Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  108
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Players On The Market 2016

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Didn't we do this with Cooney and Higgins 3 years ago?
    Did anyone really worry about losing Higgins?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I think there are many ways to skin the premiership cat.

Hawks do it with methodical approach. Clarko still loves/cares for his players though.

We did it with uber passion and love. Just insane. Hard to keep that going with you openly make players dispensable.

What is right for Hawthorn would be wrong for us. And that's fine.
    Spot on Rocco, most Hawks supporters would realise that they've done remarkably well and that it's time to reset the clock much like they did when they traded a whole heap of players fro draft picks years ago.

Did we ultimately do better because we took the hit on Lake, Cooney, Higgins and Griffen?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Did anyone really worry about losing Higgins?
    Only about 26,591 15 year old girls. I don't think there will be heaps of Hawthorn people gutted if a 31 year old Lewis is traded to alleviate cap.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Demons have offfered a 3 year deal to Lewis looks like the full hawks rebuild is underway.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't we do this with Cooney and Higgins 3 years ago?
    You can't compare those four players.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Because ours were crap? I'm not comparing anyway its relative. I'm just saying we had a major clean out 3 years ago and fan favourites were amongst them.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Because ours were crap? I'm not comparing anyway its relative. I'm just saying we had a major clean out 3 years ago and fan favourites were amongst them.
    A lot of that was player lead and there was a huge problem between coach and players.

2 years ago it seemed like a huge problem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    A lot of that was player lead and there was a huge problem between coach and players.

2 years ago it seemed like a huge problem
    Didn't Clarko and Mitchell sort this out 12 months ago?

I seem to remember being told on here Cooney was pushed.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry talking about our lot. Cooney I believe was pushed and that was part of the huge problems between players and the coach at the time

Post Thanks / Like

Ok gotcha.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw some photos of Bonts is in Italy with good mate Josh Kelly (GWS, went draft pick 2 to his draft pick 4). It'd be nice to grab him and have the three best players of that draft together at the club. Hopefully Bonts is convincing him to come to not only a real club, but a successful club.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    how would everyone here feel if we sold off Morris and M.Boyd (and the rest) to bring in T.Mitchell and O'Meara?

I think we'd have 30,000 at Whitten oval with pitchforks, ropes and fire starters!
    Indeed. From my perspective this is huge mismanagement by the Hawks. Lewis and Mitchell (and others) seem to have been playing on unders and taking pay-cuts to help the Hawks stay on top, and now they have been 'rewarded' for their loyalty by being told they are not wanted after finishing 1st and 2nd in the Best & Fairest.

Actually makes North Melbourne seem like they handled their debacle with some measure of care and professionalism (which they did not).

I'd be furious if I was a Hawks barracker, and I know quite a few that are furious. And Lewis is understandably pissed off (I imagine Mitchell is a bit as well, after winning the B&F, but he was older and his move does make slightly more sense).

The Hawks have been brilliant at list-building and list-managing the last few years, but if you ask players to take pay cuts in order to keep a winning team together, then I think that you owe them some generosity in the way that you treat them. It will also surely come back to bite them at some stage. Even if Tom Mitchell, O'Meara and Vickery (heaven forbid), do bring more success to them, can you imagine that any other Hawks players are going to take (much-needed) pay cuts to help sustain this success in the next few years? I can't.

The Hawks have an aging list, and need to manage it, but I think this ruthlessness is pretty awful, and it hasn't been as orchestrated as they'd like to have us think. The whole Lewis situation has been shambolic - the way a club with a losing, not winning, culture behaves. Makes you wonder if they are missing Fagan already (a few media types have hinted that they don't think it would have played out this way with him around)...

From all accounts, we were going to retire or move on Matty Boyd, Morris, and Minson when Beveridge arrived and he put a stop to that which has played a huge role in us winning the flag. (I still love saying those words.) Thank the Bullgods that Beveridge didn't follow the usual template and that we didn't get rid of them. This strange conceit that older players can't contribute to success is bizarre - and we've seen how Melbourne and even the Gold Coast Suns have suffered significantly from not having a good group of senior players.

Sometimes it is time for an older player to go, but club's need loyalty from players more than ever if they want to try and build something special, and those players who sacrifice need to know that the club will have their back for that.

It does. I'd be happy to offer Burgoyne a 2 year deal right now for a very late pick. Seems he'll be gone after next year as well and he may want to top up a bit of super.

The family club is being torn asunder.
    I'd love to get Burgoyne - for mine he was the key factor that drove their comebacks in the regular season (ok Burgoyne and some, ah, interesting umpiring). And he'd fit very nicely into the game-plan/style. Can't believe we'd be able to get him, but would love to try!
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

15. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, strebla, choconmientay, Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fyfe has had multiple meetings with the Blues. Could be there this trade period. Source Blues Facebook site.

Post Thanks / Like

Fyfe has had multiple meetings with the Blues. Could be there this trade period. Source Blues Facebook site.
    With Hamling Freo bound, we should be going hard. They'd take Adams without a shadow of a doubt too, as well as our first rounder and more. We've got the cash...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    With Hamling Freo bound, we should be going hard. They'd take Adams without a shadow of a doubt too, as well as our first rounder and more. We've got the cash...
    Likey like