Re: Game Day AFL Week 3 Preliminary Final - GWS Giants V Western Bulldogs

Try as he might, not even Dwayne Russell could ruin that match
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Try as he might, not even Dwayne Russell could ruin that match
    Ian Cleland and Doug Bigelow could have called that and it would have been fine
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re-routed post!

Was this the the best game Fletcher Roberts ever filed for us?

I wish we saw more of what he brought in the first half especially. Smart, timely, low-risk interventions as required. It didn't hurt that we were breathing fire on every line and he had waves of support but he just seemed to respond the right way in the right moments.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

PS: re-watching this game made me wistful for the take-no-shit character we had in spades.

Matty Boyd on a mission, a fired up Clay Smith, Libba winding them up, Roughy repeatedly giving it to that shit-truck Mumford before he ate a football, Pickers in everything, Moz being Moz, and Zaine doing his thing.

They were mouthy and trying their trademark faux hardman schtick all night but it just didn't matter when it counted. Special shout out to Jeremy Cameron expending more energy getting into the faces of our blokes if they had a free paid against them then he did going anywhere near the pill in a tough, high-stakes game - two glorious handballs to half time. Onya chief.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

7. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    PS: re-watching this game made me wistful for the take-no-shit character we had in spades.

Matty Boyd on a mission, a fired up Clay Smith, Libba winding them up, Roughy repeatedly giving it to that shit-truck Mumford before he ate a football, Pickers in everything, Moz being Moz, and Zaine doing his thing.

They were mouthy and trying their trademark faux hardman schtick all night but it just didn't matter when it counted. Special shout out to Jeremy Cameron expending more energy getting into the faces of our blokes if they had a free paid against them then he did going anywhere near the pill in a tough, high-stakes game - two glorious handballs to half time. Onya chief.
    The other thing I noticed was the small things, like in the third quarter when Picken does a hand ball along the ground, somehow, Macrae flicks it up to Libba who then passes it forward. Then Dahl does a great smother by throwing himself on the ball. It sure was men of mayhem
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The other thing I noticed was the small things, like in the third quarter when Picken does a hand ball along the ground, somehow, Macrae flicks it up to Libba who then passes it forward. Then Dahl does a great smother by throwing himself on the ball. It sure was men of mayhem
    Aye, the consistency with which those chains of ramshackle but clever and/or gutsy touches came off still makes you reel. With everyone involved in the chain implicitly trusting the bloke before and after each touch to do something constructive for the greater good, even if it was just getting crunched while getting a deft hand to the pill to advantage a teammate.

If we're ever treated to game of footy again I hope Bevo can recreate that solidarity.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

Yep - the attitude is something sorely lacking in the current group (arise, sir Bailey Smith)

I've taped this but managed to watch some of it Saturday morning and saw Jeremy Cameron getting into someone's face and had to laugh - even yelling at the TV 'how about you turn up in a final Jezza before talking?'

Special shout out to Zaine Cordy who was very good - and how good was the don't argue from the Bont to give Cordy his first goal?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Special shout out to Zaine Cordy who was very good - and how good was the don't argue from the Bont to give Cordy his first goal?
    We should really give Cordy another crack as that lock down, fill a gap CHF. Did some handy things during that finals series. He's also turning into a disaster in defence, so kills two birds with one stone.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Likes Sedat, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    We should really give Cordy another crack as that lock down, fill a gap CHF. Did some handy things during that finals series. He's also turning into a disaster in defence, so kills two birds with one stone.
    Ja....while I wouldn't say disaster (though I have been critical) I sense he might be better suited forward.

Though given I'd sling English forward too, I seem to be full of ideas that aren't really solutions.....
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Ja....while I wouldn't say disaster (though I have been critical) I sense he might be better suited forward.

Though given I'd sling English forward too, I seem to be full of ideas that aren't really solutions.....
    I'm open to English playing more forward, too.

I wrote in another thread, but if we swapped Naughton and Cordy, we'd automatically be a 5 goal better side.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'm open to English playing more forward, too.

I wrote in another thread, but if we swapped Naughton and Cordy, we'd automatically be a 5 goal better side.
    That game was very intense, and for a first year player in something like his 10th game Cordy showed a lot of promise as a forward.

He kept his feet under pressure and his goals were the result of quick reflexes. I thought he worked well against one of the strongest defences in the competition. Our forward line has lacked his rampaging attack on the ball lately. On the back line his attributes only appear as one percenters while his opponents kick personal best bags of goals.

With English kicking 50 goals from centre half forward I can see see Cordy making positive contributions from the flank beside him.

16. Likes josie, Twodogs liked this post