Likes Likes:  50
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lin Jong Tours Collingwood's Facilities

I'd be less happier at losing Stevens as well as Jong

2. Likes Raw Toast, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If players go you would think it's contract length or money as I would think that this team is a strong chance to play in the big dance within the next few years and the likes of Collingwood are not pressing at this point.

Maybe the days of playing and winning a grand final are not such an incentive as it was in the past.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Barrett is basically on the war path and any small issue will be blown out of all proportions.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Barrett is basically on the war path and any small issue will be blown out of all proportions.
    I would read that as EVERY SMALL ISSUE.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact that other clubs are chasing our players is a good thing. We have to do some smart trading over the next twelve months to fine tune our list with the types of players we need. Anyone who sits outside our best 22 should be on the table.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, actually he was pretty complimentary of our win V Swans. Probably he doesn't want to upset the bigger clubs and sees us as easy pickings I guess. Like Hutchy, busy going through people's bins to get what he can.
    Seagull Barrett, loves easy pickings.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Putting aside to debate about whether he should have toured the Pies facilities or not - I worry about how he will perform if he is picked this week.

We have seen a couple of times when he's been reported during a match he then goes missing. It seems to play on his mind and I imagine all this publicity could have a negative effect on him.

Send him back to the VFL as he isn't in the best 22 this week. I'm sure he will get another opportunity at senior level soon once this dies down a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Stevens has probably got some serious currency in the market. Players come and go, without touring opposition clubs just before clutch games mid season. If we turned Jong into say Vardy (who we are reported looking into) and Stevens (with some extra cream) into a Prestia (who we are reported looking into) or like a Steve Hill, that's probably not the worst outcome in the world with Clay Smith back and Dunkley & Webb earmarked for inside grunt work that Jong & Stevens provide and we get the ruck/forward and midfield class user we allegedly want.
    I love Clay, but if you want to factor him into long term planning then you better have a hell of a back up plan
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

11. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    If players go you would think it's contract length or money as I would think that this team is a strong chance to play in the big dance within the next few years and the likes of Collingwood are not pressing at this point.

Maybe the days of playing and winning a grand final are not such an incentive as it was in the past.
    It is money for me. The pie is only so big. Unfortunately Stevens and Jong might not be the only players wanting more.Bound to happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    It is money for me. The pie is only so big. Unfortunately Stevens and Jong might not be the only players wanting more.Bound to happen.
    I could imagine players seeking tenure as a priority these coming three years given our prospects of going deep into finals being pretty good.

$50k a year pre tax when you're already in the highest bracket isn't likely to make a huge difference.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Really this is not on:

* Question: "Did you speak to Lin Jong when he was here the other night?"
    Buckley: "Yeah, I did"

* Buckley says he understands if Luke Beveridge would be angry about Lin Jong approach
    I can understand if our club is pissed off with Jong and Collingwood.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really this is not on:

I can understand if our club is pissed off with Jong and Collingwood.
    You could imagine Eddie and Collingwood if Bevo had been speaking to one of their players on own turf. We would never hear the end of it.

Post Thanks / Like

It happens all the time .. How do we know Bevo didn't say go explore your options?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    It happens all the time .. How do we know Bevo didn't say go explore your options?
    Several coaches (Roos, Hardwick) say they would never entertain this.

Anyway, if you think it happens all the time, then doesn't make it right.

Post Thanks / Like

I highly doubt Stevens would strongly consider moving to a third club at the age of 25 - only 60-odd games into his career.

Confident he and the club will work out a deal. Koby has played plenty of senior footy with us and appears to be popular amongst the playing group. Not concerned about this one.