Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  108
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Players On The Market 2016

Paul Stewart and Jack Steele are also potentially looking for new opportunities.
    WHE is uncontracted and unable to break into the 22.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

GWS youngsters Caleb Marchbank, Adam Tomlinson, Jack Steele likely to leave in trade period

VICTORIAN clubs are queuing up to poach talented Greater Western Sydney youngsters with as many as six high draft picks set to find new homes in October.

Caleb Marchbank formally requested a trade today, with Carlton the early favourite to snare the key defender.

Utility Adam Tomlinson and impressive midfielder Jack Steele are also strong chances to find new homes, while the futures of Will Hoskin-Elliott and James Stewart are unclear.

Homesick full-forward Cam McCarthy walked out on the Giants before the start of the season and will again seek a trade to Fremantle.

On Thursday night Collingwood emerged as a possible suitor for Tomlinson and the Magpies have already been linked to contracted playmaker Hoskin-Elliott.

The Pies traded in star Adam Treloar from the Giants last year and have since lured their football boss Gubby Allan.

St Kilda heads a long list of clubs hoping to land Canberra product Steele.

The Blues were keen to draft Marchbank in 2014 and long believed he would be available at their first selection, No. 19.

It was expected the Giants would take big man Hugh Goddard at No.6.

But when GWS instead opted for Marchbank, the Blues reached for Blaine Boekhorst and have since tracked Marchbank’s development closely.

The Giants wanted to re-sign Marchbank and recently made a formal presentation outlining why he should stay.

Former GWS list manager Stephen Silvagni crossed to Carlton last year and imported four Giants in one bumper trade deal.

Silvagni then worked feverishly to also add the contracted Tomlinson before deadline.

Carlton coach Brendon Bolton said after last week’s loss to Essendon the Blues would again act aggressively in player movement.

Bolton said the Blues wanted to build depth in every position and did not rule out trading its prized No. 5 draft pick.

Tomlinson, 23, has played 65 games in five years since he was taken at No. 9 in the 2011 draft.

The powerful 193cm runner collected 96 disposals in a fortnight in the reserves mid-season.

He has played every game since Round 16 and is set to feature in the Giants’ inaugural finals campaign.

Steele was taken as an academy selection and has played 17 matches in two seasons.

Foundation Giant Hoskin-Elliott has played 52 games has featured just twice this season.

The No. 4 draft pick is contracted until the end of 2017 but purchased a Yarraville property at the start of the year.

The Giants already hold three first-round selections and will again be flush for draft points as they prepare to induct another star-studded batch of academy talent.

They will secure Harry Perryman, Will Setterfield and Harrison Macreadie at a discounted rate in November’s draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Paul Stewart and Jack Steele are also potentially looking for new opportunities.
    WHE is contracted until 2017. Can't crack a game and has only played a handful of decent games in his career however.

I'd only consider him as a delisted free agent assuming GWS can't get a trade for him and delist him next season.

4. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    WHE is contracted until 2017. Can't crack a game and has only played a handful of decent games in his career however.

I'd only consider him as a delisted free agent assuming GWS can't get a trade for him and delist him next season.
    Is WHE the most overrated player in the competition by fans?

He's played about 4 good games and yet fans (and some of the media) speak about him as being this special, dynamic player. As you said Grey, delisted free agent? Maybe. Trading him in? Pass.

Steele doesn't really excite me, Tomlinson I wouldn't mind (but he's not a KPP), Marchbank will cost too much.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul Stewart isn't an AFL standard player. Good at state league level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Paul Stewart isn't an AFL standard player. Good at state league level.
    Are we talking about Paul Stewart from Port or James Stewart from GWS here?

Coincidentally someone has had a little bit of fun with Paul Stewart's Wiki page (typos and all):

Stewart's was born with a twin brother Rod, a notorious solo rock/pop performer with an unrivalled blonde mullet. He is most notably recogniser for his 1978 hit "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" and for teaching his brother Paul to kick drop punts.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_S...an_footballer)

8. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just throwing this out there. Trade Fletcher Roberts to whomever, for whatever, and use that spot to offer Collingwood's Nathan Brown as a free agent. Maybe even include him in the Cloke trade?

