Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Fletcher Roberts waits ahead of Western Bulldogs selection

Link

Western Bulldogs defender Fletcher Roberts says he doesn't expect to know until after training on Thursday whether he will be playing in a grand final on Saturday, or join the list of those cursed to be dropped for a decider.

Roberts, 23, played a career-high 16 home-and-away matches this season, but was dropped on the eve of the finals. The tall backman was recalled ahead of last Saturday's preliminary final against Greater Western Sydney after fellow defender Matthew Suckling was pulled from the side with an Achilles issue.

But with Suckling looming as a likely inclusion, Roberts could be the man to make way, notwithstanding his excellent job in keeping Giants spearhead Jeremy Cameron goalless in the Dogs' thrilling win at Spotless Stadium. The fifth-year backman faces the very real prospect that he could miss two grand finals in a week, having been unavailable for Footscray's VFL grand final on Sunday as a result of his senior call-up.

Roberts said on Monday he was intent on focusing on what he can control, rather than fretting about the prospect of selection heartbreak.

"It's really up to the coaches and selection panel, and we trust everything that they make decisions for and about, so [I've got] 100 per cent trust in them and the decisions they make," Roberts told Fairfax Media at the Whitten Oval.

"I'm just trying to focus on my preparation and recovery for the next few days ... and just try and focus on training well and putting my hand up for selection again."

Asked when he expected to find out his fate, Roberts said: "I think it will be pretty similar again. We'll find out after Thursday's training ... I think everyone's pretty excited and focused on having a good week on the track."

Roberts said he didn't know until late last week that he would be returning to the seniors. "It was a bit of a weird week for me. I didn't really know where I was going to play, whether it was going to be VFL grand final or AFL prelim but either way it's an exciting time for the club – for both levels – so I was just preparing for the week and getting ready as I usually do and I was just lucky enough to replace Suckers – which is very unfortunate for him."

Despite Suckling's disappointment, Roberts said the dual premiership player – who became a Bulldog last off-season as a free agent – hadn't sulked, instead providing support for his less experienced teammates. "He came up to me and just said, 'good luck, it's an exciting time for the club, an exciting time for you, your first prelim'. He's a very good teammate, Suckers, with his experience at Hawthorn and now coming across he was able to talk to a lot of us about what we needed to do and really pump us with confidence, which was really good of him."

Suckling's situation is one of several selection quandaries for the Bulldogs, who have midfielder Lin Jong available for a return just over three weeks after breaking his collarbone in the qualifying final against West Coast. Jong won the Norm Goss medal for best afield in Footscray's grand final win over the Casey Scorpions, providing a further headache for the club's selectors. Ruckman Jordan Roughead is likely to play against the Swans despite suffering bleeding behind his eye after copping a forceful football to his face against the Giants.

Roberts gave a glowing appraisal of the club's growth under coach Luke Beveridge. "There is a lot of belief at the club now. We've got a very good list, a lot of depth as you saw with the VFL result yesterday. I think everyone's very much committed to the cause. We really enjoy each other, we've got a great bond with everyone and I think the belief is the main thing. Everyone believes."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fletcher Roberts waits ahead of Western Bulldogs selection

Good article and a mature approach from Fletch.

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will be a tough call on Thursday

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

As an individual effort, his work this season has surpassed the estimation of many. Well done Fletch.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

He played a terrific game against Cameron in the prelim and would be incredibly stiff to miss. I think it's going to come down to match ups.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    He played a terrific game against Cameron in the prelim and would be incredibly stiff to miss. I think it's going to come down to match ups.
    Fletcher Roberts against the Giants...

45mins v Jon Patton (4d, 2gls)
    28mins v Rory Lobb (3d, 0gls)
    21mins v Jeremy Cameron (1d, 0gls)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Fletcher Roberts against the Giants...

45mins v Jon Patton (4d, 2gls)
    28mins v Rory Lobb (3d, 0gls)
    21mins v Jeremy Cameron (1d, 0gls)
    Credit where it's due. I wasn't sold on his inclusion last week, but he was very good.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

What a run of 3 games for Fletch!

VFL Prelim - Won by 119 points. Destroyed his opponents.
    AFL Prelim - Won by 6 points in Sydney. Nullified his opponents.
    AFL Grand Final - ....
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023