Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lin Jong Weighing Up His Options

AFL.com.au reporting that Lin wants a 'guarantee' of senior footy. GCS list manager today has confirmed they've met with Lin & his manager and have strong interest.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Guarantee? Got to work for your position.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the headline was misleading to the article, but honestly almost no one is guaranteed a spot in the side? Especially not a fringe player.....

Post Thanks / Like

It probably would be a win win for Lin to go to GC.

It may be seen as a loss for us in the future as I can see him becoming a very good player once there but he doesn't seem to be likely to get the opportunities he'd need to develop as a player if he stayed here.

GC need guys like Lin and seem to have a surplus of picks so Lin gets what he wants, has an opportunity to develop, gives GC something they need and we should get something of value in return.

With guys coming though like Webb who can play Jong's role but use the ball better we shouldn't feel his loss too much. Jong's point of difference was his pace but he has rarely utilized it since the start of last year, often acting as the first or second player in the handball chain and rarely using the ball well once he gets it.

I'd be happy to keep him but it might be better for all involved if he goes. Guess it depends on the importance of the family/home factor on his performance/happiness though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
    I think the headline was misleading to the article, but honestly almost no one is guaranteed a spot in the side? Especially not a fringe player.....
    The only guarantee he's going to get about getting games is from GCS. That guarantee also comes with guaranteed ongoing failure as a club. Double edged sword.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

With GC having 6 picks in the top 27 we could get a very decent package for Lin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    With GC having 6 picks in the top 27 we could get a very decent package for Lin
    Yep. Maybe an upgrade from pick 18 to pick 9 (with them having 4, 6, 14 and in that scenario 18 - so they still have 4 first rounders). Or a straight pick for a second rounder of theirs: 21, 22, 24 or 27.

Hartlett has already told gcs no, so as their targets reduce down in numbers Jong's value increases.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. Maybe an upgrade from pick 18 to pick 9 (with them having 4, 6, 14 and in that scenario 18 - so they still have 4 first rounders). Or a straight pick for a second rounder of theirs: 21, 22, 24 or 27.

Hartlett has already told gcs no, so as their targets reduce down in numbers Jong's value increases.
    Jong + 18 for 3 picks in the 20s?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    2 would be more realistic IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    2 would be more realistic IMO.
    Will come down to how many list spots they have and how much Jong's value increases as other players become unavailable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I'm guessing there is a bit of journalistic license with the 'guarantee' but. I'm sure neither Lin or his manager are naive enough to presume ANYONE has a permanently guaranteed spot in the 22. However I would not be surprised if they are asking the club where they see Lin siting in the pecking order. That is, if all things being equal and he's in form and the team has a full complement to choose from - does the club see him as likely to be in their best 22?
    A fair question to ask, especially if Gold Coast were to convey to his management that they see him as best 22 on form.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends if Dal likes a top 10 kid if we could upgrade to 9. But on your point of 23, 25 & 28 with Brisbane getting 19 as a PP.

I think of him about on par with Tom Bell - That trade to Brisbane was Bell & 41 for 21 & 60. So if we move around the second/third round maybe.

Jong, 18 & 37 - for - 23, 25, 28 & 41. So GCS get Jong as well as two upgrades in the first and second rounds (23/18 & 41/37) for an extra 250 draft points. For Jong, a 5 pick upgrade into the first round and a 4 pick upgrade into the second round, GCS would part with 25 & 28.

Dogs: 23, 25, 28 & 41 (60)
    GCS: 4, 6, 9, 14, 18, 21, 37 and Jong

Something like this?

Post Thanks / Like

Depends if Dal likes a top 10 kid if we could upgrade to 9. But on your point of 23, 25 & 28 with Brisbane getting 19 as a PP.

I think of him about on par with Tom Bell - That trade to Brisbane was Bell & 41 for 21 & 60. So if we move around the second/third round maybe.

Jong, 18 & 37 - for - 23, 25, 28 & 41. So GCS get Jong as well as two upgrades in the first and second rounds (23/18 & 41/37) for an extra 250 draft points. For Jong, a 5 pick upgrade into the first round and a 4 pick upgrade into the second round, GCS would part with 25 & 28.

Something like this?
    I would do that in a heart beat.

Post Thanks / Like

I would do that in a heart beat.
    As would I and looking at it you'd have to say GCS would too.

As a side note where are people getting their draft orders from? GC have a different lot of picks than you guys are suggesting on the afl site
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-0...fl-draft-order

Post Thanks / Like

Something like this?
    Don't we need to use a 1st round pick this year with the 2 in 4 rule?