Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs gone? Not necessarily. Why the Western Bulldogs shouldn't give up AFL hopes just yet

An AFL premiership hangover is nothing new, even if it’s rare for the reigning champions to miss finals the next year, but the Western Bulldogs’ opening two rounds of 2018 will have all at the club worried as they head towards unchartered waters.

The last team to miss September after holding the cup aloft was Hawthorn in 2009, but it didn’t take them long to get back into the business end of the AFL season and create one of the great teams of the modern era.

And that model may still give hope to Luke Beveridge and the Bulldogs.

MORE: Bulldogs fans react to premiership hangover | St Kilda fan burns membership after loss to Roos

Hawthorn’s hangover year was the worse of the pair, even though they finished ninth compared to the Dogs’ 10th. Hawthorn had a 9-13 record and a percentage of 92 compared to the Western Bulldogs’ 11-11 and 97%.

The Hawks then bounced back at the beginning of 2010 with a 56-point belting of Melbourne, but it was a temporary restart as they went on to lose the next half dozen, sitting 1-6 and looking like the premiership window had slammed shut in their faces.

However, they prised it open again. From that point on and for the next five and a half years it was go-time for Hawthorn, the beginning of a brown and golden era kick started by a three-point win over Richmond and seven-straight victories as they headed back into the finals.

So there’s hope for the Bulldogs yet, even if it takes a little longer to re-find their form.

They stay at Etihad the next two weeks with tough games against Essendon and Sydney, and if they can snatch a win in either of those it may snap them straight back into action.

Then it’s a run of four very winnable games against Fremantle, Carlton, Gold Coast and Brisbane.

If they keep their heads down and work on what they know they can do, the Bulldogs could be back in the black by mid-May.

But if they’re still in the red by the end of round eight it’s hard to see them turning it around, and pressure on all at the Kennel will ramp up to the max.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/n...g14ux7325gps4b

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs gone? Not necessarily. Why the Western Bulldogs shouldn't give up AFL hopes just yet

I guess that means that after winning the 2008 flag, Hawthorn went 10-18 in their following 28 matches - only to extract the digit and turn it around. Clearly the talent was there..

We’ve gone 11-13 in our following 24 post flag matches. I don’t expect it to happen in the next fortnight, but I think there’s too much ability on the list for us not to get going at some point. I just hope it’s not too late!

The worst thing we can do is panic or let spuds like Barrett shape perception. And, btw, there’s no time like the present.. Particularly with my most hated rival coming up on Sunday!

3. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs gone? Not necessarily. Why the Western Bulldogs shouldn't give up AFL hopes just yet

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I guess that means that after winning the 2008 flag, Hawthorn went 10-18 in their following 28 matches - only to extract the digit and turn it around. Clearly the talent was there..

We’ve gone 11-13 in our following 24 post flag matches. I don’t expect it to happen in the next fortnight, but I think there’s too much ability on the list for us not to get going at some point. I just hope it’s not too late!

The worst thing we can do is panic or let spuds like Barrett shape perception. And, btw, there’s no time like the present.. Particularly with my most hated rival coming up on Sunday!
    Yabby Jeans used to sat "It's sooner than you think"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite