Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge on Talkin Footy Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Did he ever actually finish telling the story of the snow button? I think he was implying it was a sense of comfort for him knowing it was there but never actually knowing what it was actually supposed to do
    No one at my table on the night thought he actually made the point of the reference
    I've never heard the first part of the story. Do you care to share with the rest of the class?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance of one of the three ex-players doing the interview asking the coach about, y'know, football?

How did you think he went last night? I didn't understand the whole 'atrial foci' comment mind you I never got his 'snow button' comment at the season launch
    I think the phrase he muttered was 'ulterior focii', as in players having meaningful things in their lives other than just football.

He looks a vaguely world weary man who keeps his cards close to his chest. Life's less glamorous when you're not winning flags.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

3. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He got to a conference in the US a couple of days early and decided to drive down from where he was staying to attend a Gridiron game.
    He asked the hire car company what sort of car he need because of the snow and they said don't worry the car has a snow button

In amongst a number of observation he then described details of the trip there and back making reference to the snow button.
    I never quite got the point of the story but it was interesting
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He got to a conference in the US a couple of days early and decided to drive down from where he was staying to attend a Gridiron game.
    He asked the hire car company what sort of car he need because of the snow and they said don't worry the car has a snow button

In amongst a number of observation he then described details of the trip there and back making reference to the snow button.
    Maybe it's a private joke, like Australians telling tourists to watch out for dropbears and getting them to walk around holding a stick over their heads?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

So...I thought he was great.

Yes - he plays (played??) his cards close, but given some of his trials and travails with the media (I'm pretty sure he remembers all too well the negative media commentary about his 'black soul' comments during the Boyd retirement presser) is anyone surprised?

As someone else said, life isn't quite so much fun when you are stuck down the bottom of the ladder and the subject of a fair bit (some would say not enough but that's another story) of criticism.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

7. Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    So...I thought he was great.

Yes - he plays (played??) his cards close, but given some of his trials and travails with the media (I'm pretty sure he remembers all too well the negative media commentary about his 'black soul' comments during the Boyd retirement presser) is anyone surprised?

As someone else said, life isn't quite so much fun when you are stuck down the bottom of the ladder and the subject of a fair bit (some would say not enough but that's another story) of criticism.
    Darcy was one of the guys that interviewed him for the role, Carey a light weight, Warner is fair and Watson would never take him on so I'm not sure he should have felt anything other than comfortable talking to them. I just thought it lacked any sort of flow

I'm at a club dinner tonight, hopefully we will see a more relaxed side of him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I've never heard the first part of the story. Do you care to share with the rest of the class?
    Watch/listen to his speech here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

On twitter, supporters were encouraged to put forward any questions they wished to ask Bevo, and I am pretty sure they used some of those.

My question was on runners and what his opinion was now that we have had 12 games with limited access to them. The panel did ask about runners but more in relation to Saturday's game and how he could have influenced the game more, especially in that 3rd quarter.

Overall, I felt Bevo looked more relaxed than the last few weeks when we lost games.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He fielded all of two questions about the way we're playing our footy, both from social media, albeit tacked onto the tail end of the segment before they wrapped up with no opportunity to delve further.

They should've let the punters interview him from go to whoah rather than the same hoary old questions about so Bevo, how's it feel to win a flag then fall off a cliff? He's visibly tired of the narrative. Who isn't? It's 2019.

Given both socmed questions zeroed in on on-field matters, there's also clearly an appetite for a bit more insight into how we're going, selection and match-day decisions, etc.

I get we play a much straighter bat with media relations post-flag, Bevo's an emotional bloke and rightly protective of his mob, but while we're less forthcoming with the fourth estate you feel the supporters are also left a little in the dark as a consequence.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I read 'socmed' as Scomo'd... Still in election hangover!

Post Thanks / Like

He asked the hire car company if he needed chains because of the snow and they said don't worry the car has a snow button

My understanding was he's in Colorado, driving in the snow. Rental car has a snow button. He trusts the snow button without really understanding what it does. On the return leg he sees a car accident and says to himself no snow button. He then uses this as a parable for the team; the snow button is the underlying framework in place that he trusts implicitly... Structures, systems, support staff et al. That was my take at the time. Granted I'd had some of the complimentary beverages (no pun intended). Maybe we should try to get some clarification at function tonight (player sponsors dinner).

14. Thanks Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Oh we've been Scomo'd alright.

Another thing I can blame the bastard for.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Don't mention the war

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    My understanding was he's in Colorado, driving in the snow. Rental car has a snow button. He trusts the snow button without really understanding what it does. On the return leg he sees a car accident and says to himself no snow button. He then uses this as a parable for the team; the snow button is the underlying framework in place that he trusts implicitly... Structures, systems, support staff et al. That was my take at the time. Granted I'd had some of the complimentary beverages (no pun intended). Maybe we should try to get some clarification at function tonight (player sponsors dinner).
    That is spot on and perhaps its a bit ironic and as if a snow button is going to save you, not ? so like a joke. He liked his hammer after the Marvel round, so he likes his images, symbols, talismans or is that talismen? (It is talismans).

18. Likes Grantysghost liked this post