Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  314
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day AFL Week 3 Preliminary Final - GWS Giants V Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'll admit to crying again after that.
    Ditto. About an hour ago. They'll be a few more watchings of the last quarter and celebrations, so I best have salt replacements on hand.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We were watching the replay and my son said "even though I know we win I'm just as nervous as I was watching this the first time."
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

3. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No tears though.

I think my daughter is bored to tears by it.

Post Thanks / Like

2016: THE EXORCISM -- Hoodoo Breaking Finals:

Week 1 – Won an interstate final for the first time since forever. Beat West Coast in Perth for the first time since forever.

Week 2 – Won two finals in a row for the first time since 1961. Beat Hawthorn for the first time since 2010.

Week 3 – Won a preliminary final for first time in 8 tries, first since 1961. LITERALLY knocked Callan Ward out. BOG was Clay Smith, Ward’s direct replacement, picked with the actual draft pick the Dogs received from the AFL for Ward’s defection and given the jumper number vacated by Ward. Knocked over the plastic club that stole two Dogs (one current, one future) captains. Tom Boyd massive contributor. Won another interstate final. Finally won a game despite dominating and wasting chances (normally a Dogs’ trademark of stealing defeat from the jaws of victory).

Week 4 - ???

IN BEV WE TRUST.

6. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear from you Lantern.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Watching the replay again...just because. Commentary: ugh... I think I worked out one reason I hate them so much. Rather than call what is happening, they talk about what happened 20 minutes earlier/last week/earlier in the season etc etc...or they talk about what might happen at some future point in time. Just call the game that you're (supposed to be) watching.

Also, BT's difficulty with factual accuracy... we've heard all week about Soulless Stadium's 24k seat capacity, last night there was just over 21k there, yet in the world according to BT, it was a 'full house' and 'packed to the rafters'.

Obviously he went to the 'Say it with enough conviction and that means it's true' school of sports reporting.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Watching the replay again...just because. Commentary: ugh... I think I worked out one reason I hate them so much. Rather than call what is happening, they talk about what happened 20 minutes earlier/last week/earlier in the season etc etc...or they talk about what might happen at some future point in time. Just call the game that you're (supposed to be) watching.

Also, BT's difficulty with factual accuracy... we've heard all week about Soulless Stadium's 24k seat capacity, last night there was just over 21k there, yet in the world according to BT, it was a 'full house' and 'packed to the rafters'.

Obviously he went to the 'Say it with enough conviction and that means it's true' school of sports reporting.
    BT can't even get the players names right, he is pathetic. Only second behind Bruce in terrible commentary.

10. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have watched the last few minutes of the game on Saturday a few times now. Just fantastic!!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Just watched a replay of the last quarter. Its still nerve-wracking to watch, even knowing the result.

Victory aside, that last quarter is quite simply the best advertisement you could possibly have for the game.

That game drew the second highest ratings for a non-grand final ever. Only the 2011 prelim eclipsed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Should Scully have got a 50m penalty when JJ was within 10m in the last 2 minutes? For once a bad decision favours us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Should Scully have got a 50m penalty when JJ was within 10m in the last 2 minutes? For once a bad decision favours us.
    Umpires boss, Luke Ball, said it shouldn't have been a 50m penalty.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I just remembered....I was sitting at ground level...and when we were either 14 or 8 points down (but certainly more than a goal behind) in the last quarter - the Bulldogs trainer from in front of our bay - stood up - turned towards the crowd and implored us to chant and barrack and started a Bulldogs chant.

How good is that. The trainer, spilling over with passion, putting the job aside for just a moment and being a supporter.

16. Likes azabob, jeemak, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2 massive moments in the game that led to crucial goals and both featured Ryan Griffen.

the first one when he and Clay Smith clashed for a 50/50 ground ball and Clay won the contest and got it to Caleb for that goal at 3/4 time. Absolutely massive moment. When I saw that I thought we can seriously win this.

the other when Matty Boyd read what Griffen was about to do and knocked down a handpass starting a chain of events that led to JJ's decisive run and Bonts breathtaking goal. That put us in front in the last 1/4.

Both featuring enormous willpower by not only Smith and Boyd but all their team mated who cracked in all the way to get out a tap, or a handpass or a bone jarring tackle or just get to it first and force it forward. If We play like that on Saturday and we will take some stopping.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

18. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post

Looking forward to Al's video with multitude radio commentrys of the highlights.

20. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    2 massive moments in the game that led to crucial goals and both featured Ryan Griffen.

the first one when he and Clay Smith clashed for a 50/50 ground ball and Clay won the contest and got it to Caleb for that goal at 3/4 time. Absolutely massive moment. When I saw that I thought we can seriously win this.

the other when Matty Boyd read what Griffen was about to do and knocked down a handpass starting a chain of events that led to JJ's decisive run and Bonts breathtaking goal. That put us in front in the last 1/4.

Both featuring enormous willpower by not only Smith and Boyd but all their team mated who cracked in all the way to get out a tap, or a handpass or a bone jarring tackle or just get to it first and force it forward. If We play like that on Saturday and we will take some stopping.
    I think when Clay Smith handballed the ball between Griffen's legs to Daniel it's the first legitimate nutmeg I've seen in an AFL match. It's one of the highlights of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    Looking forward to Al's video with multitude radio commentrys of the highlights.
    I wish he'd dub entire matches. I'd much prefer the SEN commentary.