Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  28
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Redpath

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Redpath

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He is going to be a player who needs to take his chances in order to be effective, especially against better teams.

With a limited skill set he needs to be converting at 65%+.
    currently running at 68% for career and 66% for this year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He is going to be a player who needs to take his chances in order to be effective, especially against better teams.

With a career total of 40.19 he's doing that. Sustaining that conversion record over longer periods will be the challenge, particularly if he plays higher up the ground and is having more shots from more difficult spots on the ground.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I actually rate Jacks ruckwork when he's been asked to compete. I would love to see him and Boyd both share the duties in the 2nd ruck role.

Especially this week with Bruce St Kilda's second option and Roberton, Gilbert & Dempster the only defenders with some height, I would prefer Redpath to do most of the relief rucking against Bruce, allowing Boyd (who monsters the above mentioned defenders) to stay in the forward 50 and do his thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Jack's doing fine. Off night with the boots, but more than held his own. Good foil for Boyd/Stringer. Like the balance with him in the team

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed.

I think his spot is probably safe for the remainder of the year - even with Boyd - given no Crameri and our inability to score heavily. He's done well and I like him as a player, the thing that frustrates me is he drops off in second halves repeatedly and his usually good kicking can suffer because of this. How much more can he improve his fitness? Moreover, we need it rectified for finals this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Does suspicious things under the covers, and has B.O. according to Luke Dahlhaus.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Agreed.

I think his spot is probably safe for the remainder of the year - even with Boyd - given no Crameri and our inability to score heavily. He's done well and I like him as a player, the thing that frustrates me is he drops off in second halves repeatedly and his usually good kicking can suffer because of this. How much more can he improve his fitness? Moreover, we need it rectified for finals this year.
    I think he works extremely hard around the ground. Runs a hell of a lot for a big man forward, which is one of the mandates I think Bevo has put to him if he wants to be in the side. Perhaps a criticism of him in years past.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Does suspicious things under the covers,
    Dutch Ovens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I think he works extremely hard around the ground. Runs a hell of a lot for a big man forward, which is one of the mandates I think Bevo has put to him if he wants to be in the side. Perhaps a criticism of him in years past.
    He is a hard worker, and I think in some instances we could use him more effectively than we do.

We have a tendency to over possess the footy through the middle and half back and this can hurt our forwards.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

We've seen our share of dud forwards over the years and he's definitely not in the 'talls of shame' file.
    He's still only played 24 games. It's easy to forget that. His goal kicking against Port was glorious to behold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    We've seen our share of dud forwards over the years and he's definitely not in the 'talls of shame' file.
    He's still only played 24 games. It's easy to forget that. His goal kicking against Port was glorious to behold.
    Normally you'd think any player who's shown the level Redpath has in his first 24 games would have a promising trajectory, though there's ongoing question marks over his potential for improvement.

Here's an interesting comparison with Hawkins in 2011 and 2012, the years Hawkins was considered to be transitioning from an almost player to a solid performing KPF.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/f...2=P&fopt2=2011

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/f...2=P&fopt2=2012

I'd argue that Redpath's age hides the fact he started from a considerable way back (which we all know, of course), and I think the comparison with a 23-24 year old Hawkins is reasonably fair in light of that. What I take from this is that we should be expecting Redpath to take the next step - assuming he is going to - within the next 12 months.

Post Thanks / Like

... unless he does his knee or something

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck in recovery to Jack .
    I thought he was older, so he's got time on his side .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    ... unless he does his knee or something
    I really fingered him with that post didn't I?