Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  157
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Travis Cloke

Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    Yesterday XMAS training:
    Thanks so much for putting up these great pics chocomientay, very much appreciated. Trav's looking in great shape.

I'm dreaming of a moment where Trav kicks 5 straight in a Dogs trouncing against the Pies in our Round 1 encounter just to listen to the ferals unleash to Finey in the post match talk back.

2. Thanks choconmientay thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still a massive unit
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Still a massive unit
    And warranting a good defender who is tall, strong and a great runner. I'm sure most of the other forwards will love him for domino-ing a lesser defender to them.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

For those who have seen him at training, I'd love to know but am a bit scared to ask but how's his kicking?
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

He did a bit of goal kicking practice which was a bit better than 50/50.
    It was funny hearing the crowd cheer every time one went through!

7. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

50 /50 is about standard for him I would think. I hope he can get better than that at training with zero pressure.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we need to play Cloke deep all the time. Do we?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I don't think we need to play Cloke deep all the time. Do we?
    Not for me. He could play a variety of roles looking at his new playing weight/size. If Boyd has to ruck and Roughy is off, then Cloke can be the long target. When Boyd is forward, Cloke can roam and become a key link man in scoring chains, or as Hunter said, he can be the long bail out target coming out of defence. With Bevo's attitude to rucks, at his size and weight, Cloke could even play second or third ruck depending on match ups and what's happening within the game. He can also use his height, weight and experience to try to take out the Gibson/McGovern types and bring the ball to ground. He's a big wildcard for what we want in 2017 and he'll generate opportunities for him to have shots on goal, and we knew he's got some flaws in goal kicking. But it's the overall package for all the things above as well as taking a good defender and letting Crameri, Stringer, Dickson and anyone else having a lesser defender and a good match up to exploit. Plus his team mates rave about him already, he's got a great attitude, he's come to training slimmed and hitting the track hard, and he's going to be a very, very valuable and enthusiastic mentor to all the tall forwards we drafted. Training with a bloke whose played over 200 games, kicked over 400 goals, has great knowledge to impart about leading and using your body, and who knows pressure and scrutiny and how to deal with it, and has been AA, club leading goal kicker and has a premiership medallion will be great for all our young tall forwards. And he's on the record as coming to the club to reinvent himself, prove to everyone he's got great footy left in him, work hard and to help Tom Boyd with his forward craft and dealing with unfair media. All at the same time throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars away and turning his back on a big club just to be a Bulldog (for a draft pick we wouldn't have used anyway). There's just so much to like on so many different levels about Trav and what he's brining to the club. So to answer your question, I don't think he needs to play deep all the time.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Thanks 1eyedog, merantau, N/A, Smads57 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

CHF .. He gets it a bit when he runs around is given space and looked for . I think Collingwood didn't look for him in the end .. Hard to do anything if your teammates don't use you.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I'm very, very tempted to have a "Travis Cloke will kick more goals than Chris Mayne" bet with a good mate of mine who is a Collingwood supporter.
    Definitely get on that.

Post Thanks / Like

I was skeptical at first but I'm now a believer. Recruiting Travis makes a lot of sense. Jack Redpath will not be available for some time. We could do with a big-bodied guy to draw some of the heat away from Stringer, Crameri and co. He's versatile and can kick goals from outside 50. And he has something to prove.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Not for me. He could play a variety of roles looking at his new playing weight/size. If Boyd has to ruck and Roughy is off, then Cloke can be the long target. When Boyd is forward, Cloke can roam and become a key link man in scoring chains, or as Hunter said, he can be the long bail out target coming out of defence. With Bevo's attitude to rucks, at his size and weight, Cloke could even play second or third ruck depending on match ups and what's happening within the game. He can also use his height, weight and experience to try to take out the Gibson/McGovern types and bring the ball to ground. He's a big wildcard for what we want in 2017 and he'll generate opportunities for him to have shots on goal, and we knew he's got some flaws in goal kicking. But it's the overall package for all the things above as well as taking a good defender and letting Crameri, Stringer, Dickson and anyone else having a lesser defender and a good match up to exploit. Plus his team mates rave about him already, he's got a great attitude, he's come to training slimmed and hitting the track hard, and he's going to be a very, very valuable and enthusiastic mentor to all the tall forwards we drafted. Training with a bloke whose played over 200 games, kicked over 400 goals, has great knowledge to impart about leading and using your body, and who knows pressure and scrutiny and how to deal with it, and has been AA, club leading goal kicker and has a premiership medallion will be great for all our young tall forwards. And he's on the record as coming to the club to reinvent himself, prove to everyone he's got great footy left in him, work hard and to help Tom Boyd with his forward craft and dealing with unfair media. All at the same time throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars away and turning his back on a big club just to be a Bulldog (for a draft pick we wouldn't have used anyway). There's just so much to like on so many different levels about Trav and what he's brining to the club. So to answer your question, I don't think he needs to play deep all the time.
    Nailed it .
    Great post BT.

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Foxsports 2017 prediction ...

and they have this to say:

TOM BOYD WILL HAVE A BREAKOUT SEASON, CLOKE WON’T SECURE A SPOT

THINK of this as a little bit of history repeating.

Back in 2011, Tom Hawkins arguably played the best game of his career in the Cats’ grand final victory over Collingwood, with a commanding three goal and 19 disposal performance. The next year he kicked 62 goals.

Expect a similar thing from grand final hero Tom Boyd next season. His near best on ground performance against the Swans signalled the No. 1 draft pick’s arrival.

And don’t expect Travis Cloke to find it easy to cement a spot in the Bulldogs’ best 22 with Boyd on fire. The return of the suspended Stewart Crameri will only add an extra layer of difficulty for the former Magpie.
    Can't wait for the season to start and for Cloke to prove them wrong Certainly it won't be easy to establish a spot in the best 22 as there will be a lot of heat to compete for spots.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Same people were saying Boyd would be traded 4 months ago. Hard to take these muppets seriously.

19. Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Same people were saying Boyd would be traded 4 months ago. Hard to take these muppets seriously.
    Yep. Not to mention Boyd, Crameri & Cloke play different roles and are necessarily competing for the same spots up forward.