Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Redpath

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Redpath

Welcome back Jack!

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good return to senior footy. Faded out as a threat up front but worked hard to stay involved up the field. Marked it well. Struggled when the ball spills lose.

Post Thanks / Like

For all our problems forward, Jack straightened us up.. in his first game back from a terrible injury no less.
    Well done. Lots of heart.

5. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack should be lauded for his successful return.

Well done Jack, great effort to get through the game and impact it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Once he settles in his aggressive forward play will become more prevalent too. His hit on Darling was great.

Post Thanks / Like

The "cheapies" out the back are actually encouraging signs that he is full of running. You need to be athletic these days and not just a witches hat for defenders to rebound off
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

The bump is well and truly alive. Was a superb hit.

Rapt to see him have a good game. Love Big Red.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The bump is well and truly alive. Was a superb hit.

Rapt to see him have a good game. Love Big Red.
    Love seeing all the players get around him after his first goal back.

I was really happy to see him storming back into the seniors.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo's plan catches returning Dog by surprise

As LUKE Beveridge dueled with reporters over team selection ahead of the round eight clash with West Coast, Jack Redpath was unaware he was part of a covert operation.

Melbourne Airport was the scene, and Redpath was waiting to board a plane to Perth for his first AFL game in nine months after recovering from a third knee reconstruction.

Beveridge, determined not to let the Eagles get an early read on his side's line-up, refused to reveal that the hulking forward would be making a surprise return.

"I didn't know at all," Redpath told AFL.com.au.

"I live in Footscray, and Jason Johannisen and I like to get to the airport early and have a coffee.
    "'JJ' picked me up at 8am, so there was nothing (secretive) going on that I knew about.

"He's a very smart man 'Bevo', and he knows what he's doing, so I just got told I was playing (on the Tuesday) and didn't worry about too much else."

Redpath was also "surprised" his diligent rehabilitation would be rewarded with a start against the Eagles, with the 26-year-old playing just one VFL game after a very cautious recovery program.

But his shock inclusion reaped immediate dividends, with the popular Bulldog mobbed by teammates after kicking the first goal of the game.

In the end his three-goal performance, albeit in a losing cause, vindicated the belief he could make it back from another arduous period on the sidelines.

"As forward, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to go into the game and kick a few goals," Redpath said.

"At times you do struggle when you've just had surgery and been on crutches for two weeks, and you begin to think 'am I able to do this again?'

"But I trained my arse off for nine months and right now I'm in a pretty good position to play (in the seniors for the) rest of the year."

Much of his time in the rehab group was spent with Mitch Wallis, as the midfielder suffered a badly broken leg on the same night last July that Redpath's knee gave way.

The pair inspirede each other on a regular basis to the point where Wallis returned to the VFL just one week before Redpath did.

"I feel bad for saying this, but I felt a little bit lucky that I did my knee the same night Mitch got injured, because it took the attention away from me, which is always good," Redpath said.

"What happened to Mitch was horrific, but the way he's come back has been amazing."
    The next challenge for Redpath is to retain his place in a forward line that has plenty of competition for spots.

Fellow key forward and big-name recruit Travis Cloke could be passed fit for Friday night's clash with Geelong after missing several weeks with broken ribs, while premiership big men Tom Boyd and Jordan Roughead can also play in attack in conjunction with their customary ruck roles.

"It's always good when you've got a bit of competition, because each week you have to be on and you can't afford to have a bad game," Redpath said.

"I've always played well when someone is pushing for my spot, and if I'm pushing for someone else's spot, I'm going to give it everything I've got.

"I'd love to play with Trav, because I've never played with another big forward.
    "He might be able to take the best defender, and I can kick a few more goals."

Despite being in his sixth season at Whitten Oval, the former rookie has never signed a contract longer than 12 months, but he feels that could be about to change.

Because as he prepares to return to the ground he debuted at back in 2014, the out-of-contract Bulldog will walk into Simonds Stadium armed with an unshakable belief he belongs at the highest level.

The qualified carpenter is keen to build on his 26 games in the red, white and blue, before a likely return to his hometown of Kyneton to finish off his career where it started.

"I've signed six straight one-year deals, so why not make it seven?" Redpath joked.
    "I think I've proved over the last two weeks I can definitely still play and that I am only going to get better.

"It's always nice to head home, but hopefully I've got a few years to go at the Dogs, and then maybe when I'm 35 I'll head back there to play."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Thanks Bulldog4life, N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good on you Jack. If he can stay on the park and play some good footy over the next couple of months I would have no problem giving him a 2 year deal. He deserves it.

Post Thanks / Like

I love his confidence. I hope he takes the league by storm.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Big Red and his big heart. Looking forward to Stringer''s return as I think Stringer plays well beside him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I love Big Red and his big heart. Looking forward to Stringer''s return as I think Stringer plays well beside him.
    Be great to watch Jack and Cloke tomorrow night. Two contested mark beasts.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Be great to watch Jack and Cloke tomorrow night. Two contested mark beasts.
    Is Redpath really a contested mark player? I see him as a 'hit up' type.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Is Redpath really a contested mark player? I see him as a 'hit up' type.
    So is Cloke. I wouldn't really class either of them as contested beasts.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.