Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  108
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Players On The Market 2016

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. He should've been retired two years ago. He's well and truly cooked.
    Same could be said about Cloke. I guess this is my point. Why are we bothering? We need a ruckman and a key defender..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Same could be said about Cloke. I guess this is my point. Why are we bothering? We need a ruckman and a key defender..
    If he comes cheap, what's the harm? Petrie looked like a 50yo country footballer on the weekend, Cloke was spritely and I wouldn't say he's cooked just yet.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

If he comes cheap, what's the harm?
    Well, in my opinion, he's an unaccountable liability without the footy, he can't cover the ground required of a modern footballer, to do so he'd have to fine down - which would take away his one advantage, which is his bulk. If he does manage to catch the footy (which he plainly struggled to do this year - outside of a game in which he wore an ILLEGAL glove) his kicking for goal is an absolute liability.

I'd recommend we stay disciplined, stay calm and go for age profile and quality. Cloke is as cooked as Petrie.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, in my opinion, he's an unaccountable liability without the footy, he can't cover the ground required of a modern footballer, to do so he'd have to fine down - which would take away his one advantage, which is his bulk. If he does manage to catch the footy (which he plainly struggled to do this year - outside of a game in which he wore an ILLEGAL glove) his kicking for goal is an absolute liability.

I'd recommend we stay disciplined, stay calm and go for age profile and quality. Cloke is as cooked as Petrie.
    I can't agree at all unfortunately. If we land Cloke you might have to cheer for him thinking he's cooked.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Would trust his accuracy for goal around the 50 mark more then 10-30 metres out.
    If we leave him to float around the ark and then Toyd could stay in the 10-30 goal range on a permanent basis.
    I say #getclokey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Ben Lennon seeking more opportunities.

Wouldn't mind enquiring here, think he's had a few injuries which has stifled his development but the talent is there. Uses the ball well and can kick a goal.

Doesn't fit our versatility mantra but he's a solid medium forward option.
    I'd be very interested in Ben Lennon. Didn't he a season or two back hold out on signing a new contract or request to be traded?

I'm also surprised how often Connor Menadue is in and out of there team. I'd be interested in him also.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't agree at all unfortunately. If we land Cloke you might have to cheer for him thinking he's cooked.
    There have been plenty of footballers in red white and blue that I haven't rated over the years. I always cheer them on. No issues there. However I fear that Cloke would leave us all without any hair on our heads.

Cloke is THE WORST set shot for goal of any forward since records have been taken. Statistically, he makes Matthew Richardson look like a Deadeye Dick. In fact, his career accuracy is worse than even Joe Danniher (who surely can't get any worse!) it's below the conversion rate of any key forward you could mention. Check any key forward you can think of. I'll bet you Cloke is statistically proven to be the worst.

This, to me, is a big concern.. Granted, he can get it. However his kicking for goal is certain to cost games.

Having said all of the above, the bloke's clearly tried this year. His tackles per game were well up on previous years. The best they've been since 2010/11. That shows some character - which does not tend to get portrayed in the media. He's also handled the pressure with a fair bit of dignity.

However his contested marks per game were in 2016 literally half what they were in 2011.

Buyer beware. But if we do get him, I hope he plays like a man possessed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I'd be very interested in Ben Lennon. Didn't he a season or two back hold out on signing a new contract or request to be traded?

I'm also surprised how often Connor Menadue is in and out of there team. I'd be interested in him also.
    IIRC Lennon signed a two year contract late last year, after fielding interest from other clubs. They then dropped him from the Elimination Final which was a pretty odd decision at the time. He hasn't really fired a shot this season due to some injury/concussion concerns, and does have a question mark over his work rate/defensive game, but he was a top 10ish pick in 2013 so he's still young. Pity he's contracted.

I think they rate Menadue, but he's going to be a bit of a slow developer (physically). He'll be in their long term plans though.

Post Thanks / Like

There have been plenty of footballers in red white and blue that I haven't rated over the years. I always cheer them on. No issues there. However I fear that Cloke would leave us all without any hair on our heads.

Cloke is THE WORST set shot for goal of any forward since records have been taken. Statistically, he makes Matthew Richardson look like a Deadeye Dick. In fact, his career accuracy is worse than even Joe Danniher (who surely can't get any worse!) it's below the conversion rate of any key forward you could mention. Check any key forward you can think of. I'll bet you Cloke is statistically proven to be the worst.

This, to me, is a big concern.. Granted, he can get it. However his kicking for goal is certain to cost games.

Having said all of the above, the bloke's clearly tried this year. His tackles per game were well up on previous years. The best they've been since 2010/11. That shows some character - which does not tend to get portrayed in the media. He's also handled the pressure with a fair bit of dignity.

However his contested marks per game were in 2016 literally half what they were in 2011.

Buyer beware. But if we do get him, I hope he plays like a man possessed!
    Whilst I share many of your concerns, I think it's a cost vs risk vs reward type of scenario and I would be fairly confident in saying he would play CHF. It means I doubt we see Cloke having too many shots on goal, relatively speaking. We need a leading link up forward.

Cost (cheap, you would assume, in both salary and a draft pick) vs Risk (we get him cheap, he fails, it's not the end of the world) vs Reward (pretty high if he can get back to even 80% of his best/assist TBoyd/provide a leading long target).

Post Thanks / Like

And his brothers play at Spotswood.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And his brothers play at Spotswood.
    Used to, anyway. Spotty have dropped off a bit in recent times. I believe at least one is at Greenvale in the Essendon league.

12. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am 50/50 getting him and share alot of your concerns.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it worth looking at some of the GWS fringe players?

I was thinking specifically Paul Ahern. Pick 7 in the 2014 draft, he is still yet to play a game. Outside player with good skills and a bit of pace, could he come relatively cheaply like Jono O'Rourke did for Hawthorn?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Nathan Brown (Collingwood) still hasn't signed on, and remains an active free agent. Could he be a Hurley replacement? Outside of Morris, he be our biggest and most experienced tall defender. He's shown capable of playing on the blokes that Roberts and others can match it with. Collingwood would also want the FA compo to get into the draft and/or father sons.

Free agents of any interest left are Brown (KPD), Vickery (2nd ruck/forward) & Harvey (mid/forward).

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I ever want another Nathan Brown to play for us
    The curse is dead.

17. Likes bulldogtragic, Twodogs liked this post