Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  25
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 20 2016 vs North Melbourne

I think we'll see another 4 changes this week, maybe 5. Looks like Minson isn't being factored into thinking at all, but I still feel he should be in the mix. Replacements for Libba and Macrae, maybe Roughhead? He was sore in the shoulders I thought from his body language.

Hrovat and Webb up for inclusion. Any of Boyd, Morris and Suckling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If you can only have one of Stevens or Jong, who do you pick?

I'm leaning towards Jong.
    I say Stevens. The goal Jong missed to start the third quarter was honestly a match defining moment. If you can't kick, you can't play and he HAD to kick that. I simply don't trust him with the ball in hand and I don't understand how anyone can.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Likes bornadog, jeemak, Mofra, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kicking is king and Lin can't kick . Stevens although not a great kick , is better than Lin .

Post Thanks / Like

Jong's advantage is his athleticism. However he doesn't use it enough, doesn't get enough of the ball and doesn't do enough with the ball right now. So the question is can he fix some or all of these issues? If so he'll probably offer more than Koby. If not Koby's the better player right now and will probably stay that way.

Post Thanks / Like

mark Stevens reporting that Macrae and Libba will both be out til end of year. Can it get any worse?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

7. Thanks bornadog, Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Stevens got BOG only 3 games back against GCS. I thought both Stevens and Jong worked very hard at the stoppages against Gee, which helped to stop the match becoming a blowout for us and Adcock had his best outing for us. Nevertheless...

Out: Libba (inj), Macrae (inj) Hamling, Adcock, Jong.

In: McLean, Hrovat, Morris, Webb, Minson.

(I am assuming Matt Boyd and Suckling will not be available.)

Minson can go all match in the ruck, won't do much else except go from stoppage to stoppage, but that will give us the flexibility to play Tom Boyd and Roughy in other positions.

Webb to be played as a backman in place of Adcock. Sorry to all the Adcock fans but I have a policy (a "play youth" policy) of selecting any of the following ahead of him: Cordy, Webb, Dale, Hrovat, Honeychurch, Williams, R Smith, Jong.
    On reflection, Jong stays in. Hrovat to find form in the VFL first.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

9. Thanks Mantis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I say Stevens. The goal Jong missed to start the third quarter was honestly a match defining moment. If you can't kick, you can't play and he HAD to kick that. I simply don't trust him with the ball in hand and I don't understand how anyone can.
    Would Stevens have kicked it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    On reflection, Jong stays in. Hrovat to find form in the VFL first.
    Interesting reflection. Granted I didnt see yesterday's VFL game but Hrovat played better than McLean and has more match fitness than McLean.

I would give McLean one more game at VFL level before considering him.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

12. Thanks F'scary thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Would Stevens have kicked it?
    In short, no.

I'm not a fan of Jong, but outside of his 3-4 standout games against average opposition a year, Stevens is no better. He's slow by foot and mind and is a terrible decision maker. He's a better kick than Jong, but I'd almost argue Jong has overtaken him in most other areas. For all his obvious flaws, Jong has a bit of presence in big games. When has Stevens stepped up in a big game?

FWIW neither should be in our best 22 in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    mark Stevens reporting that Macrae and Libba will both be out til end of year. Can it get any worse?
    We'll be in the "making up the numbers" mix if things don't improve.

Post Thanks / Like

Waite is out for the rest of the home and away season. He was probably the difference last time so at least that's one less headache for our backline. Odds on Majak Daw returning and kicking 6 against us again?

16. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whilst we have a number of hardworking inside players who are all capable of cracking in and doing the hard work, we have very few who are capable of delivering some real quality disposals from inside the packs. This is where we really miss Mitch and Tom. I think the MC should be looking for precisely this quality when bringing in replacements for this week. Could we be in for a surprise selection? Who shows this ability in the twos?

Also I am another vote for Big Will's inclusion, even though the consensus in this thread is that he will not play.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm for bringing Hrovat in. One thing he does do is lower his eyes when kicking into the forward line and is a neat kick. We'll need that against North who prefer the ball coming in long and high.

I desperately want to see us kick goals on Thompson and Ferritto this week. Two of my most despised players.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

19. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I'm for bringing Hrovat in. One thing he does do is lower his eyes when kicking into the forward line and is a neat kick. We'll need that against North who prefer the ball coming in long and high.

I desperately want to see us kick goals on Thompson and Ferritto this week. Two of my most despised players.
    You are not alone there.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Jong has to be instructed if he is free out the back with the ball, to run, as Jarrad Grant used to, right into the mouth of the goals, and kick it right into the stands. He has the pace to do that, and it's better than his errant kicking, even from 30 out.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus