Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  50
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lin Jong Tours Collingwood's Facilities

Peter Gordon weighs in:

THE Western Bulldogs have labelled Collingwood’s recruiting tactics “not appropriate” as tensions simmer over Lin Jong’s stealth tour of the Magpies’ facilities.

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley says he spoke with Western Bulldog Lin Jong during the midfielder’s visit last week – and would do it again.

Jong, 23, retained his spot for the Dogs’ clash against Richmond on Saturday night after receiving widespread support from teammates and coaching staff.

Dogs’ president Peter Gordon today said the practice of inviting rival players on to the club’s premises in-season to inspect their training base was overstepping the mark.

“No, I wouldn’t consider that appropriate,” Gordon told Jon Faine on ABC 774.

“I don’t think that most clubs would be inviting current opposition players into their own facilities during the course of the season.”

Gordon said it was accepted that players and their managers were talking to rival clubs, but setting foot inside a rival club’s facilities was a step too far.

The president suggested that Jong, 23, and his manager, Nick Gieschen, may regret the move.

But the Dogs remain confident the 188cm midfielder will stay at the club beyond this season.

“Is it unusual for the player to be given a tour of the (Pies’) facilities? I think it is slightly more unusual (than waiting until after the season),” Gordon sad.

“I’m sure that his management would give him advice about that and they both may regret that they chose to do it in that way.

“But we are not going to stop our players from canvassing what are the best options.

“We want them to stay at the Bulldogs because they think it is the best deal and the best place for them to achieve success both in terms of their financial careers and success on the field.

“I hope Lin gets to that position and I’m fully confident that he will.”

Jong has played 30 games in his five seasons at the kennel and has also attracted interest from Gold Coast.

Gordon said the Dogs rated Jong highly.

“I really like Lin ... I hope very much he finishes his career at the Bulldogs,” he said.

“I think his full potential is unrealised and I can understand (why) Collingwood and a number of clubs are interested in him.

“You would be naive, and I’m not, to think that discussions between clubs and players from other cubs don’t go on at this time of year.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...538243418653d9

Post Thanks / Like

Heard that this morning on Peter's 9.30 Friday timeslot.

The reason this keeps coming up is not because it's just Jong, but it is a principal thing that any player could do. I think it has divided people, some think there is nothing wrong with it and others are appalled.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Tom Boyd inspect our facilities mid contract?
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Didn't Tom Boyd inspect our facilities mid contract?
    I don't believe so, but it is rumoured he met at Peters house.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't believe so, but it is rumoured he met at Peters house.
    Hmmm...people in glass houses....

Post Thanks / Like

Not really. I think the most commonly held view (as Peter Gordon has said above) is that it's accepted that players and their managers will talk to other clubs during the year but touring another club's facilities is not on.

We met Tom and Liam Pickering quietly and nobody knew at the time, no issue. Had he been seen walking around Whitten Oval that would have been a problem.

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Not really. I think the most commonly held view (as Peter Gordon has said above) is that it's accepted that players and their managers will talk to other clubs during the year but touring another club's facilities is not on.

We met Tom and Liam Pickering quietly and nobody knew at the time, no issue. Had he been seen walking around Whitten Oval that would have been a problem.
    Exactly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

So the practice is acceptable, it's just not acceptable to get caught. Which means if asked, it is ok to lie, unless of course you were seen. Then it is unacceptable. Of course the most abhorrent option is to be upfront, like Henderson, because then you are a pariah and won't get picked again.

Not directed at you Axe Man, just a comment on the morality of the whole thing. but I guess the game is all about passion and not about logic. Collingwood need to spend a few of their megabucks and make a 3D virtual walkthrough of their elite training centre. Could save them a lot of trouble.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

10. Likes whythelongface liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Watts is at his peak as a trading commodity surely? He's having the one half decent year of his career

Dale Thomas says hello

12. Likes Twodogs, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    So the practice is acceptable, it's just not acceptable to get caught. Which means if asked, it is ok to lie, unless of course you were seen. Then it is unacceptable. Of course the most abhorrent option is to be upfront, like Henderson, because then you are a pariah and won't get picked again.

Not directed at you Axe Man, just a comment on the morality of the whole thing. but I guess the game is all about passion and not about logic. Collingwood need to spend a few of their megabucks and make a 3D virtual walkthrough of their elite training centre. Could save them a lot of trouble.
    Have you ever been to a job interview while still employed?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you. But more to the point, I don't care.

Players have to look after their best interests after all. It's uncomfortable because it's unusual, but I think it'll just be more common from hereon out.

I've never had cause to question Jong's effort in the past, and I'm confident that he'll play the same way for as long as he's in our colours. And in there's too, I guess if that is what eventuates.

15. Likes always right liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Have you ever been to a job interview while still employed?
    Only under the overall umbrella of the one parent company. However, I directly manage a significant number of people and regularly have staff coming and going.

I appreciate that my view may be a minority view, I just find the whole thing bemusing. It all seems on a par with farting. Everyone does it. It's ok in private. Don't do it publicly. Deny it if you can. Never purposely do it in the boss's office.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

17. Thanks Smads57 thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked Roughys thoughts on it and I think it's great the players are right behind him.. Maybe it's that little thing that makes him stay.
    Don't push him away, pull him closer .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I think people are splitting hairs. Boyd visited the president's home.

I don't care as long as Jong gives 100% effort. Any sign that he isn't and he gets dropped.

Post Thanks / Like

My Jong, my Jong, don't lie to me
    Tell me where did you tour last night?
    In the pies, in the pies
    Where the sun don't ever shine
    I would shiver the whole night through

My Jong, my Jong, where will you go?
    I'm going where the cold wind blows (Whitten Oval)

In the pies, in the pies
    Where the sun don't ever shine
    I would shiver the whole night through

Their coach, was a hard working man
    Just about 10 miles from here
    His figjam head was found in a nice new gym
    But his coaching hype has never been found

My Jong, my Jong, don't lie to me
    Tell me where did you tour last night?
    In the pies, in the pies
    Where the sun won't ever shine
    You will shiver the whole night through
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023