Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stewart Crameri’s return another example of why Western Bulldogs can end Hawthorn reign

Link

IT was the hijacked team meeting that provided another example of why the Western Bulldogs can end Hawthorn’s extraordinary reign of dominance.

A season plagued by bad luck has fuelled a camaraderie that has helped carry the Dogs into a semi-final. Thursday, that mateship took over a meeting 36 hours before their biggest game of the year.

As thousands of fans descended on the kennel for their boys’ final training session, behind closed doors Jake Stringer stood up suddenly to address his teammates.

Stringer told the team that Stewart Crameri was absent despite his anticipated return to the club after serving a 12-month ASADA ban. But they had prepared a video, Stringer said, which they might as well play.

Someone flicked the lights and the players giggled as they watched Crameri’s head superimposed on a wrestler’s body.

But when Crameri entered the room seconds later — arms raised to thumping WWE music — hilarity ensued.

“‘Crammers’ just walked in to a come-out song like it was WWE,” coach Luke Beveridge said.

“It was amazing, a bit of drama. We’ve all really missed him so it can only be positive, injecting a young lad of great character, back into our club.”

With Crameri too nervous to speak, Robert Murphy takes the floor to present the returning forward with the polka dot jersey — the side’s “super domestique” of the week as hardest worker — to wear for his first official training session back.

The players run out onto a Whitten Oval in the grip of that unmistakeable finals fever.

The same half dozen cars circle the same car park looking for the same spots that won’t exist for the next two hours, the coffee line at the normally quiet Barkers Cafe is stretching towards the front door and the merchandise shop is selling out of stuff that’s been on the shelf for months.

Yep, it’s definitely finals time.

Francis and Amanda Butcher are confident.

“I really think we can win this. I think we’ve got their measure,” Francis said.

Glenn Johnson and his 18-month old daughter Adeline are sitting inside at table No.3 — arguably the most famous number in the club’s history.

“I certainly believe,” Glenn said.

“There’s been a lot of heartache, but all the adversity they’ve overcome this year has been amazing.”

Margaret Jennings has her scarf adorned with badges of Chris Grant (”The most amazing, magnificent human being ever put on this earth”), Lin Jong, Marcus Bontempelli and Caleb Daniel.

“Everything associated with this club I’m proud of — the committee, coaches and the players,” Margaret said.

“The players’ endeavour and application. They give their everything.”

Behind them, at the back of the cafe, a tribute message board is filling up quick.

“This is our year”, “So damn proud” and “Believe” adorn the walls.

Beveridge certainly believes. He strides into his press conference a picture of composure and calm in front of the obligatory media scrum.

The coach uses words like “buoyant” and “exciting”, but admits there’s an element of caution towards a club he knows will bring a no-prisoners attitude into a do-or-die final.

“It’s our test. They’re one of the all-time teams aren’t they?” Beveridge said.

The swarm of fans gathering outside hasn’t gone unnoticed, however.

“It’s great, it’s fantastic, because I wasn’t sure. I can remember going as a kid to Vic Park and watching the Pies train when Tommy Hafey was coach and seeing the swarms of Collingwood supporters out there,” he said.

“So this morning, when people should be at work and kids should be at school, it’s great to see so many people here.”

Beveridge then exits stage right and out into the bowels of the redeveloped grandstand.

The players are in the middle of a light training session that does nothing to dull the excitement. Crameri is high-fiving, Murphy is running laps and The Bont is gliding across the turf.

Bulldogs with jumpers prowl the soggy path beside the fence, kids huddle for selfies and autographs — in that order these days — and the rain is ignored.

As the players come over to scribble on everything from posters to paintings, the fans start blurting out. “Smash ‘em,” one shouts, “Hit em’ hard,” yells another.

Music blasts through the speakers. Fittingly, it’s Robbie Williams’ Let Me Entertain You. The side AFL boss Gill McLachlan called ‘’sexy’’ has certainly done that in 2016.

Beveridge has made his way to the boundary line fence. He acknowledges another wellwishing fan and then leaps the fence in one motion.

There’s a spring in the coaches step.

Must be finals.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic, bornadog, Bulldog4life, hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stewart Crameri’s return another example of why Western Bulldogs can end Hawthorn reign

Awesome.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stewart Crameri’s return another example of why Western Bulldogs can end Hawthorn reign

End of an era start of a new one. Come on Dogs we can do it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IS that Rolf Muller next to him?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope there is some footage of Stewie's entrance into the team meeting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Love it!

On my Signal, Unleash Hell!

10. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Link

IT was the hijacked team meeting that provided another example of why the Western Bulldogs can end Hawthorn’s extraordinary reign of dominance.

