Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard Dog Smith just wants to 'crash around'

Link

RUNNING into Eagle Will Schofield at full speed without a mouthguard is tempting a dental nightmare, but not for hard-as-nails Bulldog Clay Smith.

Smith fearlessly ran back with the flight of the ball during the Dogs' stunning 48-point elimination final win at Domain Stadium last Thursday, colliding with the West Coast defender in a typically couraguous act and taking the full brunt of the burley Eagle, despite being underprepared for such a heavy collision.

Mega-preview: Second semi-final, Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs

"I turned around and saw him running straight at me and I was like 'I can't pull out now'," Smith said on Tuesday.

"I actually spewed up at half-time (because) I didn't put my mouth guard in for two minutes and got a nice fat lip from it.

“I put (the mouth guard) straight back in after that, but pulled up sweet."

Coach Luke Beveridge speaks glowingly about a player "opponents hear coming" and the physical pressure the midfielder applies.

For a player who suffered three knee reconstructions in as many years, Smith will take a minor wound any day of the week if it keeps him away from the countless rehab sessions he endured in the past.

Having played 10 games straight in his return from his latest mishap, the 23-year-old appears to have found some long overdue luck and has settled into attack as a defensive forward.

The Bairnsdale product's average of seven tackles and a goal a game this season has seen him become an integral part of the Dogs' premiership push.

"You tend to forget (the knee injuries) pretty quick and it's probably a good thing to forget," he said.

"I think you've just got to play to your strengths, and (physical pressure) is an area I think I can help the team out.

"If I can put my body in there, crash around and knock a few blokes over, then that's what I want to do."

And Smith will get the perfect opportunity to exhibit his combative nature when the Dogs come up against a battle-hardened Hawthorn side on the rebound in Friday night's do-or-die semi-final.

"I think both sides will go out pretty hard because finals are pretty much a contested game of footy and it will be one area of the game we hopefully come out on top," Smith said.

"They're a good side and I'm sure they'll bring the heat after the loss on the weekend.

'It will be a good battle."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hard Dog Smith just wants to 'crash around'

Put him on Hodge.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hard Dog Smith just wants to 'crash around'

Clay is a great weapon to have in our forward line....or anywhere for that matter.