Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  50
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lin Jong Tours Collingwood's Facilities

I hope we pick the best 22 this week. That means Stevens over Jong, Jong is well behind our best 22. He offers a small point of difference, I wish him well but there would be several players ahead of him for selection and a few more will go past him soon. I would have delisted him at the end of the year so a trade would be a massive bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Being not contracted for next year, if Jong walks, do we get any compensation?
    He's not a free agent, so he would have to seek a trade if he was to move.

If we don't delist him, he would have to enter the draft if he wanted to move on.

3. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spot on Mick well said. There's no reason to tour the freaking facilities! I don't care if he's in bed with Collingwood but surely you can sort out most of the details privately? Touring the facilities! It's such an arrogant move from Collingwood but not unexpected. Stupid from Jong and his manager though because it will cause a rift somewhere and potentially make it difficult for him to play out the remainder of the year. He's giving up a lot by undertaking such a blatant activity including playing in another finals series.

Let's get what we can then, in a fit team he's best 22-25 anyway.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

5. Likes bornadog, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the fact most dogs supporters are a bit 'whatever' emphasises where he is in our list's pecking order. Good depth player and ambassador for multiculturalism. Stands up in big games. Average 14 possessions a game. Not outstanding.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 06-07-2016 at 03:14 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

The Malthouse comments genuinely make me lol.

Footy has changed since Malthouse was a good AFL coach, problem is he hasn't. Funny the media go to him and even funnier, fans listen to a guy who is passed it as a coach (fine listen to his footy opinions, but not in terms of modern coaching).

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt have a problem with him looking at options. He has struggled to get a regular spot, and if there is a Club that might be able to offer that, that's fine. But I do have a problem with him visiting them mid season. I know it happens in other codes, but I don't like it at all.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    The Malthouse comments genuinely make me lol.

Footy has changed since Malthouse was a good AFL coach, problem is he hasn't. Funny the media go to him and even funnier, fans listen to a guy who is passed it as a coach (fine listen to his footy opinions, but not in terms of modern coaching).
    Sure, but this one facet of our game has not openly changed since Malthouse's time. It happens now like it happened when he was a player / coach but until a mid-season draft scenario comes into play players openly talking to other clubs midway through a season while they are contracted and paid by the club is taboo, always has been. Imagine if it was a top 10 player the board would be up in arms! Imagine if it was a Collingwood top 10 player Eddie would be on the war path. I mean these guys have a massive window at the end of the year to firm up their decisions on the back of a solid due diligence that could be undertaken privately during the year.

I think of it as I think of any business and as a consultant if my boss got wind of me being in bed with a direct competitor my ass would be grass. Same goes.

I think it makes it hard for Jong to play now and I worry about how fans will react to him on the field. I think it was a foolish decision. It's why Callan Ward kept the secret all season, it's a potentially horrible situation.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

What could we realistically expect for Jong? Pick in the 30s if we're lucky? Do Collingwood have anything to offer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    What could we realistically expect for Jong? Pick in the 30s if we're lucky? Do Collingwood have anything to offer?
    Yeah late 2nd early 3rd would be about fair value IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    They're most likely on the hunt for picks to gather points for Daicos & Brown. How about Jong and a high enough draft pick (points wise) for Brodie Grundy? Minson if they want him as a free agent. Would he be a type of ruck we'd be looking at? Because they used pick 5 & 23 already on Aish & Treloar they might need to give something of quality up to do dverything they want to do.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think their 2nd pick would be 26 if we had the draft tomorrow. If Jong wants to go, I would be very happy with pick 26.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    They're most likely on the hunt for picks to gather points for Daicos & Brown. How about Jong and a high enough draft pick (points wise) for Brodie Grundy? Minson if they want him as a free agent. Would he be a type of ruck we'd be looking at? Because they used pick 5 & 23 already on Aish & Treloar they might need to give something of quality up to do dverything they want to do.
    Why would they trade Grundy? Part of why Witts is looking at leaving/they are willing to trade him is that they see Grundy as their clear #1. As much as I would love it to be the case, the other clubs aren't in the business to help out the Bulldogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Why would they trade Grundy? Part of why Witts is looking at leaving/they are willing to trade him is that they see Grundy as their clear #1. As much as I would love it to be the case, the other clubs aren't in the business to help out the Bulldogs.
    If they get draft points to secure both father/sons and a player they want (Jong) and can get Minson as a spare for nothing it's something. They've given up picks 5 & 23 already, I think they'll get 28 for Freeman this year, but they need loads more points. So someone may need to go for them to get a good draft pick.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Funny how the younger generation don't worry if Jong is openly touring facilities and the older generation see an issue. Mick Malthouse maybe passed it as a coach, but he managed thousands of young men and knows what he is talking about. Similarly Robert Walls came out with the same opinion today.

My issue is where does it stop? If ten players were out of contract and they were all seen touring other facilities, when it is only 8 weeks to finals, what would woofers think then?

I know that any company that I worked at in the past, if the boss knew I was leaving to a competitor, then the corporate policy was see you later.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Sure, but this one facet of our game has not openly changed since Malthouse's time. It happens now like it happened when he was a player / coach but until a mid-season draft scenario comes into play players openly talking to other clubs midway through a season while they are contracted and paid by the club is taboo, always has been. Imagine if it was a top 10 player the board would be up in arms! Imagine if it was a Collingwood top 10 player Eddie would be on the war path. I mean these guys have a massive window at the end of the year to firm up their decisions on the back of a solid due diligence that could be undertaken privately during the year.

I think of it as I think of any business and as a consultant if my boss got wind of me being in bed with a direct competitor my ass would be grass. Same goes.

I think it makes it hard for Jong to play now and I worry about how fans will react to him on the field. I think it was a foolish decision. It's why Callan Ward kept the secret all season, it's a potentially horrible situation.
    If he was a top 10 player I'm sure he would be already re-signed (like we have done with all top 10 players).. But as pointed out he fits somehere in the 22-25 category and at a strong & young team like ours he has probably been presented with a less than satisfactory (in his & mangers eyes) contract and is looking to explore his options.

My understanding was that Ward didn't decide until late in the piece with our bungled efforts to re-sign him not helping the situation.