Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  118
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Travis Cloke

Post Thanks / Like

Question Travis Cloke

Ought we? He could be a relatively cheap solution to our short term monster forward problem.

Does he come with too much baggage and is his best football behind him? Or could he give us 2 or 3 years (and maybe a flag or two) of good quality football while tutoring Boyd and Redpath in the finer arts of forward craft?

Depending on what he would cost us he could be very handy. Or am I living in the past and spots on the list nowadays are far to valuable to hand out on a ad hoc basis-we need to do more due diligence and strategic thought before handing them out?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Travis Cloke

He could be a Jarrad Waite type. He could enter our Talls of Shame equally. He's a confidence player devoid of confidence and can't seemingly kick straight for goal. I can't see the benefit outweighing the cost personally. Didn't Bob say we don't need Cloke recently?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

no, never

let Norf have him

stay with Redders and Boyd and invest in them.

we can find KP forwards in the draft or better trade options elsewhere.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

5. Likes Templeton31, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's an ageing forward who isn't at his best and can't play anywhere else on the ground.

He's a dinosaur in modern footy terms.

A tall forward needs to be an absolute gun or be able to switch roles with Ruck or somewhere else these days, it allows you to go in with one less tall, vital with interchange reductions and if there are any injuries.

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He has struggled to make an impact for the past three years. Last year he kicked 34 goals (17 games) and the previous year 39 (20 games). I think Redpath can do the same, ie 2 goals a game and will eventually kick more than that.

No thanks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

His back is stuffed, he's a shadow of his former self.

SEN reported last night (rumour only) that he has already been told he is not going to be selected this weekend despite Collingwood's injuries. That says a lot to me.

He could only play a stay at home type forward role for which we have Redpath and Boyd on our list.

I'm in the firm "no" camp.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the 'no' camp also.

He went through a period where he was a great player - probably from 2010-2013 - a genuine gun of the competition. Particularly 2011 where he kicked about 70 goals and had 4 contested marks per game. History will judge him harshly due to his goal kicking troubles and the way his form has fallen off the cliff in recent times.

I think he is damaged goods these days. The mental scars too great, and probably doesn't have the footy IQ to adapt his game now that his body can't do what it used. Sort of player that may have the odd good day, but his worst can really deflate the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Ought we? He could be a relatively cheap solution to our short term monster forward problem.

Does he come with too much baggage and is his best football behind him? Or could he give us 2 or 3 years (and maybe a flag or two) of good quality football while tutoring Boyd and Redpath in the finer arts of forward craft?

Depending on what he would cost us he could be very handy. Or am I living in the past and spots on the list nowadays are far to valuable to hand out on a ad hoc basis-we need to do more due diligence and strategic thought before handing them out?
    Oh no don't no really. Travis Cloke in the red white and blue, kicking goals? Oh no don't do that no way I couldn't cope. The Cloke family would come to our premiership reunions and they're big and have moustaches. NO really please don't. He could play CHF for us and take a good defender but it would be yucky. He might really perform for us out of that rarefied Collingwood atmosphere with Beveridge as his guide but no don't even think about it. It's a dogshit thought.
    Footscray Football Republic.

13. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if Cloke's body and mind were right (and I don't think either are), I still don't think he's what we need. We already have 2 pretty big forwards in Boyd and Redpath and/or a resting ruckman in the forward line. If we were to add another tall forward they need to be a mobile hard running type.

Post Thanks / Like

Not for us but I'm not writing him off completely as a spent force at this level. He'd be a good fit for the Hawks actually, with Roughy out for at least the next 12 months and O'Brien and Sicily not suited to take the gorilla defenders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

I was thinking there is a better chance of Tom and Jack tutoring Cloke. It is a no from me.

17. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So that's a maybe then?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Twodogs, but is an emphatic NO from me.

As others have said, he is passed it.

Redpath is already better in the following ways

1. Mobility and it is not Jack's greatest strength.
    2. Adaptability - Jack can take a turn in the ruck and be competitive. Jack could also go back and play as a KPD if it became necessary in a game.
    3. Tackling - Jack brings real intent with his aggression.
    4. Kicking - Jack is capable in front of goals and generally a reliable shot.
    5. Personality - Jack is not a Cloke.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

20. Likes Ghost Dog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Sorry Twodogs, but is an emphatic NO from me.

As others have said, he is passed it.

Redpath is already better in the following ways

1. Mobility and it is not Jack's greatest strength.
    2. Adaptability - Jack can take a turn in the ruck and be competitive. Jack could also go back and play as a KPD if it became necessary in a game.
    3. Tackling - Jack brings real intent with his aggression.
    4. Kicking - Jack is capable in front of goals and generally a reliable shot.
    5. Personality - Jack is not a Cloke.
    I hope you are not going to knock his mullet-wearing dad being his agent. That's below the belt.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

A definite no from me.

I think he's definitely passed it. I can't even remember the last decent game he has played. It's not all about goals with him either, he's not even getting the ball. He's been making Liam Jones look like Carey with his numbers.

Can you imagine we finally make it to grand final day, the siren goes and we are 2 points down and Cloke is having a shot after the siren. I wouldn't live to know the result.

Anyway all the Cloke memes wouldn't be as funny!