Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  108
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Players On The Market 2016

Jonathan Giles & Jack Fitzpatrick both starred in wins to get their teams across the line. We don't need to recruit Goldstein or Mumford. Vickery will do the job nicely and as a free agent is a cherry on top. I think I'm now firmly completely in the recruit Ty Vickery thinking.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The other thing I like about Vickery is he is 26 years old so has lots of footy left in him. He should be at his peak as a tall.
    And he is an accurate kick for goal from what I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Vickery as a free agent is a no brainer. Can't see anyone else in the market who's going to fill a very specific need so neatly. He won't be a superstar or a saviour, but he can ruck, is mobile, can contest around the ground and take inside 50 contested marks.
    The main reason I would consider him is that he is a free agent. If he can get his act together he could be a valuable player but from what I have seen he is like one of those cricket all-rounders who looks like has has the right tools but comes up short on delivery when it counts. I don't think he could hold his spot as a forward nor could he as a ruckman.

The bonus if we were to land him would be that Tom Boyd would be our primary target up forward and not needed as much to do some ruck work.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The main reason I would consider him is that he is a free agent. If he can get his act together he could be a valuable player but from what I have seen he is like one of those cricket all-rounders who looks like has has the right tools but comes up short on delivery when it counts. I don't think he could hold his spot as a forward nor could he as a ruckman.

The bonus if we were to land him would be that Tom Boyd would be our primary target up forward and not needed as much to do some ruck work.
    Could Leigh Brown have done either?

Post Thanks / Like

I would be for Vickery. Fills the role of second ruck much better than most, and helps with our ruck depth issue. Has been serviceable at AFL level, enough so that he would justifiably get a game for us. Would be a free agent, so costs little but salary cap space, and is a former pick 8 that has been developed by Richmond, which means he would be a chance to take another step forward if put in a better system such as ours.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Could Leigh Brown have done either?
    Or David Hale. North Melbourne didn't think so on both counts. But they now think Boomer is finished too. As for Vickery, he seems to me to a confidence player and everyone at Punt Road is clearly unhappy. I don't think he's going to be a superstar, but our mantra of flexibility means we have a ruck/defender in Roughy, ruck/forwards in Campbell & Vickery and Tom Boyd at Full Forward who can pinch hit if he has to with a second tall target. The flow on effect for our forward line is worth more than the sum of the parts I feel.

If we were forced to offer Cloke or Vickery three years and similar money (with Collingwood paying some), I wouldn't think twice about which one and Vickery comes free.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I would be for Vickery. Fills the role of second ruck much better than most, and helps with our ruck depth issue. Has been serviceable at AFL level, enough so that he would justifiably get a game for us. Would be a free agent, so costs little but salary cap space, and is a former pick 8 that has been developed by Richmond, which means he would be a chance to take another step forward if put in a better system such as ours.
    That's the problem at Richmond, the internal pressure and fan pressure is about his output as a top 10 pick. If he comes to us with a fresh start, he's a recycled player who his new club believes in and has only his and the internal expectations around his role. That should be quite good for his mindset and confidence you'd have to think.

8. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At the very least it would be disappointing if we didn't enquire about Vickery.

Post Thanks / Like

It is ironic that Leigh Brown(2008 delisted north) and David Hale could not get a game at north and became dedicated part players to be in premierships .
    right time right place ? or shrewd recruiting . Vickery kinda has shades of these factors for the doggies to look at recruiting him.
    Last edited by GVGjr; 29-08-2016 at 07:49 AM. Reason: A lot of typo's

Post Thanks / Like

The issue I have with Vickery is that he's a mobile inconsistent non marking forward .
    The way we enter the forward 50 John Coleman and plugger would struggle to get on the end of one .

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the get Vickery camp.

He would fit with what we need and has more flexibility than Cloke. He has shown forward than Campbell or Roughead.

We would just need to get him to believe in himself.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I am in the get Vickery camp.

He would fit with what we need and has more flexibility than Cloke. He has shown forward than Campbell or Roughead.

We would just need to get him to believe in himself.
    He's a better forward than ruckman. The advantage of getting him probably means Tom Boyd doesns't need to spend much time in the ruck. So we could potentially have a forward line of Boyd, Vickery, Crameri, Stringer and Dickson along with McLean, Daniel, Smith and a few other mids rotating through. It's a big forward line/

What does that leave for Redpath and Campbell/Roughead?

Post Thanks / Like

He's a better forward than ruckman. The advantage of getting him probably means Tom Boyd doesns't need to spend much time in the ruck. So we could potentially have a forward line of Boyd, Vickery, Crameri, Stringer and Dickson along with McLean, Daniel, Smith and a few other mids rotating through. It's a big forward line/

Remember Roughy was our fullback for a while , he can go back and help us out against tall forwards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Remember Roughy was our fullback for a while , he can go back and help us out against tall forwards
    Not many rate him in that role. I suspect he will either ruck or play for Footscray if we do in fact acquire Vickery

Post Thanks / Like

Well Redpath won't play in 2017 and his future is clouded at best.

Not sure that either of Campbell or Roughead or players we can rely upon to take the next step.
    As unpopular as it is on this site, I think Boyd is more likely to be the ruckman we need.

Vickery would make us more capable in 2017.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

17. Likes azabob liked this post