and money) At least GWS and us have exciting players to grow the market quickly. If that happens its times to get out the pitchforks and march down to AFL house.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I, for one, welcome our new American overlords.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes hujsh, bulldogtragic, Greystache, Ozza, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crazy, just saw this pop up on my FB newsfeed...

http://americanaustralianrules.sport...o-the-usa.html

Houston Chronicle Reports: Aussie Rules Coming To The USA

As the home of all things Aussie Rules here in the USA, we couldn't be more excited with the news coming out of the Houston Chronicle this week.

After the amazing debut performance from America's AFL golden boy, Mason Cox, interest in the Australian football code has sky rocketed, opening up the possibility of officially sanctioned Aussie Rules football games being played in our very own country.

From the Houston Chronicle:

It's been one heck of a exciting, but yet confusing ride watching Texas' very own Mason Cox dominating the 'Aussie Rules' game as the main goal striker for his team. 'Aussie Rules' is not rugby as we are learning fast. The high flying, electric paced athletes that make up this game makes it exciting and thrilling as many Texans have been learning fast. These guys are tough as they are exciting as they wear no protective equipment! Crazy or courageous, we don't know yet.

Earlier this year in January, Houston hosted the Houston American-Australian Chamber of Commerce in partnership with G’day USA, tickets for next year at www.gdayusa.org/event/aacc-black-tie-gala. American and Australian power brokers networked and indulged in fine Australian food and wine which has foodie's tongues wagging. What does this to have with sport you say? The Houston Chronicle understands that trade between Texas and Australia will benefit significantly, and that recent discussions about the January 2017 AACC Black Tie Gala may include a culture trade of 'Aussie Rules' as a must attend event.

Insiders from 'down under' report that an exhibition game could take place in Houston in late January as the timing fits in with 'Aussie Rules' pre-season fixture dates. Sponsors are apparently being sought to make the trip to Texas profitable for two clubs to compete. The two clubs also happen to be the two most exciting 'Aussie Rules' teams, being the Greatest Western Sydney Giants and (Liam Hemworth's team) the Western Melbourne Bulldogs, who could be set for a 'Wild West Derby' at the Houston Sports Park complex, followed by the 2017 Black Tie Gala. Our insiders also tell us that these two teams have a fierce hatred and rivalry that apparently equals Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock in the unforgettable Survivor Series. We will update you very shortly on this exclusive emerging story.

All here at American Australian Rules Insider will be watching this one very closely...
    Could this really be happening?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Crazy, just saw this pop up on my FB newsfeed...

http://americanaustralianrules.sport...o-the-usa.html

Could this really be happening?
    Yes. This is going to be huge for us if the AFL backs us in.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Arthur Vandelay, Senior Sports Reporter for The Houston Chronicle.
    Was just in Texas (well, latish May, love Austin) - this sounds legit.

Check out @WildWestDerby on Twitter
    Last edited by Mofra; 13-05-2016 at 12:02 PM.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Was just in Texas (well, latish May, love Austin) - this sounds legit.

Check out @WildWestDerby on Twitter

Is that the right hashtag Mof? i cant find it on twitter.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Is that the right hashtag Mof? i cant find it on twitter.
    Didn't come up for me either, however, I tweeted the above article and got a like from @USAFL1997
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Didn't come up for me either, however, I tweeted the above article and got a like from @USAFL1997
    I saw it in my search, but not initially. The search said 'go to @WildWestDerby' and I saw it. I think the privacy settings are pretty high on it, naturally.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    George says hello.
    Of Vanderlay Industries fame. He' a big deal in Gortex sales I hear.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently the US AFL media guy has commented on this via Twitter. Any one got a link?

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently the US AFL media guy has commented on this via Twitter. Any one got a link?
    Did you see my post above
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Did you see my post above
    You said the official account liked the article. I'm referring to comments by the individual.

Post Thanks / Like

You said the official account liked the article. I'm referring to comments by the individual.
    Yep, here are the direct comments from Twitter America: @barrishUSAFL

"So an article surfaced quoting the Houston Chronicle saying that an AFL preseason game may be played in Houston in January."

How has this story not broken in Australia? The Americans are all over the story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep, here are the direct comments from Twitter America: @barrishUSAFL

"So an article surfaced quoting the Houston Chronicle saying that an AFL preseason game may be played in Houston in January."

How has this story not broken in Australia? The Americans are all over the story.
    Australian football media is useless.

18. Thanks bulldogtragic, hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Australian football media is useless.
    Could be BS

https://twitter.com/BarrishUSAFL
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff