Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Johnson - How heavy is our reliance on him?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    His defensive skills aren't that great. He isn't a great field kick.

Maybe I'm being picky, but there are area's he can certainly improve on.
    Try non existent, for his defensive skills/pressure. Also needs to be more prepared to block, shepherd & create space for his team mates, particularly when he isn't getting much of it himself.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Johnson can be our Robert Harvey and play forever

Can just see the Headlines
    "Harvey dropped for crucial game against Gold Coast Wallabies due to Death at 81 years of age"
    Because you cant beat the boys of the BULLDOG breed!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Being pessimistic you could argue he has some pretty major faults, but has found a way to become a very effective forward. I would just like him to focus a bit more on his defensive skills next season as this is certainly an area of his game he could an improve and this improvement will help us become a better side.
    I dont think he has any major flaws and you would have to be extremely picky to say they were major ones.
    The minor flaws as I see them is being to focused on kicking a goal (he missed some people in better positions) and he isnt as strong defensively as he should be.
    That being said though he is playing out of position and is being asked to kick 50 goals each season and he is a fine performer.

Post Thanks / Like

His defensive skills aren't that great. He isn't a great field kick.

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Try non existent, for his defensive skills/pressure. Also needs to be more prepared to block, shepherd & create space for his team mates, particularly when he isn't getting much of it himself.
    Interesting responses above.

He does the job week in and week out, is played out of position and still an echelon of the game. Was All Australian Captain and consistantly makes the All Australia Side. At times defensively he may make the wrong decision. But overall he has been the glue to our side on many an occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    That being said though he is playing out of position and is being asked to kick 50 goals each season and he is a fine performer.
    People tend to forget that minor little detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charmdog View Post

People tend to forget that minor little detail.
    So where should he be playing then??

He was a very good wingman back in the late 90's/ early 00's, but the game has changed and I doubt that he would be as effective.

Don't get me wrong Johnson is an elite player, but there are parts of his game which should be better.

Post Thanks / Like

So where should he be playing then??

He was a very good wingman back in the late 90's/ early 00's, but the game has changed and I doubt that he would be as effective.

Don't get me wrong Johnson is an elite player, but there are parts of his game which should be better.
    He shouldn't be the focal point of our forward line. Guys like Brown and Robertson who play a similar role have Richo and Neitz. Remember that Johnson runs further than at least 19 players in the team weekly and gets a midfielders possessions and a Forwards goals so asking him to sprint after defenders as well will just burn him out

Post Thanks / Like

Those are some good points there Hujsh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    He shouldn't be the focal point of our forward line. Guys like Brown and Robertson who play a similar role have Richo and Neitz. Remember that Johnson runs further than at least 19 players in the team weekly and gets a midfielders possessions and a Forwards goals so asking him to sprint after defenders as well will just burn him out
    Who else is there to play in our forward line?
    Why shouldn't forwards sprint after their opposing defender? Someone like Johnson is more capable of that than your Richo and Neitzs. Our lack of defensive pressure especially in the forward line is a more valid reason why we perform badly than not having a tall key forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Ernie, i think the point that Hujsh is making is that Johnno is already playing out of his skin, and he cannot expect to do it all, as he is already playing as 2 or 3 forwards. Because he is the focal point like Neitz and Richo for there respective teams, he is constantly looked for to present. So players like Robertson and Brown have more to give as they have a bit more in the tank because they are not the only option going forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    Ernie, i think the point that Hujsh is making is that Johnno is already playing out of his skin, and he cannot expect to do it all, as he is already playing as 2 or 3 forwards. Because he is the focal point like Neitz and Richo for there respective teams, he is constantly looked for to present. So players like Robertson and Brown have more to give as they have a bit more in the tank because they are not the only option going forward.

Thats a load of BS and to think otherwise is being naive.

Johnson is an excellent forward, he is the undoubtably thebest forward in the competition for his size, but his defensive efforts are less than satisfactory. Even the coaching staff recognise this and hopefully we will see a more complete player next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Mantis, you dont agree that Johnno is carrying the forwardline by himself and thus this takes more out of him? I dont think his defensive efforts are good either, i am just recognising the fact that he is playing the role of a big and small forward without any breaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    Mantis, you dont agree that Johnno is carrying the forwardline by himself and thus this takes more out of him? I dont think his defensive efforts are good either, i am just recognising the fact that he is playing the role of a big and small forward without any breaks.
    Ok from another point of view.

Johnno finds energy to go chasing easy kick's in the backline when the ball isn't getting down forward, but can't find energy to apply pressure to the opposition to keep the ball inside our 50 when it does get down there. That doesn't make sense to me.

Agree that he has been asked to carry our forwardline and has doen a good job of it, but he needs to work harder at the little things.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok from another point of view.

Johnno finds energy to go chasing easy kick's in the backline when the ball isn't getting down forward, but can't find energy to apply pressure to the opposition to keep the ball inside our 50 when it does get down there. That doesn't make sense to me.

Agree that he has been asked to carry our forwardline and has doen a good job of it, but he needs to work harder at the little things.
    I tend to agree that Johnson needs to work a bit harder on the defensive side of his game but as you and others have pointed out he has been a sensational player for us. Most of the competitions best players still have a flaw or two.

What I most admire about him is that he adapted from being a hard working midfielder in his younger days to being an excellent small forward who plays tall.

I still remember his first game of footy for us. Does anyone remember who is opponent was and who we played?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Who else is there to play in our forward line?
    Why shouldn't forwards sprint after their opposing defender? Someone like Johnson is more capable of that than your Richo and Neitzs. Our lack of defensive pressure especially in the forward line is a more valid reason why we perform badly than not having a tall key forward.
    Never would i ever claim that either of them are better than Johnson. Nietz and Richo form partnerships with the Robertson and Brown which increases both their effectiveness. Johnson and Murph are both skilled but are too similar. If we have Johnson as the focal point when we are under pressure and we kick it to him when some huge ruckman is there loose in defence he would be out marked. Add a key forward who creates the contest instead leaving Johnno to swoop on the loose ball and we are a better team. Then we could kick to Johnno when he is open instead of always kicking it to him.

And our lack of forward pressure is not his fault alone as there are others in the forward line who should do more defensive work before he does.

I said he shouldn't be our focal point but we don't have other options currently, which is the clubs fault and noone else's. So he does the job kickd 50 goals after finishing second in the Colman last year and were arguing over his defensive pressure. How many key forwards get 20 posessions weekly with their goals and then put on allot of defensive pressure

Post Thanks / Like

Never would i ever claim that either of them are better than Johnson. Nietz and Richo form partnerships with the Robertson and Brown which increases both their effectiveness.
    Thier partnerships worked so well that they both finished below us last season.

Johnson and Murph are both skilled but are too similar. If we have Johnson as the focal point when we are under pressure and we kick it to him when some huge ruckman is there loose in defence he would be out marked.
    That would happen with any focal point. Its about quick moment and delivery of the ball. Johnson man on man is better than a lot of talls.

Add a key forward who creates the contest instead leaving Johnno to swoop on the loose ball and we are a better team. Then we could kick to Johnno when he is open instead of always kicking it to him.
    Not telling us anything new here.

And our lack of forward pressure is not his fault alone as there are others in the forward line who should do more defensive work before he does.
    Still doesn't excuse him of not chasing his man.

I said he shouldn't be our focal point but we don't have other options currently,
    Well unless we recruit a Jon Brown type or develop someone instantly thats better than saying he shouldn't be the focal point is pretty silly.

which is the clubs fault and noone else's. So he does the job kickd 50 goals after finishing second in the Colman last year and were arguing over his defensive pressure. How many key forwards get 20 posessions weekly with their goals and then put on allot of defensive pressure
    The good ones do. So because Johnson is very talented then he shouldn't chase. As mentioned already he is more than capable of doing both roles.
    If Johnson has a fault it more than he a touch selfish in front of goal, he rightly believes in his ability and tries take too much on.