Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Palace03 Guest

Re: Best & Worst Bulldog Moments

Worst

Without a doubt the prelim final in 97, infront all day and that prick Jarman gets them up. Was only 10 at the time and me and my mate cried, because we really didn't know what else to do. I didn't really understand just how big a deal it was til I looked over at my old man with his head in his hands, crying, saying "40 f***** years, I was so close" (to seeing the dogs in a GF)

Best: There were some great combacks 2000-2001, Melbourne at TD, Roos at TD, Geelong at SS x 2, Sydney in Sydney. Also the gutsy wins against Bombers and Carlton in 2000.

Beating Collingwood in 2006 also a massive highlight, just absolutly pumped, 1st time I'd been to a final as an adult and really understanding the significance of it all. I'll never forget the train ride home, train was choccas and after the train driver proudly announced over the loud speaker "Go you mighty Bulldogs" the train belted out the theme song, everyone sung except the one poor collingwood bloke standing there with his kid, had nowhere to go

Post Thanks / Like

best bulldog football moment... from sandy roberts just before beasley took a mark i think over gubby allen against collingwood to kick the winning goal.. Sandy Roberts.."and beasley sends out the word"
    Worst moment... Billy Brownless couldnt get a kick in a football factory but kicked the winning goal in a final to knock us out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    best bulldog football moment... from sandy roberts just before beasley took a mark i think over gubby allen against collingwood to kick the winning goal.. Sandy Roberts.."and beasley sends out the word"
    Worst moment... Billy Brownless couldnt get a kick in a football factory but kicked the winning goal in a final to knock us out.
    I don't think it knocked us out did it? I recall it meant we played Melbourne & Gary Lyon kicked 10 before having a rest at 3/4 time, so in effect, as good as knocked us out!

Billy Brownless was one of those players we had the ability to play into form!

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from the fightback which, like TCD says, was just amazing. You cant overstate the devestation of being told your club is gone. I think for me that only losing a child would be worse. I've lost friends and family but I've got a fairly ambivilant attitude to death but that monday night and tuesday was hollow.

It's different to losing any match because theres always going to be a chance to attone next week but now there was no next week.

Then came the fightback which, like TCD says, was just amazing. The spirit, the guts and faith some people showed. Irene Chatfield risked her house-next time you see her at the footy hail the woman because without her we'd have no club. The joy when they saved the club is indescribable, the parade down Barkly st., the old players football game were just some of my favouite memories.

There's a couple of onfield moments too.

Gubby Allen pops the ball onto Simon Beasley's chest in the goalsquare at the 30 minute mark of the last quarter in the goalsquare with Collingwood a point in front, 1984. I think that for pure unadulterated joy that this moment beats a couple of others. We hadnt beaten Collingwood since 1977, we were 37 points behind in the second quarter and in 1984 DEFENDERS JUST DIDNT KICK THE BALL BACKWARDS. I think we had a drink in every pub in Footscray and West Footscray that night celebrating.

The final in 2006. Sitting there with my little boy and watching the Collingwood supporters stream out. He turned to me and said "Dad-can we go and sit in their seats next to the fence, I really want to shout the song out". Just a great moment.

Jordys goal V Adelaide.

1/4 time V Sydney QF 1997. I think it was 8 or 9 goals to one and a friend rang me from his seat. "Mate when I die this is what Heaven will be like"

Rounds 2-7 1983. We'd been awful, truly awful, for a few years. 1983 looked like it might be a bit different. We'd got a bloke called Shane O' Sullivan as General Manager and he'd pulled off some pretty nice recruiting moves, including one stunt where he'd extorted $100, 000 dollars of off Collingwood by promising not to pick some dud they had their eye on who we had no plan to pick anyway-no draft tampering rules back then! The player we got instead was the mighty Andrew Purser, we'd also recruited players of the calibre of Brian Royal, Jim Sewell, Peter Foster, Mark Kellett, Steve Wallis, Chris Hansen and Ian Williams. We basically turned over the whole team and we had Ian Hampsshire as coach who most of the players loved.

Anyway we lost the first game against Geelong and next week we knocked off Carlton-they'd won the flag in 1982 and we'd finished last. The footy world was shocked. Next week we beat Melbourne-who were as crap as us and then we had Hawthorn at Princes Park. Hawthorn were a top team, we were playing them at their ground and we no longer had the element of suprise. It was our first game as 'Match of the Day' we'd had for years. Hawthorn threw everything at us in the last quarter got within a few points but we hit them hard with late goals and won almost pulling up. Three in a row. First time in I dont know how many years. But that's not what I wanted to tell you about.

I wanted to talk about R4 V Richmond at the MCG. Anzac day, a crowd of 70, 000 and the atmosphere was amazing. Richmond at this time were reigning grand finalists and had won the flag only 3 years before. From the early 1970s to the early '80s Richmond were every bit as annoying and irritating as Essendon are today. They had many more boofheaded supporters as they do today and they were a pretty good side. Anyway the boys ran out onto the ground, lined up for the anthem, wandered into their positions and led by ten goals at 1/4 time. Sitting there with the score board said 10.4 64 - 0.4 4 was a great moment.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

5. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Rounds 2-7 1983. We'd been awful, truly awful, for a few years. 1983 looked like it might be a bit different. We'd got a bloke called Shane O' Sullivan as General Manager and he'd pulled off some pretty nice recruiting moves, including one stunt where he'd extorted $100, 000 dollars of off Collingwood by promising not to pick some dud they had their eye on who we had no plan to pick anyway-no draft tampering rules back then! The player we got instead was the mighty Andrew Purser, we'd also recruited players of the calibre of Brian Royal, Jim Sewell, Peter Foster, Mark Kellett, Steve Wallis, Chris Hansen and Ian Williams. We basically turned over the whole team and we had Ian Hampsshire as coach who most of the players loved.

