Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Coaching Merry-Go-Round Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    That they claim not to be entertaining interest from other clubs in Brett Deledio tells me they're not serious as list managers.

He'd command a first round and maybe a player most likely, which is precisely what they need. Or possibly, a couple of decent younger players in a trade could secure him.

It would be great if we could somehow get our hands on him. He'd really add some outside polish and finishing ability to our team.
    Fantastic player, but getting to a period where I'm concerned about the repetition of soft tissue injuries.

2. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Fantastic player, but getting to a period where I'm concerned about the repetition of soft tissue injuries.
    That's fair enough, players of his age come with a risk profile.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    That they claim not to be entertaining interest from other clubs in Brett Deledio tells me they're not serious as list managers.

He'd command a first round and maybe a player most likely, which is precisely what they need. Or possibly, a couple of decent younger players in a trade could secure him.

It would be great if we could somehow get our hands on him. He'd really add some outside polish and finishing ability to our team.
    Could just be posturing. Especially this early in the year

Post Thanks / Like

I've got to say I'm shocked there's been no coach sackings yet.

Bolton at Carlton had an absolute mare of a year. And he doesn't have a fixed term contract. I'm surprised they're staying loyal. Unlike them.
    Richo at St Kilda. 4 wins and a draw and very lucky to have them. The players seem to be regressing under him.
    Ross Lyon at Freo. Again, he looks like he's taking them backwards year on year. Then that tanking at Geelong... That's leaving a stain.
    Hinkley at Port. Brought in all the well known names last year, missed the finals, good players now left. Lucky man.
    Worsfold at Essendon. I would've thought Hird would be back in charge by now...

Strange times.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

They can thank Hardwick and Buckley for both having successful seasons off the back of respective previous seasons where they where all but gone by most pundits. They've provided Club power brokers with enough reason to back their man in for another season or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I've got to say I'm shocked there's been no coach sackings yet.

Bolton at Carlton had an absolute mare of a year. And he doesn't have a fixed term contract. I'm surprised they're staying loyal. Unlike them.
    Richo at St Kilda. 4 wins and a draw and very lucky to have them. The players seem to be regressing under him.
    Ross Lyon at Freo. Again, he looks like he's taking them backwards year on year. Then that tanking at Geelong... That's leaving a stain.
    Hinkley at Port. Brought in all the well known names last year, missed the finals, good players now left. Lucky man.
    Worsfold at Essendon. I would've thought Hird would be back in charge by now...

Strange times.
    Sacking Lyon would cost Freo too much money; that's the only reason he is still there. He still has two years to run on his contract with a pay-out clause that has him getting every cent of that contract. He is reportedly earning a seven digit figure per year.
    WOOF Member 422

8. Thanks bulldogtragic, hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Sacking Lyon would cost Freo too much money; that's the only reason he is still there. He still has two years to run on his contract with a pay-out clause that has him getting every cent of that contract. He is reportedly earning a seven digit figure per year.
    Hilarious. I do wonder what the non-financial cost is of keeping him on though. Obvious less than $2,000,000.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Hilarious. I do wonder what the non-financial cost is of keeping him on though. Obvious less than $2,000,000.
    The amount of members who are walking away because of Lyon is considerable, but their recruiting of Hogan and Lobb (combined with the patronage/thrill of the new stadium) will counter-act this somewhat ... thus under the $2M mark.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    The amount of members who are walking away because of Lyon is considerable, but their recruiting of Hogan and Lobb (combined with the patronage/thrill of the new stadium) will counter-act this somewhat ... thus under the $2M mark.
    Thinking about Lyon, his personality, his coaching and they way his team's play is the exact opposite of a footy aphrodisiac. I feel their pain. If they don't make finals next year, I wonder what that does to the debate in WA about whether they extend him or let him 'retire' from coaching? Or is there a favourite son, Buckley like favourite son, they can bring in for a formal handover of head coach in two years?

Post Thanks / Like

Freo members will soon be walking away in droves after having to watch Lobb for a season or two.
    More of an In Bruges guy?