Post Thanks / Like

The Bulldogs were ordinary premiers

Richmond’s win was great for Tiger fans but troubling for the AFL

AFL
    October 1, 2017 7:55am
    by JAI BEDNALL
    Source: news.com.au

OPINION

THE AFL head honchos sat back with Cheshire cat-like grins during a minor round that featured more shock upsets and nailbiting finishes than any season in recent memory.

But its success in creating an equalised competition was followed by an absolute flop of a finals series where just one of eight games was decided by less than six goals.

Not only did September suck, there is also a distinct feeling among fans not wearing yellow and black (or red, white and blue last season) the AFL has produced two pretty ordinary premiers in the past two seasons.

Richmond, and the Western Bulldogs a year ago, captured the imagination of the footy world with the fairytale runs to the flag. The Tigers’ record rise from 13th on the ladder a season ago was just as unlikely as the Dogs winning from seventh place in 2016.

But will they be remembered as champion sides or just teams that found form at the right time and made the most of advantageous situations?

The Dogs feel like a bit of a flash in the pan after they fell all the way to 10th while trying to defend their premiership. A similar drop by the Tigers would be stunning but its telling they’re viewed as $8 outsiders today to go back-to-back — well behind Adelaide ($4.50), GWS ($4.50) and Sydney ($5.50) in the premiership market.

An even competition keeps fans of all clubs engaged longer during the minor round but it feels like it’s hurting the final product too.

The league doesn’t want a situation like the English Premier League where only a handful of clubs have a sniff each year — or the NBA where the league’s best players are being concentrated at a few locations.

But you also want a grand final product that highlights the very best of your game and a winner that can be celebrated for being a genuinely brilliant football team. It’s debatable whether the Tigers fit this description.

Dustin Martin and Alex Rance are champions in any era and Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt are fine players. But remember when it used to take a midfield of Voss, Akermanis, Black and Lappin or Judd, Cousins and Kerr to win a flag?

In terms of game style, you can hardly argue Richmond’s win was a win for entertaining football either.

It’s a little overblown but coaches often look to the reigning premier when deciding what additions to make to their gameplan over summer.

What’s the lesson from the Tigers? Surround a few stars with a bunch of battlers and just pressure the bejesus out of the opposition.

There’s nothing wrong with contested ball remaining king but a Crows win would have been a win for attacking, high-scoring footy. Instead the grinders won out and the game’s highlight reel was stunningly short.

The game didn’t exactly bode well for players standing 194cm or higher either. There’s always going to be room for one ruckman but if key forwards can’t get a kick on grand final day what’s the point of playing them (and in turn the key defenders that follow them around)?

The biggest winner from season 2017 is probably the coaching fraternity. Hardwick’s ability to move from the hangman’s noose to the premiership dais in less than 12 months will have boards everywhere pulling back their trigger finger when faced with the decision on whether to sack their coaches.

VICTORIAN BIAS? IT’S HARD TO ARGUE WITH THESE NUMBERS

Richmond made it five wins for Victorian sides against interstate opponents in the past five grand finals.

Adelaide joined Sydney (2014, 2016), West Coast (2015), and Fremantle (2014) in failing to fire at the MCG in the big one.

If you want to look back a little further, Sydney — with a 10-point win against Hawthorn in 2012 — is the only interstate team since the great Lions sides of the early 2000s to defeat a Victorian opponent in a grand final.

The AFL is left with a perception problem until this rot ends. It’s telling that its past four premiers all defeated a travelling opponent which finished higher on the ladder.

There’s no doubt Richmond played the ground better than the Crows, who only produced one convincing performance in four games at the home of football in 2017.

There were also plenty of SA-based fans crying of umpiring bias after the game — and while even the most diehard supporters should be able to admit it didn’t have a serious impact on the final result — there’s plenty of coaches out there who talk about the impact a noisy crowd can have on the whistleblowers.

So what’s the solution?

Rotating the grand final Super Bowl-style isn’t going to happen any time soon because the game’s future at the MCG is locked up for another 20 years.

But the powers-that-be need a team from SA, WA, NSW or Queensland to win again soon to silence calls like those that came from retiring Eagle Sam Butler on Saturday.

“I’m looking for equality in the AFL and we haven’t had it ... there’s still that VFL boys club in the back pulling the strings,” Butler told Triple M.

“I’m telling you what, the MCG — fair enough it’s the biggest stadium in Australia, but why do we have to have the grand final there every year? Tell me one reason ...

“Rotate it. Do it per capita on how many teams are there, so half the teams are in Melbourne, you should have half the grand finals in Melbourne. You’ve got two teams in Perth ... they should have two every 18 years.”

If anyone disagrees with Jai, his twitter handle is @jaibednall

Yes, he's a South Australian

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Bulldogs were ordinary premiers

Read this earlier. I found Butler's comments particularly amusing/ridiculous. He asks for one reason why the MCG is used for the grand final every year, whilst acknowledging it is the biggest stadium - answering his own question in the process.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I think i found Greg Baum's article equally as dismissive of our win last year.
    http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-gra...30-gyrv8h.html

Post Thanks / Like

It is like being the poorest billionaire. Who cares?

5. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    It is like being the poorest billionaire. Who cares?
    I care.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I care.
    Do you care about journos thinking that or what we are actually what they say we are?

I think the comp is as open as ever in terms of winning a premiership. We won, the semantics and objective manner of comparing premiers is banal to me.

Either way we will see how good we are era wise in the next year or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Do you care about journos thinking that or what we are actually what they say we are?

I think the comp is as open as ever in terms of winning a premiership. We won, the semantics and objective manner of comparing premiers is banal to me.

Either way we will see how good we are era wise in the next year or so.
    You have me wrong, I care what you all think of me as the poorest billionaire.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I am not going to go through all the problems and records we broke last year, we all know them and no other club had faced those hurdles in the history of the AFL and won it, I think they left out the EXTR on the front of ordinary in the headline.
    Richmond followed our lead with small forwards, won it from 4 th and had no injuries !
    I'm not sure how anything compares to our premiership and truely believe that is why the crowds came back in droves due to such a huge finals run and hope we gave to every other team in the competition.
    But we won't mention that and make up some crap story that has no facts to belittle a small club that defied the big clubs and they are jealous.
    Bring back the biff

10. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I think i found Greg Baum's article equally as dismissive of our win last year.
    http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-gra...30-gyrv8h.html
    I tweeted him and told him he missed one important piece in regards to the Bulldogs and Richmond's years. We won the premiership in the VFL too the same year. Richmond didn't. One up to the Bulldogs.

Post Thanks / Like

So 2 years after a 3 peat there's a complaint that there are no more extraordinary teams? Goldfish journalism I think

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I tweeted him and told him he missed one important piece in regards to the Bulldogs and Richmond's years. We won the premiership in the VFL too the same year. Richmond didn't. One up to the Bulldogs.
    I hope Bevo pulls that article out for the players to read and fire up on.
    Bring back the biff

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This from Greg Baum did annoy me-

"The monkey on the 2016 Bulldogs' back was older, but Richmond's was bigger, as the club is bigger"

It is constantly dismissed that we won four finals, two interstate, one against a triple premiership winning team. We did this even though our long term injuries, including to a captain, were appalling, and with a young list who should have found it even harder to win four gruelling finals.

Honestly, it is still extraordinarily hard to win a flag. Look at our struggles in 08-10, where being a top four team playing at the G each week we still couldn't grab a flag. Ok, don't look at it, those missed opportunities still hurt, but please just respect that our achievement last year was monumental, the Tigers is too but in different ways, instead of grinding all the joy and magic out of everything!!!
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

16. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    This from Greg Baum did annoy me-

"The monkey on the 2016 Bulldogs' back was older, but Richmond's was bigger, as the club is bigger"

It is constantly dismissed that we won four finals, two interstate, one against a triple premiership winning team. We did this even though our long term injuries, including to a captain, were appalling, and with a young list who should have found it even harder to win four gruelling finals.

Honestly, it is still extraordinarily hard to win a flag. Look at our struggles in 08-10, where being a top four team playing at the G each week we still couldn't grab a flag. Ok, don't look at it, those missed opportunities still hurt, but please just respect that our achievement last year was monumental, the Tigers is too but in different ways, instead of grinding all the joy and magic out of everything!!!
    Quite funny how the journos bought up everything we did and how amazing it was but this year completely ignore and forget it.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    So 2 years after a 3 peat there's a complaint that there are no more extraordinary teams? Goldfish journalism I think
    I think his point is that a non Victorian team should now be allowed to have a threepeat (you know. Like Brisbane did) or it's not fair and we will make the baby Jesus cry.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

The two so called journo's have just shown the world how little they actually know about AFL. They have honestly no idea what they are talking about. They are clearly insignificant in the world of journalism and have tried to get some attention.