He's got about 10kg extra on Roberts as well as 130 games experience as a full back. With 4 or 5 years of footy still, he could provide an upgrade of like-for-like players and cover the transitional period of Morris retiring, the development of Cordy, Adams & Hamling and having cover for injuries & allow time for Collins to come on.

If it's a good enough offer they get pick 26 which puts them in a good spot for their father/sons.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Just throwing this out there. Trade Fletcher Roberts to whomever, for whatever, and use that spot to offer Collingwood's Nathan Brown as a free agent. Maybe even include him in the Cloke trade?

He's got about 10kg extra on Roberts as well as 130 games experience as a full back. With 4 or 5 years of footy still, he could provide an upgrade of like-for-like players and cover the transitional period of Morris retiring, the development of Cordy, Adams & Hamling and having cover for injuries & allow time for Collins to come on.

If it's a good enough offer they get pick 26 which puts them in a good spot for their father/sons.
    I'm not excited by Brown (either of them) slow, injury prone, and overall just a bit shit. Roberts is no star but I'm not convinced Brown is an upgrade.

11. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Coincidentally someone has had a little bit of fun with Paul Stewart's Wiki page (typos and all):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_S...an_footballer)
    That is gold. Who says that Wikipedia isn't the source of all knowledge. Probably more accurate than any Newscorp publication.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I'm not excited by Brown (either of them) slow, injury prone, and overall just a bit shit. Roberts is no star but I'm not convinced Brown is an upgrade.
    I'm confused, slow, injury prone & just a bit shit. Are you describing Roberts or Brown?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Three clubs head race for Giant Caleb Marchbank

IT APPEARS a race in three for Caleb Marchbank, with Carlton, St Kilda and Essendon circling the wantaway Greater Western Sydney defender

Although other Victorian clubs could now seek to throw their hats in the ring for the defender's services – potentially clubs like the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood, who both made strong but unsuccessful bids for Essendon backman Michael Hurley – it is likely they have left their runs too late.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Three clubs head race for Giant Caleb Marchbank

IT APPEARS a race in three for Caleb Marchbank, with Carlton, St Kilda and Essendon circling the wantaway Greater Western Sydney defender

Although other Victorian clubs could now seek to throw their hats in the ring for the defender's services – potentially clubs like the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood, who both made strong but unsuccessful bids for Essendon backman Michael Hurley – it is likely they have left their runs too late.
    I hate when I have the runs late.

As much as I hate to say it, if St Kilda land him, Carlisle, Goddard & Marchbank give them good height and potential in defence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I hate when I have the runs late.

As much as I hate to say it, if St Kilda land him, Carlisle, Goddard & Marchbank give them good height and potential in defence.
    Essendon are getting thrown into every single out of contract player simply because they have PSD pick 1 - I would imagine signing all of their dopers up to inflated contracts will leave them with precious little salary cap room to move in the next 5 years, so you can discount them as being serious players for O'Meara, Marchbank, etc..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Essendon are getting thrown into every single out of contract player simply because they have PSD pick 1 - I would imagine signing all of their dopers up to inflated contracts will leave them with precious little salary cap room to move in the next 5 years, so you can discount them as being serious players for O'Meara, Marchbank, etc..
    True. If I were their CEO and probably knew I was $4,000,000 over the cap, I'd be thinking what's the harm in going to $6,000,000 over the cap.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean, but I think Brown is at least a solid key defender in that he doesn't get 'smashed' too regularly. Purely a negating defender though.

Actually think Brown would fit OK into our set-up. He's suited to the slow, wrestling gorillas - currently our biggest issue in defense. We have strong mobile/athletic defenders in Adams, Morris, Hamling and Cordy but none of them are suited to taking on the likes of Hawkins, Tippett and to lesser degrees Lynch/Patton.

If he comes for free, we could do worse.

19. Likes bulldogtragic, Greystache liked this post