Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lin Jong Weighing Up His Options

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Don't we need to use a 1st round pick this year with the 2 in 4 rule?
    No, the rule only came in last year so if we trade it out this year we have to use them in the next 2 years.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jong has been formally offered a 3 year deal at Gold Coast, with a pitch about getting games. Not sure we can compete with that, or want to compete with that.

Option 1) Seek upgrade from pick 18 to pick 9 and send Dal to get another top 10 gun.
    Option 2) Package up picks to stockpile second rounders which Dal has been nailing.
    Option 3) Look at offers on Prestia & Jaeger, using Jong and pick 18.
    Option 4) Get involved in three way trades with Jaeger & Prestia, to get a player from Richmond or Hawthorn.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance he walks there in the PSD?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I guess there is, but he's got to get to GCS at 4. If he still loves the club, but he wants more games, I'd like to think he wouldn't do that to us.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I'd be more concerned about Stevens walking the PSD.

Having said that I wouldn't be too fussed if both walked and we got zero in return (I think Im still on my GF high)....
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Jong has been formally offered a 3 year deal at Gold Coast, with a pitch about getting games. Not sure we can compete with that.
    I'd disagree on that point. Jongy played the majority of games in our best 22 this year and only missed going beyond the first final due to injury. He was quite stiff to miss out on the GF and has the opportunity to play in more GF's at his home.

If I was Jong, I'd stay put, back myself to be a five year player and test myself up at the pointy end of the ladder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I'd disagree on that point. Jongy played the majority of games in our best 22 this year and only missed going beyond the first final due to injury. He was quite stiff to miss out on the GF and has the opportunity to play in more GF's at his home.

If I was Jong, I'd stay put, back myself to be a five year player and test myself up at the pointy end of the ladder.
    I would too if I was Jong. But that's not what I said. He and his manager have stated the need for the dogs to deliver regular games. We can't make this guarantee and our offer is two years. GCS are offering a longer contract, probably better money and offer him a more certain guarantee of senior games. In light of that, my money is on him leaving amicably and hopefully a decent trade somehow.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be very disappointing to see Lin Jong end up at the GCS. Apart from his injury late in the season may well have been in our best 22.Jong may lack a little skill but has the tenacity and determination to become a regular senior player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Jong has been formally offered a 3 year deal at Gold Coast, with a pitch about getting games. Not sure we can compete with that, or want to compete with that.

Option 1) Seek upgrade from pick 18 to pick 9 and send Dal to get another top 10 gun.
    Option 2) Package up picks to stockpile second rounders which Dal has been nailing.
    Option 3) Look at offers on Prestia & Jaeger, using Jong and pick 18.
    Option 4) Get involved in three way trades with Jaeger & Prestia, to get a player from Richmond or Hawthorn.
    Had me worried you were talking about trading Dahlhaus when I read that. Thought you'd gone right off the deep end

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Had me worried you were talking about trading Dahlhaus when I read that. Thought you'd gone right off the deep end
    Yeah, but nah. Fwiw I'm a long way off the deep end already and I can't swim!

Post Thanks / Like

I like Jong but I can't see how he gets there.
    Our Premiership 22 will be there next year, with Dunckley set to be best 22 after another pre-season. Webb has huge upside, Wallis will come back to the side 2018, and we're likely to hit the draft and pick up a burst mid in the next year in the first round which knowing Dal will be a smashing success.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mofra. Jong and his management can see the writing on the wall in terms of likely opportunity within our club from a playing and pay perspective.

It's a good move for him, I wish him all the best.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re- signed for two years
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Re- signed for two years
    Very nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Very nice!
    Knocked back an extra year and more money from GCS. Good stuff Lin.