Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  157
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Travis Cloke

If Cloke is freeing up that much space in their salary cap then they should look after him.

I'm upbeat about this and hoping it was mainly a bad relationship with Buckley that eventually became unworkable at Collingwood. There's a lot of upside in this for us if Cloke can get back to playing that hard running game he was playing then along with Crameri we could expect 70 goals between them into our score next year.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He knows how pick a good thing like Suckling & Tom Boyd.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The reports indicated that Cloke's final year was worth $450,000. And Connors today said that Cloke is willing to rip that up and take a more than 50% pay cut only if he ends up at the Dogs. All but confirming the rumours of him being paid around the $180,000 a year. Which isn't that much more than minimum wage higher draftees.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The reports indicated that Cloke's final year was worth $450,000. And Connors today said that Cloke is willing to rip that up and take a more than 50% pay cut only if he ends up at the Dogs. All but confirming the rumours of him being paid around the $180,000 a year. Which isn't that much more than minimum wage higher draftees.
    Perfect timing for us to get him in.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Perfect timing for us to get him in.
    Collingwood have to get the paperwork in as soon as they can. They can't ink Wells & Mayne officially until he's off their books. You'd think it'd be the first official trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Collingwood have to get the paperwork in as soon as they can. They can't ink Wells & Mayne officially until he's off their books. You'd think it'd be the first official trade.
    Despite the professional-level breakdown between Bucks and Cloke they remain good mates and I doubt anyone at the club will stand in the way of this one going through ASAP. Cloke playing in an awesome team with a coach that gives lots of cuddles gives me a lot of hope that he will make a strong contribution next year. He marks, has a penetrating kick, runs all day, crunches packs and takes the very top shelf opposition defender. That benefits Boyd, Stringer and Crameri immensely.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not 100% sold on Cloke.
    But if Bevo is I'm a believer.

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Despite the professional-level breakdown between Bucks and Cloke they remain good mates and I doubt anyone at the club will stand in the way of this one going through ASAP. Cloke playing in an awesome team with a coach that gives lots of cuddles gives me a lot of hope that he will make a strong contribution next year. He marks, has a penetrating kick, runs all day, crunches packs and takes the very top shelf opposition defender. That benefits Boyd, Stringer and Crameri immensely.
    I was thinking about it today. If Cloke starts well, you have to put your best defender on him. But then who do you take him off? Boyd or Stringer? Then what if they get off the chain? So busy putting those fires out that Crameri & Dickson get much lesser defenders and attention. It's a big flow on effect. I'd like to see him in the preseason tried off the wing like Richardson's last couple of years and Riewoldtbthis year. He's a gut runner whose still doing north of 15km as a CHF. If he can be a big body, huge runner and great contested marker that's a very interesting proposition and we know Bevo demands flexibility, so I doubt we are taking him on with only one position in mind. There's just so much potential reward and minimum wage and the last spot on the list means very little risk. Like you, I think in the right environment, coach and our tailored approach to motivation/preparation (unlike Buckley) then he's got good footy in him. That he's prepared to back himself in at our club and turning down hundreds of thousands of dollars tells me that he's coming motivated and for the right reasons. I look forward to see what he can do with us.

11. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo will make him full back
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

13. Likes Ghost Dog, strebla, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Bevo will make him full back
    Premiership Full Back Travis Cloke

Has a ring to it!!

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if this signals a tactical change. With forward targets like Boyd, Crameri, Stringer, Cloke, Redpath I'd expect precision kicks inside 50 for the mark as opposed to the tactic of high ball to the square to bring it down for the crumbers?

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    I wonder if this signals a tactical change. With forward targets like Boyd, Crameri, Stringer, Cloke, Redpath I'd expect precision kicks inside 50 for the mark as opposed to the tactic of high ball to the square to bring it down for the crumbers?
    Yeah all about moulding your game plan to best suit your list. The concept of copying the premiers game plan is a joke, just ask Richmond.

Post Thanks / Like

The trade sounds good in theory, Anyone have any thoughts on how he will fit into our culture ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    The trade sounds good in theory, Anyone have any thoughts on how he will fit into our culture ?
    From all reports Travis is a great guy

Post Thanks / Like

4th rounder and $200K? cheap as chips - worst case scenario is depth that we dont end up using.

Boyd does a knee...? Then we will be very glad we got him on the list.