Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Senior Assistant Coach Brett Montgomery departs the kennel

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Seems most probable. The precise wording "...to start planning for the next phase of his career" (rather than something like 'to pursue further opportunities') would indicate that his next role is locked in (presumably senior). Senior assistants rarely leave midseason just to throw their hat into the ring elsewhere.

If he does have a role elsewhere, it certainly wouldn't be the place of us to provide any detail further than what we have said.
    Either he has got a job, or some other reason for leaving. You wouldn't leave just for hope of getting another role.

Edit - Didn't the AFL say recently all assistants must be informed by August 1st if their contracts will be renewed or not? Maybe bevo wants a new senior assistant?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

You're all missing the obvious angle to this article.

The Boyd contact takes it's first casualty...

3. Likes bulldogtragic, Topdog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any truth to the rumour he was seen touring Collingwood's facilities? Imagine if he showed up in the Pies box on Friday. That'd be some WWE showmanship right there.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

5. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I blame Tom Boyd's contract.

And so will Damien Barrett.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing happened with Sumich at Freo on Monday. Is it this new AFLCA rule where you have to tell assistants by end of last weekend their prospects for next year? We've told him "we can't guarantee you a coaching position", he's read the tea leaves and left straight away. Possibly in a huff.

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Montgomerys & The Gordon's co own and manage the Pound Cafe don't they? I wonder what happens with this?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The Montgomerys & The Gordon's co own and manage the Pound Cafe don't they? I wonder what happens with this?
    Mrs Gordon will do a takeover

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that is 100% shite with three games left till the end of the season. Talk about throwing your hat into the ring early. Good luck to him, will never forget the 2006 elimination final or his contribution to the club in a coaching capacity.

The best thing about this is that Bevo now has an opportunity to bring in the first person he wants in the box. Hundred bucks Bevo already knows who his replacement will be.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

13. Likes ReLoad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't Monty going when Bevo was appointed or was that speculation based on him being an unsuccessful candidate?
    I have looked into Monty's eyes during preseason last year as he addressed players coming off during interchange. He seemed as hard as. Wish him well, he will always be a Bulldog until he coaches the other team in a GF.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Either he has got a job, or some other reason for leaving. You wouldn't leave just for hope of getting another role.

Edit - Didn't the AFL say recently all assistants must be informed by August 1st if their contracts will be renewed or not? Maybe bevo wants a new senior assistant?
    It's like horses' birthday, all assistant coaches posies are up for grabs on Aug 1 for a reason and Montie is a bird of a feather and took the opportunity. Bet he has a job lined up, I'm sure he is ultra ambitious and would go to Brisbane.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

No need to fear this guys, this is what happens when you build up a good operation. It is a sign of a healthy club
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

17. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously has had other offers and I wish him well , I see no disharmony or doomsayers reasons for this , no disharmony at the club or anything like that, just a good assistant, opening up his options, he obviously asked to go, can't stop a coach going to move higher.
    Why would he go?
    Maybe he wants a senior gig and Bevo has just resigned another 3 years. Please please don't read anything nasty into it I'm sure there isn't, coaches move all
    The time for experience and opportunities, it's not a big deal.
    Although no doubt Barrett will come up with some calamatis crap that's just to have a go at Luke.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet it's bloody Gordon interfering again.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I bet it's bloody Gordon interfering again.
    Is that you Carro

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely Tom Boyd's contract at work again.

Pretty soon Tom will be the only one left at Whitten oval.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite