Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers And Anchors - Round 17 2016 vs Gold Coast Suns

This is the round 17 2016 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Gold Coast Suns is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers And Anchors - Round 17 2016 vs Gold Coast Suns

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

B:
    Macrae putting together a nice group of games here.
    Liked Toyd in the team. Provided a target and clunked a couple.
    Clay Smith...beast. Should have kicked five.

A:
    Stringer's injury.
    The second half.....frustrating.
    Listening to Brereton and Lynch.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

B

Clay Smith - Great game, could've been a huge game.
    Tom Boyd - Ruck, forward, marks, tackles & 9 score involvements. Welcome back.
    3rd on the ladder - Beat St Kilda & Geelong beats Adelaide at Geelong, then we are second next week.

A

Should've been a 100 point win - It was a NEAFL side.
    Clay's 3 posters - Cmon.
    Jarrad Grant ranked worst on ground - You're meant to put in against your old team.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Clay Smith's strength to get rid of two GC defenders, keep the ball in and eventually a goal was created.
    2. Pickens use of pace and kick a graet goal in the first.
    3. Tom Boyd's goal, but best of all players getting around him after he kicked the goal.

Anchors

1. 17 behinds - 4 to Clay, 4 to Redpath, Picken and Bont 2 each.
    2. Stringers injury - fingers crossed
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    3. Tom Boyd's goal, but best of all players getting around him after he kicked the goal.
    Yep, his teammates were hating on him with head rubs and high fives.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. Clay. Work rate. Strength. Goal kicking smarts (just move those damn posts). And such a great story.
    2. Daniel - those clean hands and neat disposals.
    3. hard work from Wallis & Stevens.

Anchors
    1. Fox footy camera angles. Looked as though Dermie was filming on his iPhone at times
    2. fox commentary. Moronic. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse than Ricciuto and Dwayne...
    3. Not being able to put sides away has been our bugbear for ever and a day. This year it could really cost us
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Tom Boyd - So good seeing him back tonight. Did a few good things and kicked a good goal. He needs to keep getting more games at senior level.

2. Wallis - hard worker tonight and kicked quite a few goals being very effective in the forward line.

3. Getting over 100 points as that has been a struggle for us this year. Picken I thought was very good tonight. Smith very solid last night.

Anchors

1. Stringer injury - I hope it is nothing serious

2. Not putting the Suns away in the 2nd half to boost our % more

3. Our skills at times let us down
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Clay Smith, strength, persistence and talent, welcome back.
    Tom Boyd, must stay in for the rest of the season.
    the 4 points

Anchors
    Inaccurate goal kicking (again) cost valuable percentage.
    We were complacent and took the foot off the pedal, against Hawthorn, Sydney or Adelaide we would have been destroyed with turnovers.
    We lack a tall big bodied defender, it may cost us.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers - Keeping Lynch and two metre Peter Quiet. Thought our defensive structure and work rate was great.
    - midfield monstered them ( as we should have )
    - Mitch Wallis hitting the scoreboard
    Anchors - sloppy final pass and butchered chances in the second half
    - inaccuracy, again hurt us percentage wise
    - Caleb Daniels ( FFS) Lynch is awful and Dermie talks to much . Adam Paplia ( spelling ) was ok

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Bankers
    Clay Smith, strength, persistence and talent, welcome back.
    Tom Boyd, must stay in for the rest of the season.
    the 4 points

Anchors
    Inaccurate goal kicking (again) cost valuable percentage.
    We were complacent and took the foot off the pedal, against Hawthorn, Sydney or Adelaide we would have been destroyed with turnovers.
    We lack a tall big bodied defender, it may cost us.
    I don't think we'd play circle work like we did tonight against Hawks and the Crows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    You mean the teams we've already beaten (Sydney & Adelaide) or lost to in the last minute (Hawks)?

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    Clay Smith, what an addition to a team that was already looking likely. Powerhouse.
    Tom Boyd's 3rd qtr, I think he took 3 contested marks and kicked his goal in the third when things ground to a halt for everyone else.
    Wallis, he best game for a few weeks. Had dipped in form a little of late.

Anchors:
    Another injury concern. FFS!
    Goal kicking, our worst effort in a while after a few weeks where I felt we'd put those yips to bed.
    JJ - struggled.

Post Thanks / Like

B: Stevens & Jong did indeed step up to cover for Libba and Dahl; Biggs' continued good form.

Anchors: ABC Radio Commentators: we got Jessie Stringer, Daniels, numerous back handed compliments of the Battling Bulldogs, Bargin Basement Bulldogs variety, no mention of Stringer's injury until the 4th quarter, I could go on but will leave it there.

Edit: actually I will go on. Excessive references to Tom Boyd's contract. For example, "the most expensive player in the competition" and "the highest paid player in the competition" Quote/Unquote. The assertion is probably not true and was made in unflattering contexts.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    B: Stevens & Jong did indeed step up to cover for Libba and Dahl; Biggs' continued good form.

Anchors: ABC Radio Commentators: we got Jessie Stringer, Daniels, numerous back handed compliments of the Battling Bulldogs, Bargin Basement Bulldogs variety, no mention of Stringer's injury until the 4th quarter, I could go on but will leave it there.

Edit: actually I will go on. Excessive references to Tom Boyd's contract. For example, "the most expensive player in the competition" and "the highest paid player in the competition" Quote/Unquote. The assertion is probably not true and was made in unflattering contexts.
    Completely untrue. There was a Billy Picken, followed by 'why do I always call him Billy'