Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

The YOUNG footballer OFF THE FIELD!!

Hey all, would just like other opinions on young footballers off the field. MJP might be a good one to ask, but obviously young draftees are given psychological evaluations during draft camp, and was just wondering how important these evaluations are to the player getting picked?

For example, Ward seems to me to be a VERY mature kid going by the interviews in the paper. He seems very focused on what it takes to make it in the big league.

I guess the main problem with young footballers is the drinking / partying side, and it takes a VERY focused young individual to stay away from that scene.

Thats what i liked most about Wards interview when he said that athough he goes to parties, he doesnt drink (and wasnt afraid to admit it).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by DOG GOD; 10-12-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The YOUNG footballer OFF THE FIELD!!

These are the types of players that make the big time. They are dedicated and dont take no for an answer. The sad reality though is they are rare. IMO there would only be maybe a handful of players from each club that would be like this.

From my point of view its the players that dont have much natural ability that go out and work hard and start their pre seasons early etc. The good thing with Ward is he is one of these types that work hard, but also he has the ability.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of young footballers are as dedicated as what Callan appears to be but the real test is when they are in the 19 to 23 age bracket and might not be as convinced that dedicating yourself to football is what they really want to do.

MasterHeasy19 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blogger View Post
    I think a lot of young footballers are as dedicated as what Callan appears to be but the real test is when they are in the 19 to 23 age bracket and might not be as convinced that dedicating yourself to football is what they really want to do.
    If you look at it as a couple of fun nights or a career what would you choose?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHeasy19 View Post
    If you look at it as a couple of fun nights or a career what would you choose?
    Do you think every young player sees it like that? I'm sure a number of them think I can do both.

Harbrow_hero Guest

Do you think every young player sees it like that? I'm sure a number of them think I can do both.
    They do over inthe west

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by borgy View Post
    These are the types of players that make the big time. They are dedicated and dont take no for an answer. The sad reality though is they are rare. IMO there would only be maybe a handful of players from each club that would be like this.

From my point of view its the players that dont have much natural ability that go out and work hard and start their pre seasons early etc. The good thing with Ward is he is one of these types that work hard, but also he has the ability.
    Very well said Borgy. If Ward can keep his head straight and away from the wrong crowd, then he is 50% already into his career.

Still ALOT of work to do for him, but he is on the right track.

Good luck to him.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair though it is difficult not to be tempted. Young footballers are feted as the next messiah's for teams down the bottom of the ladder when they are drafted. They have oodles of cash thrown at them, suddenly have celebrity status (especially in one or two team towns) and are still 17 to 20 years old. For every Callan Ward there are a dozen Ezra Bray's who believe that talent alone will get them through. I think its no secret that clubs who have strong leaders who set the example of acceptable behaviour tend to have less issues with younger players. Though as in evrything there are no guarantees.

MasterHeasy19 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Have to agree with that.
    i was more refering to cals case.
    That seems to be his motives.

He's happy to give up a few partys in order to reach his goal.
    Lets hope he keeps that attitude for his career.

Post Thanks / Like

Callan Ward appears to be the type of professional, who, at a number of other clubs would be commended and recognised for his dedication. I have a feeling at the dogs, that will not be the case, as we do not have the party-boy, egomaniacs that other clubs have.