Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Asking Tom Boyd to take a pay cut sets a dangerous precendent

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I saw that as being one thing. The other being the there's more assumed competence/benefit of the doubt for white guys in managerial positions. The opposite of in Anchorman when they worry a female news anchor will attract bears.
    If it is wrong to generalise about one person's skin colour, then it is wrong to generalise about anyone's. Your smarmy internet PC attitude actually drives people into the extremists camps. It is divisive. And your generalisation above is just so sweeping it is inane.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Titus used the wrong word. I think he meant something to express the sentiment of CEO types who are really not very good at their jobs, but collect massive dollars. White is not the right word, but I know what he meant to express.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    One of the things I love about what our game is doing is promoting equality. If it is not ok to generalise based on something that should be completely trivial like skin tone, then it is not ok with me to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    If it is wrong to generalise about one person's skin colour, then it is wrong to generalise about anyone's. Your smarmy internet PC attitude actually drives people into the extremists camps. It is divisive. And your generalisation above is just so sweeping it is inane.
    If you're looking for an argument/fight then I'd suggest looking literally anywhere else on the internet to do so.

But if you think that in our society there are not advantages to being born a white guy, then I'll just say I disagree and leave it there

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently Caroline Wilson on Classified last night reckons Darcy might have gotten a whisper in his ear to run with this.
    No proof of course , just gossiping .
    I reckon Clarkson gets Dunstall to do this with Hawthorn , in having a not so subtle dig at a player or the group , to garner a reaction

Post Thanks / Like

And we get Damien Barrett.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Apparently Caroline Wilson on Classified last night reckons Darcy might have gotten a whisper in his ear to run with this.
    No proof of course , just gossiping .
    I reckon Clarkson gets Dunstall to do this with Hawthorn , in having a not so subtle dig at a player or the group , to garner a reaction
    That is the dumbest thing she has ever said.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That is the dumbest thing she has ever said.
    As you all know, I am not one of Caroline Wilson's fans usually, but I agreed and liked her taking Luke Darcy to task. He is a nice guy, and a club legend, but I really disliked him putting extra pressure on Tom in the media.
    Link
    She has a go at Peter, which I don't really make much of.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Damien barrett ~ white guy coasting through life with no skill. Ha! Any excuse to throw the boot in.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see another white guy, Wayne Carey giving Tom a big pat on his big back, Talking Footy, 24:00 Link

To his credit Barrett had some good things to say about Tom on Footy Classified.
    Great game against quality opposition Tom.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 03-08-2016 at 10:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I asked an AFL bod about player contracts and salary caps

PLEASE don't quote this on any other forum.

Here's some edited highlights. I had to delete some really juicy stuff re specific players (none of them dogs)

Ok. So basically there are two types of contracts.

One includes a base payment plus match payments. Match payments are only for AFL games and players don't receive a payment for reserves/state league games. This type of contract is generally for new players, fringe players and possible older players. The club and player gets reward for return.

So let's say the base is $100k and matches are $5k per game a player could have a 'potential earn' of $210k. The potential earn is base plus 22 games X $5k. Often we have bonus clauses if players get to potential matches played (within that one season) milestones. Eg players get bonuses at say 12,15 and 18 games. Other incentives are usually around club B&F finishes (top 10).

The other is a base payment only contract - we call it 'guaranteed money'. The player gets that amount regardless of games played in the season. They still may have incentives as mentioned above included also. So regardless of form or injury or on the flip-side, how many games they play they get the same amount. This type of contract is for the regular player - players who the club need to look after to keep them.

Injury payments are the same as the match payments (no 50% stuff like SANFL clubs have) but these are only paid if the player is injured during an AFL game or at training of their last game was after they played an AFL game.

Of course, if a player is on a base only contract, they don't receive injury payments.

Tom Boyd would be on guaranteed money. No match payments, so regardless of him playing VFL or AFL he is still being paid that same amount and unfortunately, the full amount is under the cap and as such, it wouldn't be freeing up the salary cap at all.

Clubs will front load or back end contracts to either make sure that the players contract can fit in with other contracts already honored or it may be done to allow space to recruit in a free agent or another big name player (usually then a front ended contract).

So a player could be purported to be on $600k a year for 3 years but in reality may be getting $450, $600, $750k over the 3 years - the average being $600k.

clubs must may over 92.5% of the cap each year, however they can average the cap over three years - the totals must be between 95 -105%.

Ie if a club paid 92.5% one year, they couldn't pay 107.5%, only a max of 105%.

11. Thanks jeemak, bornadog, Happy Days, boydogs, Ghost Dog, N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Good to see another white guy, Wayne Carey giving Tom a big pat on his big back, Talking Footy, 24:00 Link

To his credit Barrett had some good things to say about Tom on Footy Classified.
    Great game against quality opposition Tom.
    Caroline's point was that Darcy was revving Toyd at the behest of the club and Peter. She claimed other clubs had used this tactic.
    Footscray Football Republic.