Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  47
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Round 18 2016 - Western Bulldogs V St. Kilda

www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah wow. What can you say in response to that..... Good luck Mitch.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.

Gut wrenching to hear that.

Post Thanks / Like

Devastating to lose Wallis and Redpath like that. Absolutely gutted. Worst luck, this year.

On another note, Suckling was outstandingly terrible. He wasn't the only one, but holy hell. I don't think he did a single thing right all night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Listened to that on the way home. Just gut wrenching stuff. Good luck Mitch and Jack!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah crap.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

While we are focusing on the injured players, which I understand, there are a couple of other points that have escaped some discussion and might have contributed significantly to the loss.

Did Richardson out coach Bevo tonight?
    Did our missed opportunities in converting goals hurt us as much as the injuries tonight?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

This just confirms what my thoughts were when the siren sounded - Our season ended tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Did our missed opportunities in converting goals hurt us as much as the injuries tonight?
    Goes without saying that I wish for a speedy recovery for both Wally and Red. Devastating for these two to suffer auch significant injuries. But putting the injuries to one side, we played a very poor brand of footy and thoroughly deserved to lose.

To answer your questions, Richo structured up around the ball and down back very well and clearly had the better of Bevo in the coaches box. Spare man down back is a major problem for us in relation to delivering inside 50 - once again tonight we either bombed it to the Saints spare or completely missed easy spot-up kicks further out around 40m.

I don't think missed opportunities hurt us as much as poor delivery into our forward line did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While we are focusing on the injured players, which I understand, there are a couple of other points that have escaped some discussion and might have contributed significantly to the loss.

Also they couldn't seem to miss from the 50.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Reckon Hunter was awful - no point getting a heap of ball when your decision making is constantly sub-standard. Opposition coaches most likely structure up to allow Hunter to pick up uncontested possessions. Stevens is the other one who is fantastic at winning the ball but then makes too many poor decisions with ball in hand.

Bont is a special player, as is Macrae. These two have an amazing work ethic to run both ways and impact inside and outside the contest. They didn't have many mates tonight.

Boyd was decent around the ground and in the ruck. Suckers played like a millionaire.

3 soldiers in and 3 out, possibly 4. Let's see how the depth players can impact at senior level. Redders to be replaced by a small (Dahl if ready or Bailey Dale), Wally by a Webb type or Stringer if ready, Morris by a Brad Lynch type (or Hamling), Roughy with Minno. Still a highly competitive team.

We were awful tonight (notwithstanding injuries) but 12-5 is a season of merit thus far - keen to see how we respond for the remainder of the season.
    I agree that if we're structuring up to release Hunter, he needs to use it better.. But equally, he needs some forward structure and movement to look up to.

Can't help but think Crameri and Stringer would provide that... Jake might've played through some pain tonight... Just sayin'....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    TV showed the ambos taking him away before the end of the game. I think, hope, he was on the pain relief and at hospital before the game concluded.
    Nope, players saw him. They tried to get him out, but couldn't.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Should add to previous that the match committee might've pencilled in a win tonight with a view to Geelong. Not picking on Jake, per se, with above comment.

Kid was probably willing to play.... Just feels like a touch of conservative hubris to me.. That shoulder did a lot more work signing autographs tonight than it might've as a decoy forward target and a touch of X factor.

They killed us with defensive marks and rebound... We pay the price..

Ahh well, we live and learn..

We'd be paying $6 to win in Geelong on Friday, so hubris is out the window. Go Dogs! Nothing to lose!

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts are with both lads and their teammates
    Speedy recovery

Post Thanks / Like

Disappointing is all I can say regarding that performance last night.

The injuries to Redpath, Morris and Wallis just hurt. It just seems when things are starting to fall into place something bad happens. We may have had a few close ones which we have won this year but gee we have not been lucky on the injury front. We need Stringer back in the side to give us something up forward and Dahl as well who we have really missed.

Our forward line really needs to be looked at and something has to change with it or else will struggle in the finals campaign.

Geel
    NM
    Coll
    Ess
    Fre

You would think 3 games there should be wins with the North and Geelong games 50/50 but really we cannot say anything.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"