A season plagued by bad luck has fuelled a camaraderie that has helped carry the Dogs into a semi-final. Thursday, that mateship took over a meeting 36 hours before their biggest game of the year.

As thousands of fans descended on the kennel for their boys’ final training session, behind closed doors Jake Stringer stood up suddenly to address his teammates.

Stringer told the team that Stewart Crameri was absent despite his anticipated return to the club after serving a 12-month ASADA ban. But they had prepared a video, Stringer said, which they might as well play.

Someone flicked the lights and the players giggled as they watched Crameri’s head superimposed on a wrestler’s body.

But when Crameri entered the room seconds later — arms raised to thumping WWE music — hilarity ensued.

“‘Crammers’ just walked in to a come-out song like it was WWE,” coach Luke Beveridge said.

“It was amazing, a bit of drama. We’ve all really missed him so it can only be positive, injecting a young lad of great character, back into our club.”

With Crameri too nervous to speak, Robert Murphy takes the floor to present the returning forward with the polka dot jersey — the side’s “super domestique” of the week as hardest worker — to wear for his first official training session back.

The players run out onto a Whitten Oval in the grip of that unmistakeable finals fever.

The same half dozen cars circle the same car park looking for the same spots that won’t exist for the next two hours, the coffee line at the normally quiet Barkers Cafe is stretching towards the front door and the merchandise shop is selling out of stuff that’s been on the shelf for months.

Yep, it’s definitely finals time.

Francis and Amanda Butcher are confident.

“I really think we can win this. I think we’ve got their measure,” Francis said.

Glenn Johnson and his 18-month old daughter Adeline are sitting inside at table No.3 — arguably the most famous number in the club’s history.

“I certainly believe,” Glenn said.

“There’s been a lot of heartache, but all the adversity they’ve overcome this year has been amazing.”

Margaret Jennings has her scarf adorned with badges of Chris Grant (”The most amazing, magnificent human being ever put on this earth”), Lin Jong, Marcus Bontempelli and Caleb Daniel.

“Everything associated with this club I’m proud of — the committee, coaches and the players,” Margaret said.

“The players’ endeavour and application. They give their everything.”

Behind them, at the back of the cafe, a tribute message board is filling up quick.

“This is our year”, “So damn proud” and “Believe” adorn the walls.

Beveridge certainly believes. He strides into his press conference a picture of composure and calm in front of the obligatory media scrum.

The coach uses words like “buoyant” and “exciting”, but admits there’s an element of caution towards a club he knows will bring a no-prisoners attitude into a do-or-die final.

“It’s our test. They’re one of the all-time teams aren’t they?” Beveridge said.

The swarm of fans gathering outside hasn’t gone unnoticed, however.

“It’s great, it’s fantastic, because I wasn’t sure. I can remember going as a kid to Vic Park and watching the Pies train when Tommy Hafey was coach and seeing the swarms of Collingwood supporters out there,” he said.

“So this morning, when people should be at work and kids should be at school, it’s great to see so many people here.”

Beveridge then exits stage right and out into the bowels of the redeveloped grandstand.

The players are in the middle of a light training session that does nothing to dull the excitement. Crameri is high-fiving, Murphy is running laps and The Bont is gliding across the turf.

Bulldogs with jumpers prowl the soggy path beside the fence, kids huddle for selfies and autographs — in that order these days — and the rain is ignored.

As the players come over to scribble on everything from posters to paintings, the fans start blurting out. “Smash ‘em,” one shouts, “Hit em’ hard,” yells another.

Music blasts through the speakers. Fittingly, it’s Robbie Williams’ Let Me Entertain You. The side AFL boss Gill McLachlan called ‘’sexy’’ has certainly done that in 2016.

Beveridge has made his way to the boundary line fence. He acknowledges another wellwishing fan and then leaps the fence in one motion.

There’s a spring in the coaches step.

Must be finals.
    The last team meeting before the game, when a team can tighten up and lose before they start. What a perfect way to relax and if anyone knows the movie Draft Day? This could be our John Candy and Joe Montana moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree 100%.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Yep. Played on Ch7 just now. I think it was The Undertaker's entrance. Great stuff.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Footage will be on Ch7 in a couple of minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Leigh Matthews is senile. Footage of Stewie, emotional, upbeat, and the old ***** pipes up with inference that he's a drug cheat and questioning us treating him like a returning hero.

Bob put him back in his box quickly.

16. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is on the website somewhere. Fairly grainy footage though.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Leigh Matthews is senile. Footage of Stewie, emotional, upbeat, and the old ***** pipes up with inference that he's a drug cheat and questioning us treating him like a returning hero.

Bob put him back in his box quickly.
    What a *!*!*!*!wit...

Post Thanks / Like

Matthews has a "no your football place" Mentality about our club .
    There are a few inflicted with this thought process .