Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  50
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lin Jong Tours Collingwood's Facilities

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Bomber Thompson said at Geelong most players took payments under what they were worth as they wanted to stay together and win premierships
    Did this include fringe players too?

Pretty easy for one of their top 12-15 players to get $50k under value whilst playing in a gun team. Different story if you are getting $100k less than what's available on the open market.. and playing VFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Pretty easy for one of their top 12-15 players to get $50k under value whilst playing in a gun team. Different story if you are getting $100k less than what's available on the open market.. and playing VFL.
    Correct.

That's why years of consistent drafting is important. Guys like Jong are replaced easily enough.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Lin Jong needs to get another manager. No decent manager would organise a tour of another Melbourne team facilities for a Melbourne based player.

Surely the commonsense approach would be for his manager to invite Jong and Buckley to his office and give both of them the chance to talk about 2017 and beyond. Touring another facility is just stupid.

I'm half tempted to post something on Twitter advising Jong not worry about finding another club, his first priority is to find a decent manager.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure. He said it on AFL360 Wed nite. Best 22 I presumed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Not sure. He said it on AFL360 Wed nite. Best 22 I presumed
    It's an easy decision for best 22 players isn't it.

But players like Callan, Playfair, Gardiner, Prismall, D.Johnson, Djerrkura & Mumford all departed through their goldern era for more opportunity & no doubt more $$. All were fringe players who could have stayed and battled for the last few spots in the team, but money talks and when the best 15 are getting paid handsomely there isn't much left for the rest.

7. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jong, Stevens and our second round selection for Jack Watts and Melbourne's third round?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Jong, Stevens and our second round selection for Jack Watts and Melbourne's third round?
    Watts is signing a new deal, I think.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

if we could place Jong and Stevens's effort into Watts I'd do it .

Post Thanks / Like

Our list needs outside polish. Watts is excellent in that area and his attitude is improving.

Post Thanks / Like

It's an easy decision for best 22 players isn't it.

But players like Callan, Playfair, Gardiner, Prismall, D.Johnson, Djerrkura & Mumford all departed through their goldern era for more opportunity & no doubt more $$. All were fringe players who could have stayed and battled for the last few spots in the team, but money talks and when the best 15 are getting paid handsomely there isn't much left for the rest.
    I think Mumford's the exception there. Pretty sure he became their no1 ruck before he left but they couldn't pay him what he wanted.

The rest were certainly fringe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I think Mumford's the exception there. Pretty sure he became their no1 ruck before he left but they couldn't pay him what he wanted.

The rest were certainly fringe.
    Ottens was still the main man until the end of 2011.. Mumford left at the end of 2009.

Mumford played pretty much all of 2009, but was dropped just before the finals when Ottens returned to the team from a long term injury.

As explained there was a big difference in what Geel & Syd were willing to pay.

Post Thanks / Like

We should all get behind Jong this week , he is playing so obviously the club has no problem with it and cheering him on Will make him feel the love rather than berating him for something he might not even do ..
    I don't want us to lower to the Collingwood supporters and what they did with Cloke when rumours were abound and didn't end up being true.
    Let's make it hard for him to leave emotionally at least .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Shave Jack Watt's head, make him live in Sunshine, with Barry Hall as his housemate and early morning training with Matt Boyd.
    Then I would be prepared to let him into our club.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

16. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watts is at his peak as a trading commodity surely? He's having the one half decent year of his career-the one you look back at and say "I forgot Jack Watts kicked 45 goals in 2016"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

One silver lining of Lin touring the pies facility, it makes the opening round blockbuster against the Pies idea a more tantalising prospect.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"