Post Thanks / Like

Re: PSD & Rookie Draft Results

An update from the club

Scott Welsh
    DOB: 7/12/1978
    Height: 188cm Weight: 89kg
    Recruited From: Adelaide
    Position: Forward
    Bio: Proven 165-game forward who debuted with the Kanagroos in 1996 as a 17-year-old. He played 36 games with the Roos and was a member of North's
    1999 premiership team before homesickness forced him back home to Adelaide.
    He managed 129 games for the Crows and was a four-time leading goalkicker.
    He walked out on the Crows at the end of the 2007 season after being disappointed at being offered only a one-year contract. The Bulldogs have offered the exciting forward a two-year deal.
    Draft history: 1995 National Draft 1st round selection (Kangaroos) No. 17 overall; 1999 National AFL Draft traded by Kangaroos for No.77 (Lindsay Smith).

Three rookies were drafted this morning: John Shaw (Sandringham, Vic), James Mulligan (Southport,QLD) and Henry White (North Adelaide).
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Harry white and James Mulligan will not be training with the club tomorrow.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It's nice to hear we've picked up a couple of ruck prospects, hopefully they're able to develop nicely at Williamstown. They should provide good competitino for one another too, as there's an opportunity to hold down a ruck spot at Willy.

Welsh is a good pick-up, he certainly helps our forward line set-up even if he isn't a power forward.
    W00F!

MasterHeasy19 Guest

waste of time and singlets with bonghetti, lockwood and rose then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHeasy19 View Post
    waste of time and singlets with bonghetti, lockwood and rose then.
    It does look like that, but they were given a chance and unfortunately for them didn't impress enough to be taken. At least they got the chance to train with the Bulldogs and hopefully can take something away from it and be a better chance next year.

MasterHeasy19 Guest

Bonghetti might be playing as an overager next year so could impress then.
    Rose and Lockwood are 20-21? So they really need to step it up in the VFL next year to get picked up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    It's nice to hear we've picked up a couple of ruck prospects, hopefully they're able to develop nicely at Williamstown. They should provide good competitino for one another too, as there's an opportunity to hold down a ruck spot at Willy.

Welsh is a good pick-up, he certainly helps our forward line set-up even if he isn't a power forward.
    Wouldn't Steet and Skipper take those two? Or would Skipper play forward leaving them to compete for the second ruck spot.

Post Thanks / Like

His description sounds pretty similar to that of Cameron Ling when he was drafted - I guess time will tell whether he has the same drive to succeed

Post Thanks / Like

Rose and Lockwood are 20-21? So they really need to step it up in the VFL next year to get picked up.
    Lockwood is 19 for goodness sake.

As for Rose, I am not sure how much more he could step it up - had a sensational year. I am pleased with the ruckmen, but I am not sure how our current batch of rookies will help us if we get some injuries - are any (apart from Hughes, who we would seem to have the lowest amount of 'need' for) - ready to come on to the list and play if required.

Wierd list management if you ask me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

As for Rose, I am not sure how much more he could step it up - had a sensational year. I am pleased with the ruckmen, but I am not sure how our current batch of rookies will help us if we get some injuries - are any (apart from Hughes, who we would seem to have the lowest amount of 'need' for) - ready to come on to the list and play if required.

It seems to me we're kind of using the rookie list to essentially "park" the two talls and develop them. I guess it's a safe way of not investing too much in them while still able to bring them along and work with them. Obviously we could have added a slightly older more developed VFL type to be able to come in and at least compete against AFL size players but it seems as though we're using it more for longer term aims. I think if we have injuries that cut deep enough that we need to promote a rookie lister to cover a ruck or KP, we're pretty much stuffed anyway. Hopefully with 4 players (regardless of percieved ability) able to play the ruck possie we'll have adequate cover.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I certainly understand where your coming from. I would have liked to have seen at least 1 more ready made player added to the rookie list this year as a back up player, but it seems we have taken a more development focused route with the rookie list this year. I certainly won't be complaining if we unearth the next Lade.