Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  32
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 18 2016 vs St. Kilda

I wouldn't be resting players against Stkilda with the top 4 at stake their best is very good. With Essendon and the bye to come it's full steam ahead for mine

2. Likes bulldogtragic, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely wouldn't be resting players vs Saints just for the point of resting them. Treat it like any other game, if they are too sore and another player would be more valuable to the team, sure.

On Dickson. He sure is struggling. Thing is with Stringer missing, it would mean two forwards going out. Libba is set to come back meaning reduced midfield minutes for Jong/Dunkley meaning more time for them forward. I would give Dickson one more game. Hopefully we will have Stringer and Dahl back next week meaning we can drop Dickson and still have team balance.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we have to keep Dickson in. His kicking is off but had he kicked straight he would have impacted the score board and let's not forget, it was his good work trapping an errant pass that set up one of Koby's goals (I think).

We're so light on for forward craft we'd be nuts to drop Dickson if Stringer misses.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    His kicking is off but had he kicked straight he would have impacted the score board and let's not forget, it was his good work trapping an errant pass that set up one of Koby's goals (I think).
    Yep. It was a good pass but the wind got hold of it. Dickson sprinted past two other players who had given up on it and trapped the ball a metre inside the line after meeting it at full speed. Dunkley also did well in that play attacking the tackler to be able to get his hands free and dish off

Dickson is quite short for a marking forward at 182cm, he usually plays on someone taller so has to rely on his speed to get separation and then good delivery to get his marks
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Resting players in matches against sides well down the ladder is a dangerous practice. It also undermines the mantra that we must constantly strive to be our best. I would prefer we don't engage in it.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Resting players in matches against sides well down the ladder is a dangerous practice. It also undermines the mantra that we must constantly strive to be our best. I would prefer we don't engage in it.
    I think you can be logical in resting players. However, we had a few out with injury as it is and the Saints at Etihad is too dangerous to risk it. The comp is too even for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I think you can be logical in resting players. However, we had a few out with injury as it is and the Saints at Etihad is too dangerous to risk it. The comp is too even for it.
    If it is a genuine case of "general soreness," I'm fine with that. It is the out and out preservation of players for big matches that worries me. I don't think the players would like it either.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be considering Bailey Dale if Stringer misses this week. It's not like for like but he's probably all that's left at VFL level that has the ability to hit the scoreboard and sneak a couple of goals. It means Jong misses for Libba.

Dickson wasn't great but had 17 disposals and had 1.2. Last year that's 3 goals to go with 17 disposals and a pretty solid game. I think he gets another week on the same principle that we need to be more dangerous up front without Stringer.

Out: Stringer, Jong
    In: Dale, Libba

We've got Essendon and Freo in Rounds 22 and 23, we can rest then. This game is very much live.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    If it is a genuine case of "general soreness," I'm fine with that. It is the out and out preservation of players for big matches that worries me. I don't think the players would like it either.
    Yeah, I don't think it will be an issue this season. The top 8 is so close no team can afford to drop a game. If we drop the small games, there won't be real big games for us to play in. There is also a week off before the finals. If we are going to genuinely 'rest' a couple of players, it will be against Essendon to freshen up for the Freo trip. I would only consider that if we most of the injured guys back.

11. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if we will toy with the idea of bringing in Zaine Cordy. Liked his game in the VFL today, especially when it got tight. I think he will suit our team defence with his ability to get a spoil running against the flight of the ball.

Fletcher Roberts is the opposite, more old school. I think he gets a bit lost in our bubble/team defence web, what David King is calling it this week. He does offer a big body though against the power forwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Out Stringer, in Libba.
    Clay & Wallis look good forward, we can cover him with rotations
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

No resting players . They've got two byes
    Play our best side

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I wonder if we will toy with the idea of bringing in Zaine Cordy. Liked his game in the VFL today, especially when it got tight. I think he will suit our team defence with his ability to get a spoil running against the flight of the ball.

Fletcher Roberts is the opposite, more old school. I think he gets a bit lost in our bubble/team defence web, what David King is calling it this week. He does offer a big body though against the power forwards.
    Cordy did look good today and would provide added height to our defence. I wouldn't mind seeing Suckling released to go forward as a replacement for Stringer. Stringer for most of the season has been disappointing and could do with missing a couple of weeks in an attempt to freshen him up for the finals.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the camp (possibly alone) thinking that the Saints beat the cats a couple of weeks back and always match up well against us. Best 22 for sure.

In: Libba
    Out: Stringer

We need more outside run though...

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I'm in the camp (possibly alone) thinking that the Saints beat the cats a couple of weeks back and always match up well against us. Best 22 for sure.

In: Libba
    Out: Stringer

We need more outside run though...
    Agree on the saints, they looked alright for periods today too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023