BACK TO TOP

O

D

D

S

A NOTE ABOUT RELEVANT ADVERTISING: We collect information about the content (including ads) you use across this site and use it to make both advertising and content more relevant to you on our network and other sites. This is also known as Online Behavioural Advertising. You can " find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out here

Follow Us

Desktop Site

Digital Print Edition

Privacy Policy

Relevant Ads Opt-out

Cookie Policy

Help

Contact Us

Shop

More News Corp Sites

Terms of Use

Subscription Terms

Group/Corporate Subscriptions

Copyright Herald and Weekly Times. All times AEST (GMT +10:00)

It was a magical night, a pretty special season and hopefully we’re just getting started.

Bob Murphy

Dogs not fazed by hoodoo

Ben Higgins, News Corp Australia September 20, 2016 2:23pm

INJURED Western Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy believes his team has one crucial element missing from past preliminary final failures.

Momentum.

The Bulldogs have lost seven preliminary finals on the trot — dating back to 1985 — and if they are to end that curse must beat Greater Western Sydney at Spotless Stadium on Saturday.

In the most recent defeats, 2008-10, the Bulldogs lost the qualifying final and earnt scrappy wins in their semi-finals.

However, this season has seen the Dogs claim exhilarating wins over West Coast in Perth and Hawthorn at the MCG in a fairytale run.

Bob Murphy hugs Easton Wood and Marcus Bontempelli.

Murphy said it was a great time to be around the club.

“We talk about “gathering the clan”, we’ve got great momentum,” he said on AFL360.

“I was talking to Brad Johnson after the game ... a few years back when we played in preliminary finals was one thing but we never had momentum in a finals series.

MORE PAIN: VIDEO REVIEW COULD HAVE ENDED DOGS CURSE

RUCK DUEL: BIG DOGS LOOK FORWARD TO MUMMY TUSSLE

ADVERTISEMENT

UNDERDOG LOVE: DOGS LAPPING UP RIVAL FANS’ SUPPORT

“Our footy club has been building momentum for a couple years now but to have it on the field at this time of year, it has caught alight within the clan.

“It was a magical night, a pretty special season and hopefully we’re just getting started.”

After playing in the 2008-10 losses, Murphy will miss this year’s clash after rupturing his ACL in Round 3.

Bulldogs v Hawks: 5 key moments

The inspirational skipper said it was tough but was enjoying the ride none-the-less.

“I’m good, I’m having the odd moment of course,” he said.

“Aching not to be out there but it’s small fry to the bigger picture. Where the club’s been to now where it’s at.

“When Caleb Daniel kicked the goal and the siren went and everyone ran. The last couple of years, it just has felt the horizon has lifted every so often. The win up in Sydney last year, it just felt for me, like that moment again.”

It was a magical night, a pretty special season and hopefully we’re just getting started.

Bob Murphy

Dogs not fazed by hoodoo

INJURED Western Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy believes his team has one crucial element missing from past preliminary final failures.

Momentum.

The Bulldogs have lost seven preliminary finals on the trot — dating back to 1985 — and if they are to end that curse must beat Greater Western Sydney at Spotless Stadium on Saturday.

In the most recent defeats, 2008-10, the Bulldogs lost the qualifying final and earnt scrappy wins in their semi-finals.

However, this season has seen the Dogs claim exhilarating wins over West Coast in Perth and Hawthorn at the MCG in a fairytale run.

Bob Murphy hugs Easton Wood and Marcus Bontempelli.

Murphy said it was a great time to be around the club.

“We talk about “gathering the clan”, we’ve got great momentum,” he said on AFL360.

“I was talking to Brad Johnson after the game ... a few years back when we played in preliminary finals was one thing but we never had momentum in a finals series.

“Our footy club has been building momentum for a couple years now but to have it on the field at this time of year, it has caught alight within the clan.

“It was a magical night, a pretty special season and hopefully we’re just getting started.”

After playing in the 2008-10 losses, Murphy will miss this year’s clash after rupturing his ACL in Round 3.

Bulldogs v Hawks: 5 key moments

The inspirational skipper said it was tough but was enjoying the ride none-the-less.

“I’m good, I’m having the odd moment of course,” he said.

“Aching not to be out there but it’s small fry to the bigger picture. Where the club’s been to now where it’s at.

“When Caleb Daniel kicked the goal and the siren went and everyone ran. The last couple of years, it just has felt the horizon has lifted every so often. The win up in Sydney last year, it just felt for me, like that moment again.”