Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  157
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Travis Cloke

TRAVIS Cloke is all but certain to join the Western Bulldogs in October's trade period on a two-year deal.

Cloke, 29, has been strongly linked to the Bulldogs in recent weeks after falling out of favour at Collingwood in 2016, when he was dropped three times and kicked just 17 goals from 13 games.

Although Cloke cannot officially join the Bulldogs until the trade period opens, AFL.com.au has confirmed the spearhead has settled on the Whitten Oval as his preferred new home and agreed on the essential terms of a deal for the 2017 and 2018 seasons.

Cloke was contracted to the Magpies until the end of 2017 and was set to earn about $450,000 next season.

However, the 196cm forward will take a significant pay cut to extend his career at the Bulldogs, who will have to broker a trade with Collingwood to get their man.

However, the Pies are not expected to stand in Cloke's way, having committed to structuring their forward line around exciting young tall Darcy Moore.

Collingwood could be prepared to accept as little as a third-round draft pick, while it has also been linked to fringe Bulldogs midfielder Lin Jong.

The Bulldogs' bid for Cloke comes in the wake of Jack Redpath's likely absence for most of 2017 after a knee reconstruction.

With young tall Tom Boyd still finding his way at AFL level, Cloke will give Luke Beveridge an experienced big-bodied target in attack.

Cloke asked to be released from the final year of his contract with Collingwood in late August.

"All at Collingwood respect Travis’ right to explore his options and acknowledge his 12 years of exceptional senior service," the club said at the time.

Cloke kicked 441 games in 246 games at Collingwood from 2005-16 and won the club's best and fairest award in 2007.

A member of the 2010 premiership team, he lead the Magpies' goalkicking from 2011-14 and was an All Australian in 2011 and 2013.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently he kicked 441 games. Can't say I knew that

4. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I was not 100% sold on the idea of Cloke in a Bulldog jumper but I suppose I'd have to get used to it. I'd much prefer Josh Kennedy (WC) wanting to come to the dogs but you can't always get what you want (you have to sing the last bit like Mick Jagger).

If Cloke can kick 30, Stringer 50, Dickson 40 odd and Crameri 35 plus the usual others chipping in, I'd probably take that.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Always rated him very highly

Post Thanks / Like

Always had a bit of a soft spot for old Travey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Well I was not 100% sold on the idea of Cloke in a Bulldog jumper but I suppose I'd have to get used to it. I'd much prefer Josh Kennedy (WC) wanting to come to the dogs but you can't always get what you want (you have to sing the last bit like Mick Jagger).

If Cloke can kick 30, Stringer 50, Dickson 40 odd and Crameri 35 plus the usual others chipping in, I'd probably take that.
    Actually already was singing it like Mick when I first read your post. I think Cloke is a good move. Keep him between 40 -80 m out roaming the ground. Will be hard to contain out there and no missed goals just delivering into the 50. Has a beautiful field kick

Post Thanks / Like

441 goals, 360 behinds. Here's hoping he can find the goals more times.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Anyway of finding out what his goal kicking accuracy is at Etihad?

I know Collingwood don't play there that often but over his career the sample size must be big enough to gauge his form under the roof.

Just found it 58 Goals 38 Behinds in 38 games. Not that good.
    Last edited by craigsahibee; 16-09-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Statistical illumination
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Anyway of finding out what his goal kicking accuracy is at Etihad?

I know Collingwood don't play there that often but over his career the sample size must be big enough to gauge his form under the roof.

Just found it 58 Goals 38 Behinds in 38 games. Not that good.
    Better than his career average, at Etihad.

Post Thanks / Like

1.5 goals & 1 behind a game.

We have 9 home games at Etihad. Possibly another 3 from opposition teams. So 12 games on his Etihad average is 18 goals from his Etihad games. If he gets his career average of 1.8 from other venues over 10 games, that's 36 goals from him (Plus finals if he plays all year).

Add in Crameri's 35 goals that's 70 goals (or 420 more points for) more potent potentially next year. Leaving aside that Stringer & Dickson should also kick more. These extra points jump our percentage this year with Hawthorn & North into the level of GWS, Sydney, Adelaide & Geelong from this year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    1.5 goals & 1 behind a game.

We have 9 home games at Etihad. Possibly another 3 from opposition teams. So 12 games on his Etihad average is 18 goals from his Etihad games. If he gets his career average of 1.8 from other venues over 10 games, that's 36 goals from him (Plus finals if he plays all year).

Add in Crameri's 35 goals that's 70 goals (or 420 more points for) more potent potentially next year. Leaving aside that Stringer & Dickson should also kick more. These extra points jump our percentage this year with Hawthorn & North into the level of GWS, Sydney, Adelaide & Geelong from this year.
    Yes BT and if we can compare him to Cordy playing in the forward line at the moment, admittedly as a defensive forward, Cloke is far superior as a forward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yes BT and if we can compare him to Cordy playing in the forward line at the moment, admittedly as a defensive forward, Cloke is far superior as a forward
    Very true, and throughout the year we've played an inside midfielder as a forward with little return. Replacing that player with Crameri is another huge gain. You can see that Trav's trajectory has gone down under Buckley along with others. Nick Maxwell is on the record about Buckley's style not being good for some guys, especially Cloke. He needs a hands on, supportive, motivating coach that he wants to play for (like he did with Mick) and I reckon Bevo is absolutely perfect for him.

Post Thanks / Like

From The Age a few days ago:

- Collingwood may be content with a fourth rounder.
    - Cloke, who had one year to run on his contract, will have a restructured deal. The Dogs will give him a two-year contract and he is likely to earn less than $200,000 a season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    From The Age a few days ago:

- Collingwood may be content with a fourth rounder.
    - Cloke, who had one year to run on his contract, will have a restructured deal. The Dogs will give him a two-year contract and he is likely to earn less than $200,000 a season.
    The big sticking point for a trade with Collingwood would more than likely have been them paying part of his salary.

With that out of the way, and given how little senior football he played, I can't see them making outlandish demands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The big sticking point for a trade with Collingwood would more than likely have been them paying part of his salary.

With that out of the way, and given how little senior football he played, I can't see them making outlandish demands.
    They're rumoured to in about $800,000-900,000 a season in free agents (Wells & Mayne). They can't get them without getting Cloke off the books. This is one of those good faith trades (pick 59, 5 picks outside the 3rd round) for both clubs and long time player.