Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs well aware of Welsh terrier

Dogs well aware of Welsh terrier

ELIEF was the dominant emotion that prompted one Western Bulldogs player to seek out recruit Scott Welsh yesterday.

Western Bulldogs recruit Scott Welsh tries out his new surroundings at Whitten Oval yesterday. Picture: George Salpigtidis

Backman Dale Morris was delighted Welsh is now a teammate, rather than foe, after coming off second best in their recent duels.

The four-times Adelaide leading goalkicker, snared by the Dogs in this week's AFL pre-season draft, had a habit of wreaking havoc against the Dogs, booting 20 goals in the past six games.

"I don't know why that happened. He (Morris) said to me today he was pretty happy I came here. But I'm happy I'm here too because I don't have to play on him," Welsh said after his first training workout at the Whitten Oval.

Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade said Welsh's solid conversion rate, particularly against them, was a factor in deciding to offer the 29-year-old a two-year contract.

"He's the one player who has given Dale consistent trouble. I don't think there's anyone else in the league who has done that," Eade said.

"Against us, he has done very well."

The Bulldogs stepped up the chase for Welsh when the Crows refused to offer him a two-year contract.

Welsh was the Dogs' last chance to pick up a recognised marking forward to replace Chris Grant and Luke Darcy (both retired) after missing out on trading targets -- Melbourne's Russell Robertson, Hawthorn's Tim Boyle, Brisbane's Jared Brennan, Port's Damon White and Adelaide's Ken McGregor.

"I think Scott is a similar player to Russell. Probably not as big a high mark, but he kicked 49.19 last season. And he has good agility and speed to compliment what (Brad) Johnson and (Robert) Murphy can do," Eade said.

"He sort of lobbed in our lap. We heard there was some contract dispute and we spoke to his manager. With the addition of (Ben) Hudson and Welsh, it should give us a real impetus."

Welsh was eagerly awaiting a more strenuous hitout with his new teammates today.

"It has been pretty tough the last month, not knowing where you're going to go," he said.

"Training is pretty hard on your own. I don't think you push yourself as much as with a group, so I got a personal trainer to work with me for a couple of weeks."
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs well aware of Welsh terrier

What are thinking is a good result from Welsh next season?

If he could slot through 40 goals next year I think we would be pretty happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Yeah, about that, 2 goals per game, but more importantly, adding to the structure which he may not directly benefit from on occasions, but because of him in the make up, others may.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think 40 goals is enough. For it to be a worthwhile partnership we need 50 from him.
    There is a couple of more wins with just an extra 10 goals from him.

Post Thanks / Like

My father said he came off the ground yesterday with back problems. Not sure if its serious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    My father said he came off the ground yesterday with back problems. Not sure if its serious.
    Injuries have hit him already. I guess that would have been one of his first training session all summer but its not a good sign. He has a history of injuries aswell.

Ill be happy with 40+ goals and 20+ games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by borgy View Post
    Injuries have hit him already. I guess that would have been one of his first training session all summer but its not a good sign. He has a history of injuries aswell.

Ill be happy with 40+ goals and 20+ games.
    20 games sounds good but settling for 40 goals if he plays that many games is a somewhat modest return in my opinion. We have a habit of recruiting 40 goal a year key forwards from other clubs and it rarely takes us where we want to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    20 games sounds good but settling for 40 goals if he plays that many games is a somewhat modest return in my opinion. We have a habit of recruiting 40 goal a year key forwards from other clubs and it rarely takes us where we want to be.
    Paul Hudson and who else?
    Who said Welsh was going to be the answer to all our problems?
    I take 40 as who else is going to kick them apart from Brad Johnson?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Paul Hudson and who else?
    Who said Welsh was going to be the answer to all our problems?
    I take 40 as who else is going to kick them apart from Brad Johnson?
    At a guess I think he was referring to the likes Osborne, Cook, Minton-Connell and Rawlings. Even Akermanis was supposed to kick a few more than he did.

History would say that a 40 to 50 goal season from Welsh would be a solid return but it will be interesting to see if that translates into some extra wins for us. 40 goals from Welsh on top of the same 55 to 60 goals season from Johnson should assist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    At a guess I think he was referring to the likes Osborne, Cook, Minton-Connell and Rawlings. Even Akermanis was supposed to kick a few more than he did.

History would say that a 40 to 50 goal season from Welsh would be a solid return but it will be interesting to see if that translates into some extra wins for us. 40 goals from Welsh on top of the same 55 to 60 goals season from Johnson should assist.
    Well Hudson was very good for us. Osborne ok while he lasted
    Cook and Minton-Connell had 1 good season. Rawling the only total failure.
    Aker is ok and still not finished.

40 goal isn't a modest return as D24/7 mentioned for someone we got in the PSD. Thats 40 that someone else has to kick.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a habit of recruiting 40 goal a year key forwards from other clubs and it rarely takes us where we want to be.
    But is he a key forward? I wouldn't have thought so.

For me he is a role player who will fill be a key figure in our forwardline, but in no way the main man.

2 goals a game would a pass mark by my reckoning. We will rely on an even contribution from 6 or 8 players next year to kick a winning score, hopefully Welsh can do his part.

Post Thanks / Like

But is he a key forward? I wouldn't have thought so.

For me he is a role player who will fill be a key figure in our forwardline, but in no way the main man.

2 goals a game would a pass mark by my reckoning. We will rely on an even contribution from 6 or 8 players next year to kick a winning score, hopefully Welsh can do his part.
    To get the best out of role players normally have key position players around them. Johnson does a great job masquerading as a key forward and to some extent so does Muprhy but it's hard to see how Welsh changes or improves the dynamics of our forward line if he isn't seen as a key forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blogger View Post
    To get the best out of role players normally have key position players around them. Johnson does a great job masquerading as a key forward and to some extent so does Muprhy but it's hard to see how Welsh changes or improves the dynamics of our forward line if he isn't seen as a key forward.
    I just think he adds something a bit different. I read somewhere that Eade plans to allow Johnson to spend a bit more time on the bench in order to prolong his career. In the past we weren't able to do this as he was really are only consistent marking option up forward, hopefully Welsh can ease this pressure and allow us someone to kick to when Johnno is taking a breather.

Post Thanks / Like

If we can get Welsh on the park for 20 games that itself would be a good win for us. I'm aiming for him to play 15+ games at this stage, as I have concerns over his body.

Any word on the back injury Ernie? Let's hope it's not serious, an injury at this stage will put him behind.

tomawk Guest

I think we have more SA players than Port Adelaide, plus Fantasia. Should we ask Mike Rann for a grant?