Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Asking Tom Boyd to take a pay cut sets a dangerous precendent

Titus O'RiellyAsking Tom Boyd to take a pay cut is a disgrace

Earlier this week, Cameron Mooney and known glove wearer Luke Darcy, called for Tom Boyd to take a pay cut.

To say this is an outrage is putting it too mildly. It is downright un-Australian. It is an attack on the soul of this country girt by sea.

Right now, Tom Boyd isn’t doing his job as an AFL player very well. In fact, he often seems to be phoning it in and has been promoted well above his skill set.

But do we automatically reduce his salary as a result?

To do so would set a precedent that could decimate the Australian economy overnight.

If we reduced the salary of every Aussie not doing their job very well, we would be plunging wages back to 1970s levels.

It would make the recent Global Financial Crisis look like a children’s picnic.

It’s the type of accountability everyone likes directed at someone else but not towards themselves.

It’s also counter to the Australian ideal that doing a poor job, shirking the real work should get you promoted, not a reduced salary.

Many of the best executives I’ve ever known have been terrible at their jobs. It’s why they got promoted, to get them away from any equipment they could damage themselves or others with. To put a barrier between them and the actual work.

It’s not Tom’s fault he’s been given a job he can’t do and a lot of money. He’s not the only white male that’s happened to.

Before we start docking footballers pay for not performing, think about the precedent that sets.

After all, you’re probably reading this when you should be working.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

2. Likes Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asking Tom Boyd to take a pay cut sets a dangerous precendent

I must admit I chuckled when I read this.

As I do with most of Titus' stuff.

4. Thanks Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Titus is my hero .. Sarcasm but true !

Post Thanks / Like

What's with the "white male" bit?
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I wondered sbout that. I also wondered what executives being good at being executives even though they can't tie their shoelaces had to do with Tom Boyd's contract.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    The idea that it's not uncommon for white guys to coast though life a little bit easier than some others, for things to be a bit more likely to just work out and generally have a bit more privileged life.

Not too controversial in our society I wouldn't think

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    The idea that it's not uncommon for white guys to coast though life a little bit easier than some others, for things to be a bit more likely to just work out and generally have a bit more privileged life.

Very true; I'm doing this right now!

Bit rich coming from the satirical AFL writer I would have thought though.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

So he means when someone is promoted to a pointless management level position where they cant do as much damage as they could do in a position where people have to actually do work?

Like the Executive Officer in Charge of the Procurement of Toilet Paper or something along those lines? (I worked in the public service for a long time)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    So he means when someone is promoted to a pointless management level position where they cant do as much damage as they could do in a position where people have to actually do work?

Like the Executive Officer in Charge of the Procurement of Toilet Paper or something along those lines? (I worked in the public service for a long time)
    I saw that as being one thing. The other being the there's more assumed competence/benefit of the doubt for white guys in managerial positions. The opposite of in Anchorman when they worry a female news anchor will attract bears.

Post Thanks / Like

In Education, usually the most competent teachers are still in classrooms, while the duds get promoted.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

13. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    In Education, usually the most competent teachers are still in classrooms, while the duds get promoted.
    Sounds familiar

Post Thanks / Like

Jack Watts gives Toyd a pat on the back and tells him to buy a set of earplugs.

Link Here

93% of people surveyed on Fox Footy believe Tom will succeed in being a dominant key forward.
    The other 7% must be journalists I think.

16. Thanks N/A, strebla thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds very familiar

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that as being one thing. The other being the there's more assumed competence/benefit of the doubt for white guys in managerial positions. The opposite of in Anchorman when they worry a female news anchor will attract bears.

So they did to!

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things I love about what our game is doing is promoting equality. If it is not ok to generalise based on something that should be completely trivial like skin tone, then it is not ok with me to do so.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon