Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  157
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Travis Cloke

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    The more I read about Travis Cloke the more upbeat I feel about him joining us - it just makes a lot of sense, especially with Big Jack out until very late in the season. If Tom Campbell continues to come on he and Roughie could share ruck duties allowing Tom Boyd to play forward. Travis has a pretty good tank and his tackling is excellent. Zaine Cordy, a crunching tackler, could slot in down back placing a lot of pressure on our defenders to get a spot in the line up as Marcus Adams will be back too. We have a lot of problems to nut out at selection.
    I don't think we can play 2 ruckman if we have Boyd, Crameri, Cloke and Stringer up forward because one of those ruckman also need to be used up forward.

I think we need to accept that Tom Boyd is a forward who needs to spend a fair bit of time in the ruck and that we will go into almost all games with one ruckman.

Back to Cloke, he has plenty of motivation to push himself hard over the summer and despite his highly regarded status as a key forward with the Pies he will have to earn a spot up forward with us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Stringer and Crameri don't play tall.

Can Roughie rest down back on their ruck? I remember Bevo saying numerous times last year that we'll play tall meaning Camhead Red and Boyd.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I almost can't believe the photos of Travis at training today. He's slimmed down incredibly from when I saw him this year and is also still ripped muscle wise in the arms and legs. He looks like a very tall midfielder, and hopefully his training KPFs with running, sprints and repeat efforts match the photos. It's hard not to get excited by what's he's been able to do already, let alone getting him for nothing and paying him minimum wage. I can't wait to see exactly how Bevo & Hansen are going to use him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I almost can't believe the photos of Travis at training today. He's slimmed down incredibly from when I saw him this year and is also still ripped muscle wise in the arms and legs. He looks like a very tall midfielder, and hopefully his training KPFs with running, sprints and repeat efforts match the photos. It's hard not to get excited by what's he's been able to do already, let alone getting him for nothing and paying him minimum wage. I can't wait to see exactly how Bevo & Hansen are going to use him.
    Massive tank. I can see Bevo turning him into a highly mobile Nick Riewoldt-type rather than the goal square monster he's been over the better part of his career.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Massive tank. I can see Bevo turning him into a highly mobile Nick Riewoldt-type rather than the goal square monster he's been over the better part of his career.
    Yep, my guess is seeing a player like Matty Richardson (in last couple of years) or Sooky this year as you say. From memory Richo gave the Brownlow a real shake after his move up to the wing/high half forward, and still kicked enough goals. If we can get something like that added into the premiership player mix then that's a lovely dollop of cream on top.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, my guess is seeing a player like Matty Richardson (in last couple of years) or Sooky this year as you say. From memory Richo gave the Brownlow a real shake after his move up to the wing/high half forward, and still kicked enough goals. If we can get something like that added into the premiership player mix then that's a lovely dollop of cream on top.
    Agreed. He has the potential to be a serious target, something we did lack at times although clearly we found other ways. A Cloke with confidence could make it easier for us. The other massive dynamic in out favour is Crameri. Those two players give us scope to crush our enemies in half a quarter of footy.

Would love to be unbeatable, a Brisbane / Geelong / Hawthorn-like dynasty with 3 or 4 cups locked away would be epic.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. He has the potential to be a serious target, something we did lack at times although clearly we found other ways. A Cloke with confidence could make it easier for us. The other massive dynamic in out favour is Crameri. Those two players give us scope to crush our enemies in half a quarter of footy.

Would love to be unbeatable, a Brisbane / Geelong / Hawthorn-like dynasty with 3 or 4 cups locked away would be epic.
    And a dynasty is on the cards too if we play to our potential. Crameri, Picken & Cloke could have another 3 years of decent footy. Morris might have another one after 2017. I don't think Boyd & Bob go passed 2017. Our young guns hit their peaks and kids come up and surprise and add in a couple of free agents or trades. Never been a greater time to be a member.

Post Thanks / Like

And a dynasty is on the cards too if we play to our potential. Crameri, Picken & Cloke could have another 3 years of decent footy. Morris might have another one after 2017. I don't think Boyd & Bob go passed 2017. Our young guns hit their peaks and kids come up and surprise and add in a couple of free agents or trades. Never been a greater time to be a member.
    Agreed. Its not a window it's a wormhole to another reality.

12. Likes bulldogtragic, N/A, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep I'm pretty sure he finished 3rd behind Cooney and GAJ in 2008.

If we get a third of that from Cloke we've done exceptionally well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Yep I'm pretty sure he finished 3rd behind Cooney and GAJ in 2008.

If we get a third of that from Cloke we've done exceptionally well.
    And if we do, everyone (including the media) have got to think why didn't Buckley want to encourage and facilitate this change in his game?

Post Thanks / Like

And if we do, everyone (including the media) have got to think why didn't Buckley want to encourage and facilitate this change in his game?
    Collingwood missing out and Cloke having a good year would be the end of Bucks from a coaching and people management perspective.

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm very, very tempted to have a "Travis Cloke will kick more goals than Chris Mayne" bet with a good mate of mine who is a Collingwood supporter.

18. Likes bulldogtragic, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crameri running up one side of the ground and Cloke the other. Two targets for the guys coming out of defence.

Collingwood missing out and Cloke having a good year would be the end of Bucks from a coaching and people management perspective.
    They'll blame it all on Neil Balme and Gubby Allen. And they took decisive action. Neil has been moved on from his position and his replacement has already been suspended.

I'm very, very tempted to have a "Travis Cloke will kick more goals than Chris Mayne" bet with a good mate of mine who is a Collingwood supporter.
    Take it for sure.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

21. Likes Doggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you're mate will be wanting to Cash Out WD after Round 1!!