Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Will 2008 be Westy's last season?

Hes been a champ and has been a great part of this club for many years but I think 2008 might be his last for the red,white and blue.
    He adapted very well to coming on and off the bench a fair bit in 2007 but I think next season he will also spend time away from the midfield and I doubt if that will suit him

How do you think Eade will best use him in 2008 and do you think it will be his last season ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will 2008 be Westy's last season?

Agree West adapted to an ever so slightly reduced role playing off the bench. More of the same in 2008 I should think.

When he was out injured, along with Cross, the team really suffered. I know West has his detractors, but really, wherever the ball is you will usually see our number 7. He just gets in there and shovels it out to someone who can run off and kick the ball.

I only hope that abductor (?) injury he incurred mid season was a one off and he doesn't succumb to further injuries as he's getting older. If he stays fit and healthy I can see him playing on for at least another couple of seasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Would think 09 may be his last, but this may depend on how West and the team performs next year. If we have a poor year, almost regardless of how Westy goes he may pull the pin or be forced to pull the pin. If we shoot up the ladder next season Westy may hang around for one last crack at a flag in 09.

Post Thanks / Like

The blooke is still averaging competition high disposal numbers, and unless this stops he won't stop. Once his disposal count drops below about 23 a match he may retire, but until then his experience and hardness should be greatly valued assets. As Mantis said, if we have an ascending year up the ladder this year and make finals then even if Westy doesn't have a good year he will probably stay on to have one last ping at a premiership.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

If he plays well during 2008 he might squeeze out another season. I'm not sure if we will like spending more time on the bench or even a few stints up forward but I'd be surprised if he just didn't adapt to it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think that because of Cross and Boyd West will feel more comfortable when he retires but as long as he fells he is contributing to a team that has some hope of playing finals he will probably be happy playing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    The blooke is still averaging competition high disposal numbers, and unless this stops he won't stop. Once his disposal count drops below about 23 a match he may retire, but until then his experience and hardness should be greatly valued assets. As Mantis said, if we have an ascending year up the ladder this year and make finals then even if Westy doesn't have a good year he will probably stay on to have one last ping at a premiership.
    I dont think his retirement would depend on him averaging lower than 23 disposals.

I think he will retire when he feels hes not influencing games on his own behalf like he did when he was at his prime.

Having said that though i just cant see him slowing down and would love it for him to bow out while still racking up those huge numbers.

But as of 2008 being his last. I would say almost 50/50. If he struggles with injury or the team has a downer then that might influence him to hang up the boots. Personally i hope he doesnt.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he should try and play in 2009 too, if his body holds up. His ability to run hard all day is still extremely important, along with everything else that he offers.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the end of '09 will do him...but perhaps that's more wishful thinking as it'll be a huge loss to see him hang up the boots. I think he's still got 2 years in him though, he certainly hasn't slowed down too much of late, if he keeps it up and the team is doing well then there's no reason why he shouldn't continue in to 2009.

Post Thanks / Like

Being the ultimate professional that Scott West is, he will do everything to keep his body in the best condition, the driving force for him is to win a Premiership and he will push himself to the absolute limit to try and achieve that. So you always know that his imput will be at the highest level.

He will most probably continue as he did this last season with some bench time to preserve his energy - I dont see him retiring in 2008 and feel he will still have more in the tank for 2009. He is of the Robert Harvey mould.