Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Theory on how we might play this season...

I have been throwing around a few things in my head and trying to figure out what Rockets plans might be for this year. We fell down in so many areas last season and while we have added Hudson and Welsh to help fix two of those problems we still have quite a similar look to our line up. I am sure Rocket would know that we cant go on as we did last year with teams chopping up our game plan and turning it against us. With only really small changes to our line up it is hard to see how we might improve our game plan and structure even though it quite obviously needs some tinkering.

Based on things I have heard Eade say and my own observations of how we played last year I believe we will change a number of things but still stick to some of the key elements of our game plan. IMO Eade wants us to have a bit more flexibility in our game plan in order to have more than one way of beating sides.

With Murphy back to his best across half forward and the additions of Hudson and Welsh we should be more effective at our bread and butter run and gun type game plan. Those additions coupled with improvements from our younger brigade and a clear run with injuries would push us back towards the 8. We still have enough running power and pace to blow sides away when the situation requires it and with added strength and some impetus at the clearances (Hudson) we should be able to play our old style more effectively.

The difference this season could be that Eade may look at implementing a different brand of footy at times to counter sides that have become adept at picking us off. The fact that he wanted to start pre season in early October to work on "style of play stuff" says to me that in some way we are going to have a fair change to the way we play.

The signs were there in our draw to Stkilda that Eade was starting to look at different ways to chop up our style of play and make us less predictable. Against a side that had become masters at turning our own weapons against us we were able to chip and scrounge our way to a draw. I would not be suprised if we started to play a bit more tempo type footy at times and even backed ourselves inat stoppages. They say it every year but some of the talk of extra weight on our players seems more than just propaganda. Talk of 5kg and stuff suggests a bit of a change in direction IMO. I have never been a big fan of teams having big contrasts in the way they play the game from week to week or even quarter to quarter but if it stops teams from just sitting off us and waiting for us to cough up the ball then it could be worth a try. You dont really need a big forward to play something like what the swans, saints and pies have been doing at times. You just need the desire to make space for each other and the ability to lead into it.

If we do try something like this then I would urge patience as several of the teams that play this style every week took a long time to get it right. It is not something that is easy to do and in the heat of battle is the only place to perfect it.

I am not saying we will definetly go down this path but its worth discussing given some of the things that Eade has said and the lack of structual change to our line up. I still think we will play a fairly similar style to 2005/2006 most of the time particularly now that we have put a few lingering injuries behind us.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Theory on how we might play this season...

Eade should of made these changes (weight and game plan) after the West Coast semi final flogging 2006. Until we get at least one dominate key forward we will be just making up the numbers (4th-10th).

Post Thanks / Like

Good post Dogtown.

I have been wondering if our game plan is flawed or just our execution of it?

ie if the team was fit enough to run all day, we broke even in the clearances and the midfield and forward line actually applied defensive pressure would it work against all comers?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Eade will probalbly just have a plan B and a plan C. I don't like the idea of tempo football. It is dying out and if we use it we could be smashed. If we played defensive i would rather see us play like Adelaide than Sydney. We will probably see more minor than major adjustments

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Dogtown, a real thought starter. I know Eade thought he had the game plan and the players to make the finals in 2007 after a more than impressive 2006. The problem is that teams worked out and defused the advantage he had in 2006. The coast to coast goals were just shut down and and as a result we struggled to kick winning scores.
    It will be interesting to see if the Cats playing code gets broken in 2008 as they will be the ones that everyone else studies.

What do we need? I like the new motto mentioned in the paper today that indicates we will be a bigger team and play a more direct that possession style. Working out game day tactics is not my strong point but I do know that we need to be able to execute one of them very well and have a couple of modified styles that we can adapt to against certain team. Versatility with our game plans could be the key for us.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we'll use Welsh and Minson deep with Johnno, Murph and Mitch across half forward. Aker or Jarrod Harbrow could be used as the crumbers.

We may even play three ruckmen so Will can play as a full-time forward rather than combine the two roles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I think we'll use Welsh and Minson deep with Johnno, Murph and Mitch across half forward. Aker or Jarrod Harbrow could be used as the crumbers.

We may even play three ruckmen so Will can play as a full-time forward rather than combine the two roles.
    Do you just???

Post Thanks / Like

Plausable Sockeye, I like your thinking.

RedWine&Blue Guest

Sounds like a good set up. I really like your idea of playing Will as a full time forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Do you just???
    It suddenly came to me last night.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Minson can improve his marking to the point that he can be viable up forward but based on the last couple of seasons he has a lot of work to do.I hope JC has someone working with Minson on improving his marking unless the vision is to have him do what Groenewegen did and just get the ball to the ground and have the crumbers around him. That might be the best option. If he could hold his marks he is a reasonable kick for goal.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 15-12-2007 at 09:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What about Murph and injury concerns about playing across HF?
    Any chance for a tall CHF?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blogger View Post
    I hope Minson can improve his marking to the point that he can be viable up forward but based on the last couple of seasons he has a lot of work to do.
    Agreed. IIRC he isn't a great mark and hasn't shown much as a forward.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Minson is a ruckman and will be a great one. A big wild thumping brute who can actually palm the ball very well. Give him time.
    I don't see him as a forward except maybe as a pinch hitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    What about Murph and injury concerns about playing across HF?
    Any chance for a tall CHF?
    Maybe Grant could be used there if Murph is out for 1 or two weeks.