I wanted to talk about R4 V Richmond at the MCG. Anzac day, a crowd of 70, 000 and the atmosphere was amazing. Richmond at this time were reigning grand finalists and had won the flag only 3 years before. From the early 1970s to the early '80s Richmond were every bit as annoying and irritating as Essendon are today. They had many more boofheaded supporters as they do today and they were a pretty good side. Anyway the boys ran out onto the ground, lined up for the anthem, wandered into their positions and led by ten goals at 1/4 time. Sitting there with the score board said 10.4 64 - 0.4 4 was a great moment.
    That Hawthorn game. I think Niel Bristow kicked some vital goals. I was really annoyed on the Monday as Don Scott said we were luck & had no plan B.

That Richmond game where we led by 60 points, was the game we fell in by 2 points!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Apart from the fightback which, like TCD says, was just amazing. You cant overstate the devestation of being told your club is gone. I think for me that only losing a child would be worse. I've lost friends and family but I've got a fairly ambivilant attitude to death but that monday night and tuesday was hollow.

It's different to losing any match because theres always going to be a chance to attone next week but now there was no next week.

Then came the fightback which, like TCD says, was just amazing. The spirit, the guts and faith some people showed. Irene Chatfield risked her house-next time you see her at the footy hail the woman because without her we'd have no club. The joy when they saved the club is indescribable, the parade down Barkly st., the old players football game were just some of my favouite memories.

I was actually reading Too Tough Too Die last night. I only read the first 3 chapters, but we really do owe our clubs existence to Irene Chatfield and Peter Gordon, as well as some other very hard working people.

Peter Gordons speech was the most inspirational I have heard. I actually had tears running down my face as I read it (I know I'm soft).
    Last edited by aker39; 03-03-2008 at 11:23 AM.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post

That Richmond game where we led by 60 points, was the game we fell in by 2 points!
    Jimmy Edmond had 5 or 6 at quater time didnt he? I lived in Deniliquin NSW at the time and cant remember why but were in Melb so went to the game, prob my 2nd or 3rd game was 12 or 13 at the time. Moved to melbourne the next year and was there for the Gubby Allen incident as well. Still love the footage of Edmond giving it to Allen afterwards, sensational
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Bum View Post
    Moved to melbourne the next year and was there for the Gubby Allen incident as well. Still love the footage of Edmond giving it to Allen afterwards, sensational
    What did your Mum think of it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    I was actually reading Too Tough Too Die last night. I only read the first 3 chapters, but we really do owe our clubs existence to Irene Chatfield and Peter Gordon, as well as some other very hard working people.

Peter Gordons speech was the most inspirational I have heard. I actually had tears running down my face as I read it (I know I'm soft).
    Irene was a set up which Peter Gordon arranged. Peter was the one that saved the club at the time. Ironically, in 1996, the club was almost bust again and Peter put up his hand saying he could do no more. Unfortunately, Peter is a great lawyer and Champion of the working class man but didn't have the inroads into the corporate world as they have always seen him as the enemy, especially the big mining companies, Cigarette Companies etc. Thats why Smorgon had to come in, but we should never forget what Peter did at the time.

For me the rally that day, was one of the best days because I felt that we would survive and we had our club back.

The worst was listening to the news and hearing the announcement of the merger. I felt as if one of my close realtives had died. I can remember exactly where I was when I heard the news bulletin.

Post Thanks / Like

Worst Definately the preliminary final of 1997, we were listening to the game onthe radio and at some point in that last quarter - I punched the air and said we are going to be in a Grand Final. My other half looked worried when I said that and said "I hope you haven't put the moz on them" and sure enough I had

Best There are a few already mentioned, Essendon in 2000, the game against Adelaide at the G - my personal favourtie as Cooney played such a fantastic game and of course out final against the pies in 2006. But another game I remember well was against Geelong at Skill or Shell as it was know then. I can't remember the year, but it was early 2000 maybe 2001, we were getting flogged by something like 50 points (not sure exactly) and the Geelong supporters were really letting us know about it. Then Wallace put Grant and Crofty in defence and nothing got through after that and we came back to win. I thought I was walking on air coming out of that game. I always enjoy the games against Geelong (except for late ast year) the games in 2006 and 2005 were the best games I have ever watched - absolute nailbiters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogs_r_barking View Post
    Worst Definately the preliminary final of 1997, we were listening to the game onthe radio and at some point in that last quarter - I punched the air and said we are going to be in a Grand Final. My other half looked worried when I said that and said "I hope you haven't put the moz on them" and sure enough I had

I think we all put the moz on them. I was working overseas at the time and listening on the short wave. At 3/4 time, I said to my wife, we are 30 min from the grandfinal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    That Hawthorn game. I think Niel Bristow kicked some vital goals. I was really annoyed on the Monday as Don Scott said we were luck & had no plan B.

And Stevie Hoffman was named BOG in that game against the Hawks.