Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  108
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Players On The Market 2016

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's a better forward than ruckman. The advantage of getting him probably means Tom Boyd doesns't need to spend much time in the ruck. So we could potentially have a forward line of Boyd, Vickery, Crameri, Stringer and Dickson along with McLean, Daniel, Smith and a few other mids rotating through. It's a big forward line/

What does that leave for Redpath and Campbell/Roughead?
    Hopefully it leaves them competing hard with the others for a spot. That's what we want. A big forward line is a good thing, as long as it is also mobile enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Well Redpath won't play in 2017 and his future is clouded at best.

Not sure that either of Campbell or Roughead or players we can rely upon to take the next step.
    As unpopular as it is on this site, I think Boyd is more likely to be the ruckman we need.

Vickery would make us more capable in 2017.
    It's an interesting concept you raise. I tend to think that Boyd has the makings of a very good ruckman and if it wasn't due to the fact he has been paid so much I wonder if more people would hold a similar view.

We need to give him a season as the primary tall forward but maybe somewhere down the track he will be regarded as a both a forward and ruckman.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It's an interesting concept you raise. I tend to think that Boyd has the makings of a very good ruckman and if it wasn't due to the fact he has been paid so much I wonder if more people would hold a similar view.

We need to give him a season as the primary tall forward but maybe somewhere down the track he will be regarded as a both a forward and ruckman.
    That is the key to it G.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to think that Boyd has the makings of a very good ruckman and if it wasn't due to the fact he has been paid so much I wonder if more people would hold a similar view.
    I doubt it. We're a club that's been crying out for a key forward for two decades, we go out and recruit the one that was rated as the best of his generation coming through the TAC cup, then after a handful of games as a 19 year old forward we want to turn him into a ruckman. Most of the good ruckmen in the AFL were late picks or rookies that matured late.

Now there's talk we're chasing a washed up Cloke to give us a key forward target. It's as if this club has a clinical phobia of having a quality young key forward, and we have to turn them into something else. Maybe we just like the narrative that we're always just a quality key forward away from a premiership and just don't have the luck to land one.

5. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Granted Cloke isn't the player he was in 2010, but I don't think he's washed up either .
    There's pros and cons in his recruitment for me

7. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I doubt it. We're a club that's been crying out for a key forward for two decades, we go out and recruit the one that was rated as the best of his generation coming through the TAC cup, then after a handful of games as a 19 year old forward we want to turn him into a ruckman. Most of the good ruckmen in the AFL were late picks or rookies that matured late.

Now there's talk we're chasing a washed up Cloke to give us a key forward target. It's as if this club has a clinical phobia of having a quality young key forward, and we have to turn them into something else. Maybe we just like the narrative that we're always just a quality key forward away from a premiership and just don't have the luck to land one.
    How many games has he played as a genuine tall full forward alone since joining us. Maybe 10? Them how many with decent delivery? Maybe 5? He's a gun forward and as you say a once in a generation player who was by far the best player in his draft year. Rucking him makes no sense. If we don't have good enough rucks, then get Vickery or Witts and allow Boyd to play the position he's dominated all his life. He's not going to get enough game experience to develop as a gun forward if he's contesting ruck contests around the ground. He may get a knee contact injury or do his shoulder again though. For the love of God...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    How many games has he played as a genuine tall full forward alone since joining us. Maybe 10? Them how many with decent delivery? Maybe 5? He's a gun forward and as you say a once in a generation player who was by far the best player in his draft year. Rucking him makes no sense. If we don't have good enough rucks, then get Vickery or Witts and allow Boyd to play the position he's dominated all his life. He's not going to get enough game experience to develop as a gun forward if he's contesting ruck contests around the ground. He may get a knee contact injury or do his shoulder again though. For the love of God...
    I'm not against getting Vickery, it'd be interesting to see how he goes suddenly playing at CHB. Meanwhile we can try to talk Petrie or Jonathon Brown out of retirement to be the key forward we've desperately been needing.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't Vickery already signed locked and loaded with Hawthorn?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

...once in a generation player ...
    I keep hearing this but it simply isn't true.

When I coached in the 18's:

In 2011 Patton was a once in a generation player.
    In 2012 Daniher was a once in a generation player.
    In 2013 Boyd was a once in a generation player. Or maybe it was Hogan who is the same age but was drafted as a 17yo.
    In 2014 McCartin (who is the same age as Hogan) was a once in a generation player.

Maybe I have got the years and dates wrong, but unless our definition of a 'generation' has become 'probably the best tall forward in this years draft'.

Expectations of Boyd are out of control but everyone saying he is a generational talent and 'clearly the best player in his draft class' are not helping.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Dockers ruckman weighing up a fresh start

FREMANTLE free agent Zac Clarke is weighing up whether to extend his career with the Dockers or seek a fresh start at one of several rival clubs pursuing him.

- AFL.com.au can confirm Levi Casboult has agreed to terms with Carlton on a new one-year deal.

- Gold Coast ruckman Tom Nicholls is expected to recommit to the Suns beyond 2016 soon.

- Out-of-contract spearhead Ben Griffiths looks set to remain at Punt Road as his talks with Richmond progress positively.

- Adelaide free agent Ricky Henderson appears increasingly likely to play on with the Crows despite rival interest.

- Melbourne free agent Jack Grimes' future at the club remains up in the air and might not be resolved until Casey's VFL finals campaign is over.

- North Melbourne forward Aaron Black will explore his trade options this October, but remains open to serving out the final season of his existing deal with the Roos.

13. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I'm not against getting Vickery, it'd be interesting to see how he goes suddenly playing at CHB. Meanwhile we can try to talk Petrie or Jonathon Brown out of retirement to be the key forward we've desperately been needing.
    Plugger. We could bring Plugger back.

I'm sure Warwick Capper would be keen. We could have a two pronged attack. And the advantage is we could draft them as late as we liked. Nobody else is likely to.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thread needs more John Butcher.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

16. Likes Templeton31, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Thread needs more John Butcher.
    Hasn't he been delisted yet??
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Hasn't he been delisted yet??
    Yep. Delisted today.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Yep. Delisted today.
    Surprised it took until Tuesday to be honest.