Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Player Positions

Is it time to reduce congestion in games to have players play more in there defined positions a lot more than just all around. Could this for instance help more with our forward line issues in players leading up more and learning the leading pattern craft.

Keen to get your thoughts on this?
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Positions

I think the days of set positions is long gone and if you want to see that type of footy catch a country league game.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Best way to get rid of congestion is have 16 players on the ground.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think now I'm used to the game now but could in another thread on here decreasing rotations also help with reducing congestion. I'm not a fan of 16 a side and rather keep it at 18 as it has always and work around that. We do not want to keep changing it even further.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Whichever coach can beat the zone footy then they are very good. I hear a lot of fellow supporters around me at games saying most weeks to pick the opposition up but clearly today man on man footy isn't done as much as it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Having a minimum amount of players in particular parts of the ground at any one time could work.

Say for instance, a minimum of one in the forward 50m, and an additional three behind the half way line. Coaches would then need to ensure the players behind the half way line are positioned effectively so they can actually be used.

Illegal defence rules could be introduced, with only a certain amount of players able to form a grid.

The big issue with these scenarios and every other one conceived is how to police adapted rules. Every path leads to more umpiring or official intervention, and that's not something anyone wants.

It's probably best the game is left alone.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Having a minimum amount of players in particular parts of the ground at any one time could work.

Say for instance, a minimum of one in the forward 50m, and an additional three behind the half way line. Coaches would then need to ensure the players behind the half way line are positioned effectively so they can actually be used.

Illegal defence rules could be introduced, with only a certain amount of players able to form a grid.

The big issue with these scenarios and every other one conceived is how to police adapted rules. Every path leads to more umpiring or official intervention, and that's not something anyone wants.

It's probably best the game is left alone.
    We certainly don't want more of that as that is a huge issue as it is right now. If some our forward players did remain more in the forward line but still had the option to move around the ground - but not as much as now could that improve it - more emphasise to improve the goal kicking.